HELP/Convert to disk brakes - 2001 Sugar

joeschaar

I want to convert a 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 1 to disk brakes. I'd like to use the avid mechincial so I can reuse my avid levers. The fork has a disk brake mount. The wheels (front and rear) have rotor mounts.

The issue is a mounting point for the rear caliper. The rear triangle of a suger is carbon fiber. In my research, I have seen an adpater bar that creates a mounting point or a replacement of the rear triangle.

Does anyone have experinece with this conversion?

I am concerned that the adapter bar will not leave enough room for the caliper. Any constructive input is welcome.

Does anyone have an idea what a rear triangle replacement might cost?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

"slow" Joe

BiknBen

I want to convert a 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 1 to disk brakes. I'd like to use the avid mechanical so I can reuse my avid levers. The fork has a disk brake mount. The wheels (front and rear) have rotor mounts.

The issue is a mounting point for the rear caliper. The rear triangle of a sugar is carbon fiber. In my research, I have seen an adapter bar that creates a mounting point or a replacement of the rear triangle.

Does anyone have experience with this conversion?

I am concerned that the adapter bar will not leave enough room for the caliper. Any constructive input is welcome.

Does anyone have an idea what a rear triangle replacement might cost?

Thoughts? This is not a worthwhile project. I would not recommend mounting some type of adapter to the carbon frame. If no disk brake mount is present then the frame was not designed to have disk brakes. You could damage the frame.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Absolutly agree with ben most frames are designed with a brace for braking force, I'd be affraid of damage under hard braking.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ben is right on, disc brakes put a bunch of stress on the rear triangle of the bike and adding an adapter to a carbon rear is looking for trouble. You can run a disc up front and maybe a larger rotor so you basically use just the front brake (which does the majority of the stopping anyways).

Top Bottom