Help Converting an old bike to 1x

onetracker

I think you guys are overthinking this.

You can simply turn this into a 2x8 without spending any cabbage. Turn the front derailleur inside limit screw in so the front derailleur will not shift into the small ring (not sure how badly the inner ring is bent but you can either remove the inner ring or leave it in place if the crank spins freely). Then you can use the existing drivetrain as-is without the small chainring. Cheap, simple and free.

Mathers

Pull the drive side crank. Remove all the chain rings. Probably is a 104 bcd. Get a Narrow wide chainring for the middle. Get a bash guard for the outer ring. Toss the the little ring in the parts bin, at your neighbor, in the trash can, whatever suits your mood. And there ya go. Cheap ass 1x. You can probably get a used NW, and bash ring from peeps on here for pennies on the dollar!
This thing is all one piece riveted together

onetracker

OK. Then don’t remove the small ring and just adjust the front derailleur. If the chainring is hitting the middle ring or the frame, bend it with a pair of channel lock pliers or a large crescent wrench until it is out of the way. I don't think you want to put a new crank on this thing unless you go to somewhere like Second Life Bikes which may have something of similar vintage that will work.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
This thing is all one piece riveted together
Can you take a close up pic of the crank?
I thought I've seen a suntour xct with all chainrings removed.
Same cranks as below?
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 4.03.11 PM.png

Last edited:

RickVaughn

i have square taper cranks in my garage that i'm not using. you can have them. along with the chainrings and hell the rest of the drivetrain lol
they're off a 2015 pitch sport. north jersey pickup but i do'nt mind meeting up somewhere

as most have said, you replace the rings with a single chainring (wolftooth imo) and probably swap out your cassette and rear mech with a cheap 10-speed. should be like $200 once you're done and you're set. i guess the only consideration is what's your freehub situation? if it's a standard shimano freehub then we're in business

Mathers

Can you take a close up pic of the crank?
I thought I've seen a suntour xct with all chainrings removed.
Yeah I was wrong. It’s the small ring that is riveted.
I have to get them off but I’m waiting for my crank tool to show up.

Mathers

i have square taper cranks in my garage that i'm not using. you can have them. along with the chainrings and hell the rest of the drivetrain lol
they're off a 2015 pitch sport. north jersey pickup but i do'nt mind meeting up somewhere

as most have said, you replace the rings with a single chainring (wolftooth imo) and probably swap out your cassette and rear mech with a cheap 10-speed. should be like $200 once you're done and you're set. i guess the only consideration is what's your freehub situation? if it's a standard shimano freehub then we're in business
Thanks man I’ll let you know once I get this apart a little more.
What town are you in?

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I have a Truvativ Blaze setup as 1X and a Howitzer BB that fits 68 or 73mm BB shells that you can have if you want to pickup in Clark? I'm never going to use them and was going to donate to Second Life when the state opens. It's 100% functional and if you want it it's yours. I can post photos if you'd like?

Last edited:

Mathers

I have a Truvativ Blaze setup as 1X and a Howitzer BB that fits 68 or 73mm BB shells that you can have if you want to pickup in Clark? I'm never going to use them and was going to donate to Second Life when the state opens. It's 100% functional and if you want it it's yours. I can post photos if you'd like?
Yeah that would be awesome. I’m in Millburn.

serviceguy

Are the chainrings bolted or riveted? If they're bolted chances are it's a 104/64 BCD and chainrings are readily available. Also, the Shimano freewheel should take any 10 speed cassette but then you need to update cassette, derailleur and shifter. Or you can just change the chainring and use some form of chain retention.

THATmanMANNY

What is that thing?

I’ve run 1x with the chain keepers before 1x was cool. Like 99% success rate

In return for the mustang. I may have some better 8/9 speed der parts to donate once you have the crank sorted.

Mathers

Idk how much money I would dump into this thing...but I assume you mean it has 8 speed now.

1.Before clutch deteialluers you either ran a chain guide or a bashguard in place of the big ring with the third eye thing. I don’t think a Nw would be enough to use the existing derailleur (no clutch).
View attachment 126908
Third eye chain watcher
2 you can run a 32, but obviously your gearing will be limiting but not sure you plan to ride this anywhere with significant hills, that is for you to determine. It looks like that could be a 4 ring 104bcd but it it could also be some entry level piece of poop with its own standard.

So would I need this with a 1x8 or a 1x anything. What’s the reason for the guide ?
Thanks

Top Bottom