help building a pump or skill building track

I have a pretty decent size space to use to build some type of pump or skills track . the space is about 50'wx 140'L , it used to be my nitro rc racetrack , so it has a driverstand which would be perfect for fliming the craziness that will go on...lol. im a ok rider on xc stuff, but recently did a enduro race , didn't do that well cause I was nervous when it came to the drops (not to mention the phy shape you need to be in..hahaha), I can bunny hop well but that's about it . someone told me to get on a pump track it will teach you how to move your body for jumping .etc... the problem is there isn't one around me for miiiiiiles. so why not build 1 , is there a basic rule or layout you need to follow , like a imaginary blueprint ? im not looking to be a gravity rider or nothing but be able to handle the stuff that will pop up in enduro style rides. any advice that can be offered would be super helpful and much appreciated.............oh yea im a cylde 6'6 335lbs riding a( custom fitted) full suspension , I do have a ht but I don't know if carbon is worthy of that kind of abuse from a big guy like myself.....( just tryin to provide as much info as I can ) thanks again in advance

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have a tiny pump track in my back yard. It's always a work in progress. ;)
I say grab a shovel and have at it... You'll figure out what works. I started with an outside loop first so I have something to ride, you add and and tweak as you go. Have fun, that's a great size space!

Mountain Bike Mike

I have a pretty decent size space to use to build some type of pump or skills track . the space is about 50'wx 140'L , it used to be my nitro rc racetrack , so it has a driverstand which would be perfect for fliming the craziness that will go on...lol. im a ok rider on xc stuff, but recently did a enduro race , didn't do that well cause I was nervous when it came to the drops (not to mention the phy shape you need to be in..hahaha), I can bunny hop well but that's about it . someone told me to get on a pump track it will teach you how to move your body for jumping .etc... the problem is there isn't one around me for miiiiiiles. so why not build 1 , is there a basic rule or layout you need to follow , like a imaginary blueprint ? im not looking to be a gravity rider or nothing but be able to handle the stuff that will pop up in enduro style rides. any advice that can be offered would be super helpful and much appreciated.............oh yea im a cylde 6'6 335lbs riding a( custom fitted) full suspension , I do have a ht but I don't know if carbon is worthy of that kind of abuse from a big guy like myself.....( just tryin to provide as much info as I can ) thanks again in advance

The only rule of a pump track is it must flow well... A good way to get a feel would be to attend a BMX race. They have them in Howell and Phlemington. Plus watch a bunch of youtube videos of BMX dirt jumping to get a sense of how things should flow... Since you have a decent amount of land to work with, creativity is up to you. TIP: Pump tracks are super fun when there are elevation changes. Example:

You could build a rhythm section that starts with a large roller into a pit, as you ascend out of the pit, you launch onto a table top followed by a set of triple rollers into a berm... What that will do - as you pump over the first roller into the pit, it will give you the speed to launch the lip of the table top and hopefully land smoothly on the backside of the landing of the tabletop. Done properly, you could do a combination of things with the triple rollers. (Clear them all, roll one and clear the last two, manual some or all three)

Digging pits assists with getting dirt for jumps however you must incorporate proper drainage for them so water doesn't sit in the low spots. Again, dig a pit, dig trenches on the sides of the pit for water to run away. All that digging will allow for more dirt for jumps. + now is the time to bury things. Burying things like logs and boulders help with not needing as much dirt.

Good luck!

Last edited:

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Digging allows you to constantly and easily make changes. Building wooden structures is a lot more of a commitment on the design end and a lot more $$ Don't like where your dirt pile is?.... move it. ;-)

If you look around on craigslist free section there should be free fill dirt. most will also truck it over. not sure how clean it is though

Ian F

If you look around on craigslist free section there should be free fill dirt. most will also truck it over. not sure how clean it is though

One of my friends did that. Coincidence had the dump truck arrive at his house just as he and the family were leaving for vacation. His wife was NOT pleased, but she's a good sport about these things.

While he knew it going in, he was still surprised at just how much dirt you need. They dumped like 6 yards of dirt on the driveway. It was barely enough to build a small oval pump track with a few small bumps on each straight.

Ian F

damn nobody wants to dig holes in their lawn. id say plan it out so you can just recess the track and use the dirt from that

The problem is drainage and making sure you don't end up with pools in the track that make take days to dry out after a rain. It works if your lawn is sloped - the pump track they built at Windham for the Redbull Pump Track Challenge was like that - built into the side of the mountain. The berm on one end was in the side of the slope, the berm on the other end was 16 feet high. The actual track was flat.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Drainage is always tricky...I've been digging it in as I go.
A side slope is definitely best to work with if you have it.The area in my yard that I am using is 12" or so higher than the rest of the property. obviously that isn't enough for run off so I have to get creative.
My drains hold water sometimes for a couple of days after a big rain but who cares if the tread dries and is rideable? That's how I see it anyway and my kids are always on the thing. :)
Wooden structures suck when they are wet too. You can add grip stuff to it but that gets complicated...

greeek32

We used ride at this place that had dirt jumps and they basically dug a big pond in the middle and used the dirt for the track.

For ideas take a day trip to the west Milford family pump track and ride there.

And you didn't do as bad as you think on that mountain creek enduro. It was your first gravity oriented race and the course had some tough sections, just finishing is not something to scoff at.

Next year head up to mountain creek a few times (rent a big dh bike) and ride open to close. Just 2 - 3 full days of DH will improve your skills massively. Also there are training days up there (dirt rock n root was running one that I overheard and she was giving some great advice).

mustclime

Digging allows you to constantly and easily make changes. Building wooden structures is a lot more of a commitment on the design end and a lot more $$ Don't like where your dirt pile is?.... move it. ;-)

digging has to be undug at some point.....wood burns:D

qclabrat

This is inspirational, I have about 20 acres of wooded property behind my house which is shared by my neighbors, about an acre is mine. After carving out some trails with JORBA last year at Lewis Morris, I began designing trails in about 5 acres of this space. Neighbors never go back there and are generally pretty cool about me riding around. All did was rake out paths, minor grading and a few small log obstacles. Ended up with about a quarter mile of trails, but never went back this spring or summer. Was cool to have my own trails, but really wasn't much fun. Time for a redesign.

I live on the Watchung mts second ridge so the ground is mostly rock and rubble, like Chimney Rock, so dirt comes at a premium and getting dirt in there is not possible. Also have zero budget to work with, however there are many Sandy/Irene trees down, which I can use, some even 4/5 ft in diameter. I'll moving lots of wood and working the chainsaw and splitter pretty hard this Fall. When I get going, I'll start a new thread to solicit comments and suggestions.

Top Bottom