Help Choosing Shoes for Flat Pedals

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cant go wrong with 5.10 freerider , they probably offer most grip and feel , especially for starting out on flats that's what I would start with . I've been using 5.10 Adidas trailcross jams and for hot summer days nothing is better , stiffness in between freerider and freerider pros .

serviceguy

I've been using 5.10 Adidas trailcross jams and for hot summer days nothing is better , stiffness in between freerider and freerider pros .
I've had my eyes on those for a while, never sold enough to pull the trigger though. I like their trailcross line for trekking as well. @Mare45 not to confuse you but why didn't you consider the 5.10 Impact Pro? Maybe a little heavy but super comfy, super sticky and for some reason they stay warm in the cold/dump but don't broil the feet during the summer.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Cant go wrong with 5.10 freerider , they probably offer most grip and feel , especially for starting out on flats that's what I would start with .
This is a good point. When you’re starting with flats, pedal feel and grip are probably more important than any of the other aspects.

If you end up riding flats long-term, you can always try a stiffer/burlier shoe later on.

Karate Monkey

It sounds like you already sorted the shoes, but...what pedals do you have?

That makes an enormous difference, imo. Do you gravitate towards ball-of-foot, or mid-foot when pedalling?

Anecdote: I have shoes that are fairly 'not' grippy, yet with the pedals I use (4-6mm pins, slight concave), they stick like glue. In the summer, I used to use Vans Pro shoes with the removable insole, but I haven't been able to find them in years. Great lightweight shoe for when it gets hot.

Oh...grab some shin guards. Dudes dig scars (;)), but shin gouges take forever to heal; when I switch from using clipless for an extended amount of time--usually winter--I take 1-2 strikes before I wise up to the sloppy technique. Look for 'shin whip' pads for BMX, since it seems like everyone else in the bicycle world thinks that nobody wants shin protection without knee pads.

Mare

@Karate Monkey my friend gave me a pair. I don’t know much about pedals so I’ve got to research them next. I’m more of a ball of the foot person. Thanks for bringing this up!

I do have another question too. How should the shoes fit? My normal size was huge. I ordered a half size down and they fit like sneakers I would normally wear (about half inch of space in front of big toe). Is that where I want to be?

Last edited:

Mare

And yes, I ordered shin guards. When I got my first Mtb, the pedals attacked me and I could hardly put weight on my shins for a while!

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Google will provide accurate information but when going flat from clipped in I think saddle height should be lowered 20mm . Shoe fit for me is like casual sneakers and just snug on laces unless it's winter then go a full size up with wool socks .

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
@Karate Monkey my friend gave me a pair that I think were a bargain on Amazon. I don’t know much about pedals so I’ve got to research them next. I’m more of a ball of the foot person. Thanks for bringing this up!

I do have another question too. How should the shoes fit? My normal size was huge. I ordered a half size down and they fit like sneakers I would normally wear (about half inch of space in front of big toe). Is that where I want to be?
My foot always seems to push toward when I ride so about 1/2” seems right

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Will add a third to Ryan and Kevin’s comments: When I went to flats, after a zillion miles clipless, I very quickly moved to mid-foot pedaling and lowered my saddle appropriately.

Karate Monkey

^^^What those three said. My feet naturally gravitate forwards unless I'm riding super buff (road/MUP) stuff. Something something, heels down, something something, bump forward.

I prefer using concave pedals, because the pinched nerve in my foot doesn't like it when I 'wrap around' the pedal.

Fit is like a casual shoe, for me. I have ~.5" in front of my longest toe, with socks. IMO, extra forward space isn't an issue as long as the laces can hold your foot in securely, since you aren't really walking extended distances on them; more space=more better for when you inevitably slam/jam your foot into a rock/tree/stump/whatever. If I wear flats (or boots) in the winter, it's the same relation with bigger socks...so I usually wind up going up one Euro size.

iman29

@Mare45 the 5-10s I showed you work so well on flats I can’t see how you can go wrong. Combined with my Bontrager composite flat pedals they grip into the pins very well almost like I am clipped in.

I have a nice pair of older shimano boots for winter that were brand new I also bought off here for a steal And those are one size bigger so I can wear thicker socks.

Can’t ever see a time or reason I would
Switch to clipping in on the MTB but that’s just me.

one piece crank

The sleuths are supposed to be big in the toe box (I am pretty sure that's what I read), and big overall, so they might work. Especially since you are looking for a less stiff shoe.
Well then just arrived yesterday, and Sleuths are not big in the toe box. Marginal at best, so I need a few more hours around the house to decide, but pretty sure they are going back. Are Freeriders any wider?

Mare

Well then just arrived yesterday, and Sleuths are not big in the toe box. Marginal at best, so I need a few more hours around the house to decide, but pretty sure they are going back. Are Freeriders any wider?
Wow! I’m surprised cause of the reviews I read. Will they fit if you size up? Or just not wide enough no matter what?

I’m still waiting on the smaller freerider pro to arrive. Here’s what I found though:

Freerider canvas: size down half size, narrower than pros. I generally didn’t like the feel.

Freerider pros: size down half size, but since I’m waiting on them to arrive, I will report back.

Comparing both in half size too big, the pros felt more comfy and roomier in toe box.

Mare

@one piece crank I got the smaller freerider pros and I am going with the larger ones which is my typical shoe size. They felt big initially, but the smaller size is too small. Your original question was asking about the width. I cannot compare them to the sleuths, but I can say I prefer a bit of a wider shoe so I have room to wiggle my toes and I feel like I have plenty of room. If you try them, I hope they do work for you!

one piece crank

@Mare45 I wound up keeping the Sleuths. I wore them around the house for a few days and figured out the width was OK. The lower profile toe box was giving a different feel. I like them a lot and they will be my primary BMX, pump and jump shoe.

Now, will Freeriders feel the same? I could actually use a new daily riding shoe.

serviceguy

@Mare45 I wound up keeping the Sleuths. I wore them around the house for a few days and figured out the width was OK. The lower profile toe box was giving a different feel. I like them a lot and they will be my primary BMX, pump and jump shoe.

Now, will Freeriders feel the same? I could actually use a new daily riding shoe.
Did you get the Sleuths or the Sleuths DLX ? The latter seem to be more actual riding oriented, I couldn't tell the difference other than small details like some extended reinforcement on the toe box and slightly different colors...

one piece crank

Did you get the Sleuths or the Sleuths DLX ? The latter seem to be more actual riding oriented, I couldn't tell the difference other than small details like some extended reinforcement on the toe box and slightly different colors...
The base Sleuth, it has canvas toe box. I didn't want a leather uppers or an overly stiff sole. Still eyeing the Freerider, and, look at this:

adidas® Five Ten Shoes - BOGO 50% Off W/ Code HOTDEAL

Top Bottom