Help with organizing my "back to basics" approach for first half of 2020...

carvegybe

Hi All

Following 1.5 years on Trainnerroad building up muscular endurance for MTB-ing, I think I reached that 80/20 point where incremental power improvements will demand time and effort that is probably better dedicated towards addressing weaknesses, such as skills, flexibility, core strength, etc. Regarding skills, I signed up for the Ninja intermediate/advance course in Philly in September (thanks to recommendation provided on mtbnj) but I want to go into that course prepared: knowing how to do the hip hinge correctly (should be easy with speed skating/windsurfing background many decades ago), practice weight distribution on bike with correct timing, develop some core strength (current upper body strength is barely adequate for chess), etc.

My question: is this pre-skills stuff something I should practice at home with youtube videos, should I join a pilates class at the gym (already a gym member, but I don't believe any trainers there have much knowledge about MTBing), or is there a dedicated course for this that someone can recommend for a person based in Central NJ (yes, it does exist: https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/12...ist-gov-murphy-just-settled-the-argument.html)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Carvegybe

jklett

I don't think you could ever go wrong by increasing strength and flexibility whether it's motivated by riding or just overall health. That said, I'm in a similar place as you and I'm trying to get better.

I watch how people ride and there's a few things that I notice separate the beginners from the experts. The biggest thing is spatial awareness, followed by balance, coordination, and timing. The better riders are vastly more aware of where their bodies are in relation to the bike and how much or little they have to move to execute the maneuver.

I think that there's a few ways that someone could improve themselves with that. One way is to video yourself trying different things and seeing how you move. If you're more the class type, something like gymnastics, parkour, or even ballet would help with knowing your movements. There's always sessioning things until you figure it out.

Break's over, I'll write more at lunch.

Now everyone can tell me how full of it I am.?

Mathers

I started about 2 years ago riding MTB and nothing beats just riding more. I hadn't been on bike in over 20 years and that was on a BMX bike.
I have learned a lot form watching other riders. Youtube has a ton of instructional videoa as well as just watching other riders with awsome skill to give you some ideas on how to move the bike around and you around on the bike.

Get in on as many group rides as possible and riding with stronger riders will make you push harder than you would riding alone.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My question: is this pre-skills stuff something I should practice at home with youtube videos, should I join a pilates class at the gym (already a gym member, but I don't believe any trainers there have much knowledge about MTBing), or is there a dedicated course for this that someone can recommend for a person based in
Let me ask what are you training for? Xc racing, enduros, general fitness/skills when riding?

There is no one particular excercise that will help you be a better mtber. Some folks like weights, some plyometrics, pilates, yoga(I like Baptiste power yoga)...whatever you like to do is a good core work out. The best way to get better at mtbing...is mtbing.

Ideally it's good to ride with folks who have more skills then you. Follow them and ride aggressively, which means you may take some hits, and that's ok, eventually you get better. It does take years but if you enjoy what you're doing and keep it fun, it shouldn't feel like "training".

jklett

Okay, I have a little more time to explain myself. Bear in mind that I'm relatively new to this sport but I've done similar things in my life such as surf, skate, bmx, etc...

I think that your approach depends on what you're looking to get out of mountain biking. If you're wanting to be fast and race, I'd focus on fitness and general bike handling. The whole chasing faster people is definitely a good idea there.

On the other hand, if you're more interested in technical stuff then it's a matter of learning how to move. That's where what I posted above comes in. Granted nothing will take the place of time on the bike, it is important to see how little most people move around even though they think that they're all over the place (myself included). For example, you may think that you're hanging your hips way over the back when they're really barely behind the saddle but you wouldn't know that unless either you see it or are very in tune with your body. That's why I said that video or movement based classes would help.

Or perhaps you just want to have fun and enjoy riding your bike. If that's the case, just ride more and don't worry that much about skills. They'll come with time and repetition. Hence sessioning stuff.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i don't necessarily think riding more is the answer to everything. if you're looking to improve skills, i think it's helpful to have one-on-one or small group instruction. it helps when someone who knows what they're doing can coach you and point things out to you. you may be able to physically mash thru something or rely on clips to do jumps but that doesn't mean it's the best or efficient way to do it. and the longer you hang on to bad habits, the harder it is to correct.... and the more injuries you're going to subject yourself to.

carvegybe

Thanks everyone! Objectives: enjoy MTBing singletrack stuff. I signed up for my first race in March so objectives might change if I get the racing bug. But I assume I will be reasonable and opt not to risk killing myself by chasing speed...I did some 250cc dirt bike riding in my youth and decided to give it up before I kill myself....rinse and repeat with MTB probably.

Already riding with better riders and did record myself in the parking lot trying to lean the bike into turns and achieve bike-body separation...er...I must say I felt more confident with my abilities before I played my practice videos. It felt better than it looked....

I think I'll pass on the ballet. I can just imagine my wife pissing herself laughing. I agree with the ride more advice, but I feel the need to get the kind of individualized feedback that is probably not available on generic rides. You know...that focused, patient, expert feedback...that's why I am reluctant to rely too much on youtube...

jklett

I think I'll pass on the ballet. I can just imagine my wife pissing herself laughing.

Why?
IMG_20200121_183209924.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thanks everyone! Objectives: enjoy MTBing singletrack stuff. I signed up for my first race in March so objectives might change if I get the racing bug. But I assume I will be reasonable and opt not to risk killing myself by chasing speed...I did some 250cc dirt bike riding in my youth and decided to give it up before I kill myself....rinse and repeat with MTB probably.

Already riding with better riders and did record myself in the parking lot trying to lean the bike into turns and achieve bike-body separation...er...I must say I felt more confident with my abilities before I played my practice videos. It felt better than it looked....

I think I'll pass on the ballet. I can just imagine my wife pissing herself laughing. I agree with the ride more advice, but I feel the need to get the kind of individualized feedback that is probably not available on generic rides. You know...that focused, patient, expert feedback...that's why I am reluctant to rely too much on youtube...

I think xc mtb is a totally different monster than MX. I used to ride, and knew i could put in more power with a twist than i could handle,
in a vain attempt to catch the person in front of me with more skill. In mtb, unless you are going dh, or are seriously fit, that you are not going
to put in scary power that can't be handled with the brakes. Sure, you can go into a corner hot, and make a mess of it, but not like twisting the throttle.

Anyway, I've still been trying to follow better riders, watching their line and body position. Then trying to feel what is happening.
I find it difficult to translate words into "feel" - I took snowboards lessons each year, just to hear the new words! Instructors were always happy
to find someone that would ride anything they could, and just wanted to refine things. (no park, too old)

Anyway, the group rides that are listed as casual have been great for me to learn how to corner better. Also, seeing someone ride something
that looks scary helps - although i still get jelly legs and say no, then feel like it was a missed opportunity later.

Keep pedaling, maybe meet you at the next groupie. Don't worry about the video, if you ride the obstacle, we are counting it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom