help a tree fell on my garage

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
No one is hurt,
No humans cats puppies or bikes were harmed
Not sure about the garage, well, because theres a tree on it.
Anyone here do tree removal?
Or know of a service that wont rip me off?

Stupid questions:
Do we contact home owners insurance first?
We arent really sure if the tree belongs to me or my neighbor as its right on the line, but does that even matter? My other neighbor says it doesnt.
Why do things like this happen on a Sunday when most everyone is closed?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Definitely call home owners

If you remove tree before insurance company take pics of all angles.

Hopefully your deductible isn't outrageous.

Good luck.

jtrain

Yes call your insurance co. first. Take pictures. If you are worried call at least two tree companies and compare what they say over the phone.

More complicated is who is going to repair the damage to the garage? If rain is getting in you need to get a tarp and protect the inside.

Be thankful all of the creatures (and bikes!) are safe.

UnionRider475

I had a neighbors tree fall on my property last year. They called it an "Act of God "-
this day an age you wouldn't think they could call it that :)
It actually fell under my home owners , even though it was my neighbors tree.
I cut it up , repaired my fence and pool deck railing and got a check for $1200.00 !
Hoping another one falls similarly !!

MuniMan

We arent really sure if the tree belongs to me or my neighbor as its right on the line, but does that even matter? My other neighbor says it doesnt.

You own the portion of any tree that falls on your property. Any damage is your problem. Doesn't matter where it was rooted. All that matters is where it fell. Just like leaves, you clean up what fell on your lawn no matter if they grew on your neighbors tree.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
work through your insurance co - also get some local quotes. just call one of the big guys for an estimate.
then argue with insurance co to up the $$$ - then we'll clean it up.

pictures please!

Arwen's Mom

work through your insurance co - also get some local quotes. just call one of the big guys for an estimate.
then argue with insurance co to up the $$$ - then we'll clean it up.

pictures please!
the pics dont really do it justice how BIG this tree really is. Had 2 fellas come over. Price was within $100 of each other but one wouldnt give me a written quote. The other one did and he was more personable anyway.
heres just a few, with all the shrubbery at my house it just looks like more shrubberyP1017460.JPG
my neighbors fence got hitP1017465.JPG
view from the street so you can see the top of the garage and tree laying on it. Covers the whole garage roofP1017469.JPG

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
good that you got a quote - insurance next!

looks like alot of tree there!

Arwen's Mom

thanks everyone for your replies.
@goodvibe I will call them thanks
@mstyer I will try them too.

I did call insurance company but being sunday they are closed. So will call first thing this morning. Need get it out asap as its inconveniencing the neighbor :confused:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
thanks everyone for your replies.
@goodvibe I will call them thanks
@mstyer I will try them too.

I did call insurance company but being sunday they are closed. So will call first thing this morning. Need get it out asap as its inconveniencing the neighbor :confused:
Tough Break and good luck.

Green Mountain all the way. For sure you know Larry from Halters.

qclabrat

good to hear everyone is safe, I'm too far from you so don't think my contacts would help
neighbor is bit of a jerk, for sake a tree just hit your home, good luck with the solution

Top Bottom