Hi - I'm new, but I have a really old bike

syncroscat

Hi Ya'll:

I'm new to MTBNJ. Started riding in 1993. Still riding my Stump Jumper. No suspension whatsoever. Maybe I'll upgrade someday. Hope to see you out on the trails.

Deb

Welcome. I ride Allamuchy/Deer Park often. Feel free to hit me up if interested in joining.

Must be nice to have the Sussex Branch and Paulinskill Valley Trails so close to you. Good places to spin. Bikes have evolved greatly since 93, with front an rear suspension. The SJ would have been retro cool in 2006, and if you stripped the gears off, "rigid single speed tuff dude cool" in 2007-2008, but now bigger 29" wheels are in favor so some like to joke that the 26ers have fallen off the evolutionary ladder. What matters is that we all enjoy riding..Welcome

Oh Panhead, I so knew that was coming.

I think I'm emotionally attached to my SJ. What to do?

If you like it, keep it. Or put it on CL as vintage and ask for $1,500 since it is old school.

Squish is nice, but not required.

I ride vintage as well. Worked great back then, still works awesome now. Cmon over to Allamuchy on the weekends, Reggie and I are there all the time.

I ride vintage as well. Worked great back then, still works awesome now. Cmon over to Allamuchy on the weekends, Reggie and I are there all the time.

I know right. My bike's been down Snow Shoe, Mt. Snow and Killington (back in the day). It's still a good ride. I'm an old lady now, so I'm finding it a bit hard to control on the rocky downhills.

I suppose I'd like to try the green trail. But maybe should just try Deer Park and Stephens first. I have to get my fitness level up a lot before I can keep up wit da boyz.

Good to hear from you Johnee.:eek:

I know right. My bike's been down Snow Shoe, Mt. Snow and Killington (back in the day). It's still a good ride. I'm an old lady now, so I'm finding it a bit hard to control on the rocky downhills.

I suppose I'd like to try the green trail. But maybe should just try Deer Park and Stephens first. I have to get my fitness level up a lot before I can keep up wit da boyz.

Good to hear from you Johnee.:eek:

Deer Park and Stephens are both great to "get back into it". Both have easier trails with a nice mix of more challenging/technical when you wan it.

There are a lot of peeps hitting up these areas on here. Keep an eye out for one that you're comfortable with. Remember, we were all "beginners" at one point.

Hi Deb!

When I started riding again a few years ago...I was on a 1993 Stumpjumper (M2FS, so it has a front fork, barely).

Welcome.

Hi Ya'll:

I'm new to MTBNJ. Started riding in 1993. Still riding my Stump Jumper. No suspension whatsoever. Maybe I'll upgrade someday. Hope to see you out on the trails.

Deb
I had a Stumpjumper and it is a very capable bike. I rode it until I finally broke the frame.

Hi Deb!

When I started riding again a few years ago...I was on a 1993 Stumpjumper (M2FS, so it has a front fork, barely).

Welcome.

I still have my M2, and I use it on the rail to trails (Henry Hudson Trail). The original Specialized "Future Shock" is on it and still works as well as ever,... which, of course, means like crap. I started out on a rigid bike, and my go to bike now is a rigid SS. Welcome to the site, and I hope ride with you soon.

I still have my M2, and I use it on the rail to trails (Henry Hudson Trail). The original Specialized "Future Shock" is on it and still works as well as ever,... which, of course, means like crap. I started out on a rigid bike, and my go to bike now is a rigid SS. Welcome to the site, and I hope ride with you soon.

I still have mine too. I took the future shock off it...though I still have it somewhere. M2 frames were great...especially for their time.

My SJ may be a '94 or '95. I started riding in '93 on a hundred pound GT. The SJ is grey. I posted a picture from the '09 ITC triathlon in my profile. Was the M2 a carbon fiber frame in navy blue around '95? I wanted that one, but got a better deal on my steel SJ. I had a Manatoux (sp?) shock on it briefly, it was nice, but I think it broke and I got the fork put back on.

Back
Top Bottom