Helmets MANDATORY!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have been running into helmet-less riders on the trail every time I go out.

THIS HAS TO STOP!

If you see someone w/o a helmet please STOP them and let them know that they are jepordizing the future of these trails.

I really could care less about them but the reality is that if someone gets seriously hurt out here we could loose acesss to the trails.

This is no joke.

I personally smash a helmet about every other year.

One guy tols me that these trails are so easy that he didn't need a helmet. DUH!

J_

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
3 out of a group of 4 were w/o last Wednesday. Also 2 other younger kids were w/o. i think we saw more w/o than with. JUST PLAIN DUMB!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
3 out of a group of 4 were w/o last Wednesday. Also 2 other younger kids were w/o. i think we saw more w/o than with. JUST PLAIN DUMB!

You have to stop them and let them know that it is not cool.

If money is an issue you can send them to me.

J_

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
completely agreed on this topic. when i first started riding i didnt wear one when i would just do local around town runs, but now ill wear it at anytime my feet are clicked in. we see this woman at allaire all the time rolling around with no helmet. when we roll past her i knock my helmet with my knuckle waiting for her to catch on maybe. haha.

Madness

If you are not wearing a helmet in the trails you must feel like a complete looser when you realize that everybody and I mean everybody around you is wearing one. Maybe we should put a sign on the first tree at the trail head that says Helmets Mandatory and those caught without one will be stripped and duck tapped to a pole so everybody can see the Dumb Ass that you really are for not wearing a helmet.......:getsome:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
If you are not wearing a helmet in the trails you must feel like a complete looser when you realize that everybody and I mean everybody around you is wearing one.

I know I did. after my first week if riding i purchased one, now i cant NOT wear it :)

walter

Fourth Party
When I met my neighbor, he said he would like to go riding with me. We get to Allaire and I see he has now gear, just his bike. Then says to me as I put my gloves, helmet and camelbak on, "what do you need all that for?" We rolled about 800 feet down the fire road and I told him I had a flat, turned around and went home.

A lot of people have the mentality that they are mightier than all, that they are to good to crash. My honest opinion, its the stuff at eye level on the trail that takes out most people. Low branches, stuff whipping back at your face, etc. are the things a lot of people dont expect. All that a helmet can protect you from.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I skated street and mini for a solid 10 years and never wore a helmet except in parks, then when I got into bmx and riding trails (jumps), we would be hitting sections with 20'+ downhill jumps that were literally like concrete in the summer, and never wore helmets. Now I ride stuff that seems so much less dangerous in comparision and I always wear one...I think it comes down to alot of what everyones else is doing....and maybe falling without a helmet for 20 years has knocked some sense in to me, literally.

in any case, wear one just to protect you head from branches, just like wise ole walter said...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
yes, branch security is a great perk....

except when you get a branch clips your helmet buckles, thats no fun :p

liong71er

and don,t forget sunglasses too!!
it protect not only UV but also small branches,dust,flying dirty mud, insect and to check out nice chicks w/o they noticing, also to look cool.:cool:

i,m always wearing helmet even when i taking shower,...:)

warcricket

Like a Jerk
and don,t forget sunglasses too!!
it protect not only UV but also small branches,dust,flying dirty mud, insect and to check out nice chicks w/o they noticing, also to look cool.:cool:

i,m always wearing helmet even when i taking shower,...:)

showers can be slippery

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Not scratching your cornea with a thorn is always the better option ;)(I have seen what comes of that....not good). As for helmets.. I will not ride with any one who is not wearing a brain bucket. I have destroyed 3 helmets, one hit an embedded rock in the trail and it lifted a chunk out cracking it thru and thru in 4 spots. It would have been a partial lobotomy at least. It was such a bad hit that the two guys I had taken on their first off road ride (they were both road commuters circa 1988), never went on the trails again.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
on the tuesday night ride we pasted at least 3 helmet less riders I being me just gave them the "dude, what no helmet crack?" or something like that.
it will thin the heard eventually but in the mean time it could be another bad mark on the trails..

warcricket

Like a Jerk
6 mile is just so gosh darn inviting!

the first time i rode there (before i knew what bikes where) was by accident and i didn't have a lid on

most the people i see helmetless look like first timers who seem to have stumbled upon the place because they live close by and have little to no knowledge of mt biking.

VanDbtRiver

that is a good point! Usually when i tell noobs to where a helmet they shrug it off, but when i tell them that if they get hurt they jeopardize everyone else riding, they put one on.

Grampaaah

I was riding on sunday and I started riding alongside a guy with no helmet, we got passed by a guy going the opposite who yelled something along the lines of "put a helmet on cause I'm not cleaning up your ehfing brains with a shovel" Is that the sort of attitude that is really going to help us cut down on no helmet riders? There is always going to be some first timer/ to good to wear a helmet guy, but if we are going to make any change I think we would do much better trying to bring people into the fold, rather then making us (The helmet wearing concerned riders) look like smug jerks. I was wearing a helmet and I wanted to punch the shouting guy, how do you think the no helmet guy felt!
I caught up with the no helmet guy, convinced him to get one and now we are riding together this weekend.

The Kalmyk

Wasn't sure if this topic was going to hit the board....FUCKING MANDATORY

sorry mods its that important

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
my chick took a low hanging branch hard to the head at mercer after the turkey chase still rocked her a bit she didnt see it...then she thanked my for buying her the helmet...they should def be mandatory...sister says they are down in ATL...i got a friend thats a D bag and wont get one i rode with him at allaire once in the beginning of the summer i felt embarrassed to be out there with him cause i know better...kenS ran into us...like i said hes a D bag...

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Personally, the ones that make me craziest are the parents riding without helmets alongside kids who are. WTF does that say to a kid?
To them I say, "Mom, dad, where's you're helmet?"
To the fools that I pass... "Get a helmet, you'll go faster. Aerodynamics."
Or, if it's appropriate "Donde esta su casco?" - and there's certainly a lot of those.

Seriously, If you say it respectfully, it will eat at most people until they get one. If you scream at them, like Grampaaah experienced, it just causes friction and the FU attitude.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions