Hi, new guy here, Montclair area, looking for riding friends

kidzach

Welcome aboard Ian. Well , you chose the worst county to move into for mountain biking. I'm here too:(. High Mountain is not too far for legal riding. My favorite parks are about 45 minutes away. Mahlon , Chimney Rock, Allamuchy North.

Mathers

Hopefully this crazy influx of new riders will make the county reconsider their laws and make riding in parks legal. Its either that or they are going to crack down hard on mountain bikers in county parks as they have done from time to time. I'm friendly with an Essex sheriff, you don't want to get caught if they have orders to stop mountain bikers. It only takes a couple complaints from hikers to stir shit up.
What are the consequences?
I think most residents don't mind mountain bikers here but wouldn't agree to legalize it because the crowd it would bring to the Essex county parks.
I had a guy record me and start threatening to send it the Essex county sheriff. I kept my mouth shut and he just kept threatening me.

kidzach

I think most residents don't mind mountain bikers here but wouldn't agree to legalize it because the crowd it would bring to the Essex county parks.
I had a guy record me and start threatening to send it the Essex county sheriff. I kept my mouth shut and he just kept threatening me. Hi
I used to ride Mills ( we called it Freaks Peak as teenagers and would hang out and drink a few beers )from time to time. But once the person fell off the cliff and passed away, I have stayed away. People never bothered me. But then again I never went on weekends. It's not worth it anyway. South Mountain I am sure is awesome. I just don't know the trails.

bergsnj

I had a guy record me and start threatening to send it the Essex county sheriff. I kept my mouth shut and he just kept threatening me.
Worst case: $500 Fine and bike confiscation

Last edited:

Cassinonorth

Welcome aboard Ian. Well , you chose the worst county to move into for mountain biking. I'm here too:(. High Mountain is not too far for legal riding. My favorite parks are about 45 minutes away. Mahlon , Chimney Rock, Allamuchy North.

I kinda felt that way for a bit...now I feel like I have 5 or 6 awesome options that I really like within 30-40 minutes of me that makes me not keep riding the same place over and over.

Within 45 minutes of my door I have Six Mile, Chimney Rock, Tourne/Lew Mo (meh), Wildcat, Allamuchy/Stephens/Deer Park, High Mountain etc.

Ian87

Welcome !!!!!!!and thank you for your service!!!!!!...this form is a great source of info and will really help you out moving forward!!!some really great people on here !!!!good luck and see you on the trails
Hi, and than you.

RickVaughn

once you get a taste for rocks you won't want anything else. Happy to give you tours of Lewis Morris, Tourne, Ringwood, and High Mountain. In that order probably

Becks

Hi Ian... Welcome to the group. Lots of good people here as well as information. Congratulations on your new ride !

Ian87

once you get a taste for rocks you won't want anything else. Happy to give you tours of Lewis Morris, Tourne, Ringwood, and High Mountain. In that order probably

Hi, and thank you. I'll definitely be looking to get acquainted with the trails out there. I might hit you up. Bike should be here in a few days.

Cassinonorth

105626167_10158253195164020_2849611386029894419_n.jpg

Rocksrgood4u

I wonder if this is limited to those two parks. The old saw about mtber's wrecking stuff is hard to argue against whilst the yoots are busy building jump lines ... welcome to Essex!!!

conarIde

Welcome !!!!!!!and thank you for your service!!!!!!...this form is a great source of info and will really help you out moving forward!!!some really great people on here !!!!good luck and see you on the trails
Yeah, that's true;)

Btw you have a great bike!

GreenMachine

Is it legal to ride cedar grove ?

Top Bottom