Hey guys - Stephans Park question, Waterloo

HybridR7

Hey, new to the site, great stuff. Exp biker, beginner mtbiker. Ride the Waterloo section mostly, having trouble reading some trail maps though. I see a lot of Google earth stuff but not the section where I ride. I park right off Waterloo road when coming from 206. I believe that's the Sussex branch trail? I have been riding short, mainly flat un-marked single tracks on either side of the rail trail for now. (I enter them around the point of that huge blown-out rock on both sides of the rail trail) Are there any maps that show these trails? Also, is the map that is supplied at Parking, the most accurate still? Any info would be great, thanks!

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Hey, new to the site, great stuff. Exp biker, beginner mtbiker. Ride the Waterloo section mostly, having trouble reading some trail maps though. I see a lot of Google earth stuff but not the section where I ride. I park right off Waterloo road when coming from 206. I believe that's the Sussex branch trail? I have been riding short, mainly flat un-marked single tracks on either side of the rail trail for now. (I enter them around the point of that huge blown-out rock on both sides of the rail trail) Are there any maps that show these trails? Also, is the map that is supplied at Parking, the most accurate still? Any info would be great, thanks!

Those trails aren't legal trails. The legal trails off of Sussex Branch are the Red, White, and Blue. They are shown on the map and have large signs at their trailheads. The map at the lot is accurate and has the major trails in the park. The singletracks in the middle of the park aren't shown on the maps and might best be left to a time when someone can show you around, or you have enough time to get lost and find yourself based on the map. Allamuchy is somewhat advanced mtb'ing. If you can do the relatively short red loop, you should be able to handle the rest of the park, i think. If you want to experiment take the red loop in and follow it clockwise. The main white, red, and blue although double track are still very fun and difficult.

Good luck.

HybridR7

Please excuse my lack of mtb terms but what do you mean by legal? Just not marked or off limits for some reason?

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Mostly correct

Brian got most of it right. There are several flat trails that are on either side of the rail trail that are pirate trails (not put in with permission from the DEP, poorly constructed, go thru sections that are wet in the spring, are off camber...no need to go on). There are several unmarked old roads, the newly constructed Byram Trial, as well as the Highland Trail (Teal Blazes) that go off the rail trail that are legal. Yes, the Highland trail is legal for bike use in Allamuchy.

One other slight correction the "new" DEP map of the Park has several errors on it. Go here ( http://www.jorba.org/index.php?page=8&sid=8a916406ae3302769edc49a95bf4b49c)for a map of the North and Deer Park sections of the Park. In the future, there will be a map of the trails in the Stephens section of the park as well; we (JORBA) just have to sort out blazing with the Park.

If you want to learn more about, the Park and JORBA make sure to come out to JORBAfest on September 13th (http://bikefest.jorba.org/).

Bob W.

Takedown

I have been riding up and down Stephen State park/Allamuchy entering from Mt. Olive for the last month and man allot of it still does not make sense. Most of my riding as been during the week and I have only seen one other rider in the 10 times I have gone out. I like the riding but nothing it marked, I have seen one trail marker and it was white; after a few markers they disapear. Today we tried to make it from Mt Olive to Allamuchy, we got to the RC plane field.....is anyone familiar with this area? How far from the RC plane field are the trails mentioned in previous post in this thread?

Also I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend GPS, hoping it will help me navigate the place. Anyone know ho much help it will be?

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
SSP Trials

There are a handfull of marked trails near the Stephens Office. Other than that none are currently marked. Read the other post regarding the plans to mark other trails in the Park.

Bob W

HybridR7

Cliff and cars

I'm just starting to realize all the crazy stuff you see deep in the woods too. I think it's a blue trail off the sussex rail trail by the creek that climbs up to the top of the mountain? Before it peaks on the right there is a truck that looks like it's from the 50's, all rusted up but tires still lol - and some strange contraption a little further up that looks like an old wood chopper lol. Anyway, if anyone wants to check out a trail with a 60' drop 2' to your left, take that blue to the top of the mountain and prior to the descent, the trail tightens and you're riding about 2' from the edge of the mountain, totally cool, first time for me so I was stoked lol.

HybridR7

Yea, that was the roughest for me so far, I didn't know by the map I had that it literally went right to the top lol

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions