Help create a new trail network

Frank

Sasquatch
Hi all,
Over the last few years, Gerry Creighton (the ranch) has been in communication with the Township of Galloway to create a network of trails on a tract of land called Seaview Estates. His proposals have been well received by both Galloway Twsp. and Atlantic Cty. but we are currently stalled. We need your help to get this rolling again, the riding public. Please post a show of support ( I'm sure Gerry will fill in some of the blanks I've left here :eek: ) so we can get another riding opportunity opened in South Jersey.

thanks,
Frank

theranch

Thanks Franklin!

For those on the 'ol Facey Space... https://www.facebook.com/SeaviewTrails

I have a website for the project as well... www.seaviewtrails.com I'll be updating this soon with sections for current trails, future trails, volunteering, input, who to bother etc.

So the park is owned and sort of managed by the Atlantic County Parks Dept. They mostly keep track of permits for hunters and field my emails regarding trees that need to be cut out when necessary. The county has already agreed to lease the land to Galloway Twp., where the park is located, at an incredible discount. The county executive called me and gave me his blessing so it's now on Galloway Twp. to make this happen.

Over a year ago we applied for a trails grant from NJ and were awarded this 24k grant a month or so ago. We're itching to get moving on this but need support from users to show that we're out here wanting this to get done. If you're like me, you'll drive an hour to go ride a nice trail system then go eat and drink at the closest watering hole. Luckily there are a number of spots to visit about .5mi from the park!

Feel free to contact Galloway twp mayor and city council. Let them know we're out here waiting to get this project going! We have a 24k grant and volunteers ready to make this happen at little to no cost to the county and township.
Mayor: dpurdy@gtnj.org
Council:
Tony Coppola acoppola@gtnj.org
Tom Bassford tbassford@gtnj.org
Jim Gorman jgorman@gtnj.org
Jim McElwee jmcelwee@gtnj.org
Brian Tyrell btyrrell@gtnj.org
Whitney Ullman wullman@gtnj.org

I have been working with Tony Coppola for the past 2years and recently he, Jim McElwee and Brian Tyrell have been tasked with flushing this idea out (again). Our first of two proposals asked for 500k in open space funding to build a 2.5 crushed stone path for the average park visitor, a stacked loop single track trail system, a parking area and plenty of signage. These councilmen want to go back to this proposal and get the money since the county has put the ball in Galloway's court so to speak. That is our current situation.
We've had two resolutions passed that allow our crew to get in there but the county needs Galloway to take the project. This township has had a rough time with lawsuits in recent years and has been trying to steer clear of anything that could potentially pose a risk....or cost them anything to build.

What is so special about this 370 acre parcel you ask? It has some nice rolling terrain with a massive 50ft of elevation change! I race enduro and Super D so you'll understand that I'm joking here. On a serious note, the rolling terrain is unique for South Jersey as most people think the area is flat. We'll be able to start from an almost clean slate to design and build some flowy contour trails that everyone will enjoy. The location is very easy to get to from all points of NJ and like I mentioned, plenty of restaurants nearby for post ride grub.

What I've shown them over the years is that mountain bikers love to unite to clean and clear trails. After Sandy hit we had around 20 trees down blocking the current trails. Myself and a friend cleared a bunch then we guided a group of 14 volunteers from Shore Cycle Club and a mix of regular folk to walk the trails to clear the rest. It was a nice day to show the county that on short notice we generated 45hrs of volunteer time. Time that they didn't have to pay someone to do that work.

So I think that's about it in a nutshell. I feel we're close to getting this done but I thought that before. There is a meeting coming up next month that involves the councilmen that should give us an idea on where we stand with the open space funding from the county. I'll be sure to post that info when I get it.

Last edited:

moray42

Merman
Definitely be nice to see more happen out there. Used to ride thru when I lived nearby. Good for a quick ride without having to travel. More single track would definitely be a welcome improvement, so I hope thing can proceed as planned. Some recent schedule changes may allow me to help out when things get under way.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
What I've shown them over the years is that mountain bikers love to unite to clean and clear trails. After Sandy hit we had around 20 trees down blocking the current trails. Myself and a friend cleared a bunch then we guided a group of 14 volunteers from Shore Cycle Club and a mix of regular folk to walk the trails to clear the rest. It was a nice day to show the county that on short notice we generated 45hrs of volunteer time. Time that they didn't have to pay someone to do that work.

This is the type of dedication that drives the idea home that we are not just a bunch of "dew" drinking kids and can platy nice in their rule set.. keeps us updated with whats going on hopefully will get another park to ride in... if the terrain is anything like Ceres the trails should be a blast.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hi all,
Over the last few years, Gerry Creighton (the ranch) has been in communication with the Township of Galloway to create a network of trails on a tract of land called Seaview Estates. His proposals have been well received by both Galloway Twsp. and Atlantic Cty. but we are currently stalled. We need your help to get this rolling again, the riding public. Please post a show of support ( I'm sure Gerry will fill in some of the blanks I've left here :eek: ) so we can get another riding opportunity opened in South Jersey.

thanks,
Frank

Sounds good to me!:)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions