help out a bike hoarder

Man, this reminds me of when Hugh jackson took over the cleveland browns...

Liquidate EVERYTHING in this collection.

Good FS XC bike when you feel like hammering...this will also replace any gravel bike
Fun 27.5, 27.5+ or 29er trail bike to go ride at sourlands
Road bike
Fat bike if you need an extra toy

That's fresh, if you want to get rid of that let me know

Price on the fatbike?
sorry keeping fat, and keeping the Makino but have a NOS Kiyo Miyazawa keirin frame and fork I pick up while in Japan
It's been wall art for a few years and bought for about 8000 yen, but will be listing on the Bay for around 400-500
Got probably the nicest paint on any bike I've owned
WP_20170110_09_45_44_Pro.jpg

after seeing said photos, wood do what utah said
yep, and so would everyone else on this forum
- decent carbon fat bike: >3K (Specialized fat boy)
- fast XC bike: >4K (Cannondale scalpel)
- all mountain trail bike: >4K (Pivot Mach 6)
- road bike: >3K (nothing special)

so here's how I'll try to get down to 5 bikes
my annual budget is less than 2K alloted towards bike stuff (that includes clothes and fees), even after the fire sales I'll still be short to get the AM bike with the budget this year....

#1 no road bike, ride what I got between the 3 choices of 700c wheels

#2 save for the AM/trial bike then dump #3 & 4

#3 save for the new fat then dump #1 & 8

#4 no XC bike, I only use a hammer for nails

only missing a HT here, would like to keep fatbike full rigid

ride what you got. you have some overlap (love that SS roadie btw), log what bikes you ride most - in the middle of the year, ditch the lowest ridden bikes. i don't think you need that many road bikes. that touring ride looks great for long rides and could probably be a good gravel rider too.

if you start to get stupid fast and want to race, or come into more money for the budget, then buy new rides. for now ride what you have, then ditch what you don't actually ride.

Minus that blue frame, that looks cool, but you'd have to build it up instead of drool over it!

I'm with you on the bike prices its insane, I don't think I could stomach dropping over $1000 on a bike at this point, seeing how you could build up a pretty simple carbon hardtail for around that price.

Of the 4 you listed, I would totally skip out on the fat bike. Keep the tank you got if that is the case.

Do you ride with other people on the road? You don't need a road bike if you're only out there by yourself. My fat bike is my road bike.

yep, and so would everyone else on this forum
- decent carbon fat bike: >3K (Specialized fat boy)
- fast XC bike: >4K (Cannondale scalpel)
- all mountain trail bike: >4K (Pivot Mach 6)
- road bike: >3K (nothing special)

How much travel do you use on a FS, I almost never bottom out my 125mm travel on the kinda riding I do. Maybe a bike like the Pivot 429 trail will do everything you want. Do you ride a lot on the beach or snow? Maybe you don't need the fatty. XC FS, no need for that unless you are racing. road bike...do you want to get hit by a car?

ride what you got. you have some overlap (love that SS roadie btw), log what bikes you ride most - in the middle of the year, ditch the lowest ridden bikes. i don't think you need that many road bikes. that touring ride looks great for long rides and could probably be a good gravel rider too.

if you start to get stupid fast and want to race, or come into more money for the budget, then buy new rides. for now ride what you have, then ditch what you don't actually ride.
you sir are wise before your years, great suggestion
I'm granting you the inaugural Confucius awar
MTE5NDg0MDU0OTMwNjg3NTAz.jpg

Do you ride with other people on the road? You don't need a road bike if you're only out there by yourself. My fat bike is my road bike.
not usually, but ideally ride with others, since the roads bore the crap out of me nowasays
I'm slow already, I need all the help I can get, ask Magik and my folding road bike fiasco in NYC last year

How much travel do you use on a FS, I almost never bottom out my 125mm travel on the kinda riding I do. Maybe a bike like the Pivot 429 trail will do everything you want. Do you ride a lot on the beach or snow? Maybe you don't need the fatty. XC FS, no need for that unless you are racing. road bike...do you want to get hit by a car?

I rode a Reign last year in Jungle and really liked it, I don't ride fast, so it had a lot of flow for even a big heavy bike. I'll need to test more bikes for sure, just laying down the Mach6 as a benchmark, even though I haven't ridden it yet.

Fat is without doubt for me the fun bike, it needs some tune up to make it more comfortable for longer rides, but riding it always puts a smile on my face. Snow or no snow, it gets out. However, I'm going to need a decent tubeless setup since I found out it's got another flat last night.

Man, I thought I had a problem -- now I can direct me wife to this thread as a defense LOL.

Trance 27.5
Cannondale Bad Habit 2
Motobecane Boris Fat Bike
Giant OCR Road Bike
1/2 of a CoMotion Tandem Road Bike (my wife owns the other half)

Fat is without doubt for me the fun bike, it needs some tune up to make it more comfortable for longer rides, but riding it always puts a smile on my face. Snow or no snow, it gets out. However, I'm going to need a decent tubeless setup since I found out it's got another flat last night.

You could do something like my Otso voytek, narrow Q fat, you can run 27.5+, 29+ and up to 4.6 on a 70mm rim. The narrow Q pedals better than the wider Q, 24lbs Pump up some fast tires like the JJ and you can cruise on the road.

Wait, weren't you talking about buying a Maserati? Whats a few g's on bikes?
haha, not my money or car, my wife is wealthy, I am not, see how that works in my family...
to her credit, she saves like mad and only buys a few really nice luxury goods for herself. While her friends drive new Range Rovers, Porsches, and Botox ever few years she still drives her old 5 series. I can't complain, our finances are so well dialed in at the moment I can retire in less than 10 years.

she's keeping her car for another year, told me to change mine instead, I'm now in the market for Hondas and Kias with third row seats
@Glenn almost had me sold on the Q7, but that's still a lot of coin to haul around teens, bikes and 2x4s.

I think someone hacked my acct
as the op says, he doesn't like fixing bikes as much before
With whats said above, you should have a garage sale of all the parts that you have and help fund your next dream bike!

I'll help with an order for a quill stem!

You should let your wife know how lucky she is....her husbands hobby is exercise equipment rather than auto racing or yachting. Remind her that she married you as her trophy husband and that you need to keep biking to maintain the proper arm candy status. Ask her why she has to be so selfish...she gets BMWs, all you want is a silly bicycle.

Back
Top Bottom