Help: Rockshox Recon RL or Manitou Machete or Other?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
How much steerer do you need? I have a tapered QR RS Reba that I would sell for what I paid on here ($55) but the steerer is really short, I think like 6 7/8". Let me know if you are interested.

TimBay

How much steerer do you need? I have a tapered QR RS Reba that I would sell for what I paid on here ($55) but the steerer is really short, I think like 6 7/8". Let me know if you are interested.
Hmm. Id totally be interested. Id have to check. Id have to also get an adapter which would add to the length so we'll see. Thanks so much.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Did you buy the press fit tool or did you make your own? Too expensive to buy imo

I bought threaded rod and nuts at Home Depot but bought wheels manufacturing bearing drifts. That was way, way cheaper than buying a Park Tool bearing press and still uses the correctly sized drifts to press the bearings in square.

TimBay

Hmm. Id totally be interested. Id have to check. Id have to also get an adapter which would add to the length so we'll see. Thanks so much.
So, per the giant site, its only 4.9 inches, so plus prolly a half inch or so for the adapter and we're still good. How much travel in it? Is it 9mm or 15?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Put a rigid fork on it.

My only other advice would be find a cheap used fork. Normally I wouldn’t recommend used suspension parts, but an older straight steerer Reba can’t be that expensive on eBay. And they are easy to service as long as the stanchions are in good shape. I have an 8 year old one that is still going strong with regular service.

qclabrat

So, per the giant site, its only 4.9 inches, so plus prolly a half inch or so for the adapter and we're still good. How much travel in it? Is it 9mm or 15?
QR usually means 9mm. Measure your existing fork's steerer, I ride medium bikes and most my bike's head tubes are too long for that fork. But you might get lucky, give it a try.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
QR=9mm. 4.5" might be the head tube but you need to add the stem also. If you want to try it just let me know and we can work it out. I live in Flemington and work in Florham Park.

TimBay

I'm
QR=9mm. 4.5" might be the head tube but you need to add the stem also. If you want to try it just let me know and we can work it out. I live in Flemington and work in Florham Park.

I'm gonna go out and measure what I can see tomorrow to see how close it is. I have a feeling youre right at 4.5 seems way way to small. I'll also have to add in the specs of the cane creek bottom headset too. I'm hoping it'll work as that would be pretty killer. Thanks for the offer.

TimBay

But did you see the second one can stand in the snow? I know what you're saying though. I'm not too concerned about ROI, and I know this isnt a frame worth dumping 1000 bucks on. I'm just looking for some reasonably priced adjustments to make it a lil bit better. I do plan on riding it for a good while.

TimBay

Carts. Looks like I'm at about 8+ inches ( insert innuendo here). Oh well. Thanks for the offer though.

goldsbar

On the "non-moving" type of parts (stems, etc.), I got some various length stems for under $10/each from Nashbar a few years ago to try different options. My intention was to upgrade, but then figured why bother for 50 grams. You can probably do the same for bars, though maybe double that $ figure.

As others have stated, you're not going to completely transform your bike. All the roadie guys are always raving about carbon wheels. I finally got some on my road bike, and I can't tell the difference.

The biggest change you can make on a road or mountain bike: Tire pressure. And it's free!

Top Bottom