hidden valley cyclocross series cancelled?

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i saw on one of the many websites today that the hidden valley CX series has been cancelled...i guess there just was not enough interest...bummer because i was going to go to tomorrows as my first CX

what other NJ cx races are coming up?

sixseven

Isn't cyclocross the miniature golf version of mountain biking?

It may be way ahead of it's time...or it may have some euroroots that noone in the states quite gets yet but i can't think of another sport that is trying so hard to get established and it is just not taking. At least not on the east coast.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Isn't cyclocross the miniature golf version of mountain biking?

It may be way ahead of it's time...or it may have some euroroots that noone in the states quite gets yet but i can't think of another sport that is trying so hard to get established and it is just not taking. At least not on the east coast.

Actually, it is quite the spectator friendly bike race, as all the action is right in front of you and you can walk to get to most "hotspots" on the course. Check one out, as it is pretty cool to watch. In order to race it, you have to be in some darn good shape because you are redline most of the time. I know I wouldn't be able to do it without looking like an out of shape fool :p.

Skylands Cycling was kind enough to set up a demo course at JORBA Fest and Marty's supplied some demo CX bikes -- unfortunately for me, I was too busy that day to get an opportunity to try it out. I hope others out there did.

AJ

sixseven

Actually, it is quite the spectator friendly bike race, as all the action is right in front of you and you can walk to get to most "hotspots" on the course. Check one out, as it is pretty cool to watch. In order to race it, you have to be in some darn good shape because you are redline most of the time. I know I wouldn't be able to do it without looking like an out of shape fool :p.

Skylands Cycling was kind enough to set up a demo course at JORBA Fest and Marty's supplied some demo CX bikes -- unfortunately for me, I was too busy that day to get an opportunity to try it out. I hope others out there did.

AJ

True, but no racers=no spectators. It seems like another hybrid market to sell bikes and parts.
I am not in great shape so it's not for me, and I missed the demo at Jorbafest.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
i saw on one of the many websites today that the hidden valley CX series has been cancelled...i guess there just was not enough interest...bummer because i was going to go to tomorrows as my first CX

what other NJ cx races are coming up?

You could also come down to the Rutgers CX practices on wednesdays, they're tons o' fun/pain and are a great way to get CX race prep in...

-Jim.

CX not taking on the East coast..U R kidding:hysterica...MAC series in Charm city MD had 495 racer show up and race....U tell me what Local MTB race can draw those kind of numbers? Also, check out the numbers for the nationals in December...I registered 2 minutes after online reg was open and in my 35-39 age group it already had 45 riders. By the time the race rolls around the second week of December it will be over 150...MTB has not seen these numbers since the 1990's. East coast is a HOT spot for CX and it is just going to get bigger.

BiknBen

CX not taking on the East coast..U R kidding:hysterica...

Agree. CX is arguably hottest in the northeast. CX originated in Europe about a century before the MTB. The northeast and northwest are the two hotbeds of US cyclo-cross. The climates in these areas closely match what is found in the CX hot spots of Europe.

In general CX is a stupid fast race that lasts 45-60 minutes. Legs and lungs are obviously required. A good CX racer also has specific skills for mounting and dismounting the bike at full speed to run over steep hills and man-made barriers.

The courses are very compact. It is certainly the most spectator-friendly discipline of bike racing. The crowds move around the course like a wave similar to watching Tiger play golf. Really funny to observe.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
You could also come down to the Rutgers CX practices on wednesdays, they're tons o' fun/pain and are a great way to get CX race prep in...

-Jim.

id like to do those practices, but i think you need a racing license for them, and they dont do the $10 one day thing

Steve Vai

id like to do those practices, but i think you need a racing license for them, and they dont do the $10 one day thing

Contact Mark via the email on Bikereg. I'm sure he could work something out if you just wanted to try it.

-Jim.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
so i signed up for the race next weekend at mahwah, but i have no idea what time it starts, i searched high and low and found nothing...anyone know?

Steve Vai

No problem son. Let me know the next time you need something painfully obvious pointed out:D

-Jim.

Top Bottom