Helmets

The Kalmyk

Ok, time to throw away the 9 year old helmet. I’m looking for a shop that sells Met or Kask helmets. I’m that order would be my want.

Thanks Peeps!

-Spencer

The Kalmyk

Sunday night bump.

These can easily be purchased online but would like to try on and buy locally.

?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Bro, just buy it online. Most shops stock shit for things like tires and helmets because they know everyone buys them online, they'll just try to talk you into what they stock, which may not fit you the best. If you know those brands fit your noggin like a glove, just get'em.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I got the Protone (roadie prick helmet) Holy fuck is it small. I mean overall external size. It’s tiny. Exactly what I was looking for. Interior is about .5 cm smaller than listed specks. I wear a Medium in most road helmets and usually wear higher end giro’s or a Lazer Helium on the road. My last one however was a POC Octal, which is pretty light and comfortable... but always made me feel like a Mario Bro’s mushroom. The Protone is very comfortable feels light on the head. The ear straps lie flat against the skin and the pleather neck strap is very comfortable. For reference I’m at the upper bounds of most mediums and can wear larges but I prefer a close to the head feel. I’m attaching some photos as reference. Hope this is helpful Spence.
5F6BF778-BC45-4BAC-8CFC-B8190CF8BF1B.jpeg
08F335D5-66F0-4FAE-9D4A-DB9A17B0CC68.jpeg
811FC807-B0E2-4AB7-B638-3C5ABDABAF2F.jpeg
0F011A74-C49D-4870-A5C2-6FFD2F900D4D.jpeg
4790EDC2-50F3-4C06-B00A-3D25BECD058B.jpeg
926083F1-AA83-496C-8DC9-7054C13EBFA2.jpeg
FE185B20-F255-41FC-9F09-252DA91C2E83.jpeg
C9A734C1-4ED7-499F-8747-17782F6F36C8.jpeg
196DCC19-F2EF-4BF4-BA2B-FAF5BD13893E.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Guys is a dealer and Bike King was but I am not sure if they rep

When I bought my protone, they both just carried the one standard looking roadie one (not the protone).
Kask uses really thick padded and it makes for a supper good fit. Only downside is it does hold sweat and in the summer you can push your helmet against your forehead to make a River come out.
I bought the protone because of the smaller profile as MIPS has made helmets stupid big. They seemed to have come down in size in the last two years though. Also, protone is roadie only ?

serviceguy

I got the Protone (roadie prick helmet) Holy fuck is it small. I mean overall external size. It’s tiny. Exactly what I was looking for. Interior is about .5 cm smaller than listed specks. I wear a Medium in most road helmets and usually wear higher end giro’s or a Lazer Helium on the road. My last one however was a POC Octal, which is pretty light and comfortable... but always made me feel like a Mario Bro’s mushroom. The Protone is very comfortable feels light on the head. The ear straps lie flat against the skin and the pleather neck strap is very comfortable. For reference I’m at the upper bounds of most mediums and can wear larges but I prefer a close to the head feel. I’m attaching some photos as reference. Hope this is helpful Spence.
View attachment 108510View attachment 108511View attachment 108512View attachment 108516View attachment 108517View attachment 108518View attachment 108519View attachment 108520View attachment 108521
What does Larry really think about your helmets? Also, are you weighting your suitcase up in preparation for a flight? Asking for a friend, as per usual...

rick81721

Lothar
View attachment 108510View attachment 108511View attachment 108512View attachment 108516View attachment 108517View attachment 108518View attachment 108519View attachment 108520View attachment 108521

I gotta get a new helmet - current Giro is fading away in the FL sun. Did you check out the kask valegro as well? Sounds like it might be better suited to really hot riding conditions. Wonder if it's similar in size to the protone

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I gotta get a new helmet - current Giro is fading away in the FL sun. Did you check out the kask valegro as well? Sounds like it might be better suited to really hot riding conditions. Wonder if it's similar in size to the protone
I think most of the kask are smaller than the other brands. The mojito is a good option

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Funny you should say that, I’m actually thinking about getting the Valegro in white for the days where it gets up into the high ninety’s and those few days when prolonged climbing is on the docket.

I realized that because of the shape of the helmet it sits oddly which makes it look smaller than it actually is so I’m including two more shots.

040F1EFE-DD45-4BB6-B66A-0B520CF93C5E.jpeg
D7073CDF-F1B3-4B98-BDE5-318C341E990C.jpeg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Are you a consultant for team ineous? Marginal gains? Helmet for every season.

We all know any gains I’ll ever make will be marginal.
?

Edit: in retrospect, a more honest answer to your legitimate question is probably due.

Growing up my family situation necessitated fashioning sporting equipment out of duct tape and materials found in the incinerator room if I wanted to play with the neighborhood kids.

Overcompensating? unapologetically yes.

I’m very consistent with my insistence on using the correct tool for the job. If that means having a hundred bikes (13 actually) when two would clearly cover all my “needs”... so be it.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
We all know any gains I’ll ever make will be marginal.
?

Edit: in retrospect, a more honest answer to your legitimate question is probably due.

Growing up my family situation necessitated fashioning sporting equipment out of duct tape and materials found in the incinerator room if I wanted to play with the neighborhood kids.

Overcompensating? unapologetically yes.

I’m very consistent with my insistence on using the correct tool for the job. If that means having a hundred bikes (13 actually) when two would clearly cover all my “needs”... so be it.

13 bikes?? Bad luck, add one more :p

PS I only have 5!

The Kalmyk

Did you check out the kask valegro as well? Sounds like it might be better suited to really hot riding conditions. Wonder if it's similar in size to the protone

That’s actually the helmet I like. And the follow up question I would ask anyone who has a Valegro.

Looking for style points and ventilation. I jumped on Catlike nine years ago when they first came out because it was low profile. Anything to make my giant dome piece look smaller?

The Kalmyk

Funny you should say that, I’m actually thinking about getting the Valegro in white for the days where it gets up into the high ninety’s and those few days when prolonged climbing is on the docket.

I realized that because of the shape of the helmet it sits oddly which makes it look smaller than it actually is so I’m including two more shots.

View attachment 108564View attachment 108565

Is that the protone? It looks awesome from the front

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Is that the protone? It looks awesome from the front
Yes, it’s the 2019 Protone in matte black. Looks a little better still w/out the cycling cap. Super comfortable. No silly wings, bumps, fins or protrusions. It’s head shaped so if (ok when) I hit the deck, nothing will grab the ground and cause the the type of rotational forces mips is pretending to address.

Top Bottom