Help Finding Pivot Bearings

pkovo

I am looking for two 6803 bearings with an inner race that extends 3mm on one side. Anyone know where I can find these?

This is for a Ghost chain stay pivot. REI is the sole dealer to support these bikes in the US and it's incredibly difficult to get parts from them. I have an inquiry in, so I might get them that way, but my hope was maybe another more common bike uses the same size bearings.

So far, I've struck out looking online, well I found the part in the UK but cant order form there. I'll look further later but my hope (longshot) is maybe this sized bearing is used on another more common bike?

I thought about using a regular 6803 bearing with a 3mm spacer the size of the inner race as a last resort, but I would rather not go there.

This used frame bought for pennies on the dollar is really teaching me you get what you pay for :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am looking for two 6803 bearings with an inner race that extends 3mm on one side. Anyone know where I can find these?

This is for a Ghost chain stay pivot. REI is the sole dealer to support these bikes in the US and it's incredibly difficult to get parts from them. I have an inquiry in, so I might get them that way, but my hope was maybe another more common bike uses the same size bearings.

So far, I've struck out looking online, well I found the part in the UK but cant order form there. I'll look further later but my hope (longshot) is maybe this sized bearing is used on another more common bike?

I thought about using a regular 6803 bearing with a 3mm spacer the size of the inner race as a last resort, but I would rather not go there.

This used frame bought for pennies on the dollar is really teaching me you get what you pay for :)
It isn’t a sleeve that fits in the 6803? Does it say 6803 on it?

68nova200

If you have an accurate way to measure it mcmaster should have it.

pkovo

Bearing seal has the 6803 size stamped which should translate to 17 x 26 x 5. However in this case the inner race is actually 8 not 5, with the extra 3mm sticking out of one side.

Enduro makes some extended inner race bearings, but seemingly not one in this size.

I just got an email back from the REI guy who said he'll order one, but it took a month or so for them to get me the chain-stay, and although it will work, it really isn't even the right one. They just aren't setup AT ALL to really support bikes. I give him credit though he really is going beyond the norm to help me.

Kaleidopete

might be worth a phone call to these guys.
P B M Supply Co
88 Cannonball Rd, Pompton Lakes, NJ, 07442
(973) 839-0050

w_b

I think Kev is right; if it says 6803 on the seal what you are calling the inner race is probably actually a sleeve inside the inner race. I know the older FSRs did it this way on the chainstay pivots. A picture of it diassembled, if possible, would probably help.

serviceguy

I believe it's called a built-in spacer bearing, not sure if that would change the number associated to the bearing which is indicative of its size (outer width, inner width, height).

pkovo

Here they are. It's basically a 6803 with the inner race extended 3mm to one side. That extended race passes through the back of the bearing seat in the chain-stay.

It's stamped VRS, which from what I can tell means one non-contact seal, but I'm 99% sure a normal RS bearing would be fine. It's the 3mm extended race that seems unique.

I pressed them "gingerly" and they came out relatively easy, but as a general rule I don't reuse a bearing after I put force on the inner race. They do seem to still spin smooth though, so maybe I can get away with it at least to get the bike running in the near-term?

bearings.JPG

pkovo

The REI rep emailed last night and said he is going to be able to have the supplier send me a bearing kit and will try to get it expedited. I give him credit, he is jumping through hoops to assist me, but it seems like the way REI is setup for Ghost support is just "wonky". On the other hand, the Canadian version of REI (MEC) sells a bearing kit right on their website, but of course they can't ship to the US.

There's no inner sleeve, it's just an extended race. The bearing seat on the chain-stay has a hole just big enough for that extended race to pass through, so it functions as a spacer or bushing. It also means the only way to remove them is to push or pull them from the inner race. I pushed them out with a press.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Ooof. I'm pretty sure REI didn't expect any of those bikes to outlast the bearings. But, they're the same ones used in the old Santa Cruz Blur, I just rebuilt one last week with the kit, they have them.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The REI rep emailed last night and said he is going to be able to have the supplier send me a bearing kit and will try to get it expedited. I give him credit, he is jumping through hoops to assist me, but it seems like the way REI is setup for Ghost support is just "wonky". On the other hand, the Canadian version of REI (MEC) sells a bearing kit right on their website, but of course they can't ship to the US.

There's no inner sleeve, it's just an extended race. The bearing seat on the chain-stay has a hole just big enough for that extended race to pass through, so it functions as a spacer or bushing. It also means the only way to remove them is to push or pull them from the inner race. I pushed them out with a press.
FWIW, while I am not at all saying REI is an LBS, their flagship location is a legit bike store. However, they just aren’t set up to do stuff like this.

pkovo

FWIW, while I am not at all saying REI is an LBS, their flagship location is a legit bike store. However, they just aren’t set up to do stuff like this.

Yeah, I like REI in general, and I'm actually a member, but I think they do camping and outdoor gear better than bikes.

I'm also admittedly spoiled by my LBS, which is sadly closed at the moment.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah, I like REI in general, and I'm actually a member, but I think they do camping and outdoor gear better than bikes.

I'm also admittedly spoiled by my LBS, which is sadly closed at the moment.
I am a member too, I think they do some kind of surplus purchasing for bike stuff as they have such a random selection, like SRAM Eagle stuff but then they wont have the same level brakes or something like that. Like they have more than what the normal person would want but they don't have everything the higher end buyers may want. However they have some of it.

In any case, good luck.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
this is crazy - i found 6903 vrs - i'm sure you did too.
did you measure it, just to be sure?

nice they took care of you.

02camaro

my yeti sb100 uses this style bearing in a 6902. they call it a "15X28X7/10 LLU MAX-E" the 7/10 part at the end means the 7mm outer race thickness with the 10mm extended inner race.

there is a selection of extended inner race bearings and they have the 6903. but sounds like you are getting the ones you need for free.

edit: saw you needed 6803

Top Bottom