Hey all

Zudnik

Hey all. Got out on the trails for the first time in like 10 years yesterday. Oh my goodness it kicked my butt. I only read about 6 miles then also into Lewis Morris. I couldn't even get up the first incline on the yellow up from the first bridge (going clockwise). I'm soooooo out of shape. And even though my current bike has 26" wheels I was struggling so much with some of the sharp turns. I even had to get off a few times and walk it downhill since I wasn't comfortable I could make the turn. Totally embarrassed. I only went to the top of yellow then cut to red then back to yellow. Took me like 90 minutes and I only did like 4.5 miles in the park oh and of course since I didn't think it would take long I had no water.

What did I learn? Don't get old and out of shape. I hope it gets easier

Welcome! It definitely gets easier if you keep at it. Lewis Morris was the only place I rode back when I started, and it used to take me an hour and a half to do the five mile long yellow loop. I walked up every hill and huffed and puffed for a few minutes before continuing on.

I also decided to start biking at Lewis Morris after about a 10 year hiatus. I remember thinking the orange loop was sooo hardcore and would feel like puking the whole time (orange loop is under 3 miles haha). Exactly a year later I did a 12 mile race there. It’s a really good park to work on your fitness and start building some confidence.

Welcome @Zudnik
Yeah, LewMo will punch you right in the ding dong if you're not in shape. Keep at it. It never gets easier, you just go less slow....
To get some more saddle time, without the climbing, go across the street to Patriots Path and head west.

Last edited:
I like LewMo for the cardio and agree with all posters above. When I got back into riding years ago from raising a family and such the park kicked my tail as well. Keep at it.. it does get easier and more fulfilling as you gain strength.

Hey all. Got out on the trails for the first time in like 10 years yesterday. Oh my goodness it kicked my butt. I only read about 6 miles then also into Lewis Morris. I couldn't even get up the first incline on the yellow up from the first bridge (going clockwise). I'm soooooo out of shape. And even though my current bike has 26" wheels I was struggling so much with some of the sharp turns. I even had to get off a few times and walk it downhill since I wasn't comfortable I could make the turn. Totally embarrassed. I only went to the top of yellow then cut to red then back to yellow. Took me like 90 minutes and I only did like 4.5 miles in the park oh and of course since I didn't think it would take long I had no water.

What did I learn? Don't get old and out of shape. I hope it gets easier
I'm on the same boat pretty much, I have been on and off with mountain biking, all I can say it gets frustrating when you want to do something you used to but you are out of shape, I already lost a few pounds and I can't wait till I ride like I used to again. I am motivated and this time I'm doing whatever it takes not to lose the motivation again.

Welcome! Lewis Morris is a great place to start riding. I started at the Tourne, and that's another place to ride if you want to get some variety.

This hot weather with humid, heavy air makes it tougher too, so it may not just be your fitness. Those loops will be much easier in the cooler weather, and when you have some mileage in your legs.

Welcome to the club!!! it gets easier, and the enjoyment returns.
Stick with it, see ya out there.

P!

I plan on taking my first trip to Lewis Morris very soon. Whats the best route to take. I'm not completely out of shape but I do get tired easily. Any tips on where to go? I'm fairly new to riding but have know about Mountain Biking for a while. I got my first bike 4 months ago and have been riding around town often.

Back
Top Bottom