Help with clipless!!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Hey thanks guys for all the advice and support!!! I have mentioned I was thinking of picking up a new set of pedals and indeed i did. I got a set of shimano m540 w/ adjustable tension from my lbs. I made a slight adjustment to loosen the tension and it feels ok. I have yet to take it to the trails, picked em up saturday but it became too late to hit the trails and yesterday rained so I hit the road with them and felt good. Hopefully these work out better than my old Times. By the way, any trails out there that might be a good place to build confidence using clipless. Since I started I've only been going to Chimney rock and to me that place is pretty painful when you hit the dirt or rocks. Thanks again.:)

Not sure about up north but in central, Mercer, Clayton and Six Mile would be pretty good places to learn....

Sircrashalot

<------- started clipless this past winter also, same time as Tommycrash ( see separate thread about what happens when wheelies get too tall with clipless). Same progression. Now I am at the point where I can get out 90% of the time, and the other 10% if I wasn't panicking wondering if I COULD unclip, and just stayed focused on riding, I wouldn't need to unclip and could ride out of what scared me. I recently realized this, but still usually fall once a ride becausze of the fear. Also noticed that sometimes I am able to unclip and slap a foot down without having thought about it, so the muscle memory is kicking in.

We ride 6 mile a lot and IMO its a great place to practice with clipless because there are a lot of angled roots, etc. that cross the trail that trip the bike up a bit and make your eyes big, but teach you that you can and should ride through most of the times when you are falling while trying to unclip....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
excellent points...i think one of the main things is to not have your arms and legs flailing all over when you fall..tuck and roll....keep in mind, it takes years of falling to learn how to fall...

to expand on that, tuck and roll if there aren't any big rocks. if you're falling into a rock garden, the only real option is to try and catch yourself with your hands. pushups come in real handy here.

Top Bottom