Hi all! Newbie here. Entry-level bikes?

joenova

Hi everyone! Very new to MTB and just joined today. So new, in fact, I took my 3 year-old cheap Walmart bike over to 6 Mile Run on Monday and it basically fell apart, lol. The brakes barely stopped me, the gears kept slipping, the seat came loose, and by the time I was done the handlebars came completely loose and had to walk out the last few hundred feet. Thankfully was able to borrow an Allen key from someone (next time I will be bringing my own multi-tool).

Anyway, as I said, I'm very, very new to this and am looking for suggestions in the $600-$1000 range. I see some entry-level Giant bikes for around that price but wasn't sure how reliable they would be at that price point. I will likely not be doing many technical trails until I get more used to the sport at which point I fully intend to upgrade but until then I'm just looking for something that will hold up while I get my feet wet.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your experience, but not shocked.... Bikes are still difficult to find. If you can stretch the budget some more, that may open up a few more options. Since you mention Six Mile, check out Halter's. @jdog may have some ideas for ya. Good to support local shops, especially that one, if you like Six Mile.
Looking at used bikes ( https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forums/bikes-for-sale.20/) is another way to make your $$$ go further.

EJphotos

Welcome! Yeah an entry level bike like the Giant you mentioned will be tons better than the Walmart bike and will make trail riding more enjoyable. Plus, youd have the bike shop who have put it together, who actually know what they are doing, plus the bike will come with a warranty and the customer service can easily be handled through the shop.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
welcome!

definitely check out Halter's since it sounds like you're in his neighborhood. Another shop to check out is Cycle Craft (Parsippany). I think Trek also has some bikes in the range you're looking at but i think your biggest obstacle will just actually finding something in stock. And as others have said, buying used may stretch those dollars a little more.

joenova

So I'm not sure, actually. The one I took out this week was 29" which I've read is great for longer trips (more efficient) and getting over obstacles but it did seem very difficult for me to get up the steeper inclines (wonder if this has to do with the quality of the bike itself or not). A 27.5 might be easier for me to maneuver but I don't like that it becomes more difficult to get over obstacles. I'm also kind of a heavier guy, 5'10" and ~210-215lbs (working on this) in case that helps any. Any pros/cons would be awesome (I've read a bunch of articles but sometimes it's better articulated in this format, lol).

As for everyone else, thanks so much for the replies! Appreciate all the great info so far. I definitely plan on purchasing from a local shop (Halter's or Pop's based on recommendations I've seen here) if I don't buy used. I had been looking at some used ones and figured I could get it tuned after buying it but, again, not quite sure what to be looking for. Regardless of used vs. new, though, I figure do as much homework ahead of time as I can, haha.

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
So I'm not sure, actually. The one I took out this week was 29" which I've read is great for longer trips (more efficient) and getting over obstacles but it did seem very difficult for me to get up the steeper inclines (wonder if this has to do with the quality of the bike itself or not). A 27.5 might be easier for me to maneuver but I don't like that it becomes more difficult to get over obstacles. I'm also kind of a heavier guy, 5'10" and ~210-215lbs (working on this) in case that helps any. Any pros/cons would be awesome (I've read a bunch of articles but sometimes it's better articulated in this format, lol).

As for everyone else, thanks so much for the replies! Appreciate all the great info so far. I definitely plan on purchasing from a local shop (Halter's or Pop's based on recommendations I've seen here) if I don't buy used. I had been looking at some used ones and figured I could get it tuned after buying it but, again, not quite sure what to be looking for. Regardless of used vs. new, though, I figure do as much homework ahead of time as I can, haha.
Errr.... at 5'10, you are between sizes for most brands. You can either go with a M or L and it will pretty much comes down to preference. Some might say it broadens your options but others might say more things to consider b4 pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

joenova

Errr.... at 5'10, you are between sizes for most brands. You can either go with a M or L and it will pretty much comes down to preference. Some might say it broadens your options but others might say more things to consider b4 pulling the trigger.
Yeah, I thought I might be based on some size charts I've come acros, lol. So when you say M or L you're referring to frame size, right?? What about wheel size? Any recommendations/suggestions for my height/weight/skill level or do I have to really just test ride each?

kearneyb

this might be of interest to you for a used bike. 27.5, medium, mid line components. i'm 5'10 and 180lbs and ride an older version of this bike in medium. i don't care for the ardent race as a rear tire, but waiting on a few more punctures before upgrading.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I thought I might be based on some size charts I've come acros, lol. So when you say M or L you're referring to frame size, right?? What about wheel size? Any recommendations/suggestions for my height/weight/skill level or do I have to really just test ride each?
I think 27.5 vs 29 is a personal choice for most riders. That said, just pick one and go with it, where it, is 29. You may want to look at a hardtail with a 27.5+ setup. You can usually run the larger volume 27.5+ for more traction/smoothness, and then pick up a spare 29er wheelset when you want something a little quicker.

And yes, when someone is talking about S/M/L/XL, they're referring to the frame size, not the wheel size.

joenova

this might be of interest to you for a used bike. 27.5, medium, mid line components. i'm 5'10 and 180lbs and ride an older version of this bike in medium. i don't care for the ardent race as a rear tire, but waiting on a few more punctures before upgrading.

Thanks! It looks like it might be an option. Appreciate it!

joenova

I think 27.5 vs 29 is a personal choice for most riders. That said, just pick one and go with it, where it, is 29. You may want to look at a hardtail with a 27.5+ setup. You can usually run the larger volume 27.5+ for more traction/smoothness, and then pick up a spare 29er wheelset when you want something a little quicker.
Ahh, makes sense. I've been considering a hardtail mainly due to price but also because I've been reading it's better for learning and better control.

And yes, when someone is talking about S/M/L/XL, they're referring to the frame size, not the wheel size.
Thanks! I really appreciate all the info. :)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yes, I was talking about bike frame size.
As mentioned, between 2.75 vs 29 is a personal preference. With that said, personally speaking, due to where I ride most (NNJ), my preference is for the roll over of the 29er.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
$600-$1000 is a very wide range. There's going to be big differences between a $600 bike and a $1000 bike.

It may be a stretch, but a $1000 bike will be much more enjoyable due to lighter/better components than a $600 bike.

Top Bottom