Helmets MANDATORY!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Looks like it worked!!

This morning at 6-Mile I saw 2 dirtbags on Cannondales without helmets. One of them at least had a camouflage hat on backwards. That way when I knock him into the woods next time his hat will catch his brain. Come to think of it, the hat may be too big. Idiots.:hmmm:

-Jim.

I encourage everyone to say at least something to anyone w/o a helmet.

My favorite is "Be careful.. My buddy had his bike confiscated because he wasn't wearing a helmet!" This little white lie might just work.

j-

walter

Fourth Party
Looks like it worked!!

This morning at 6-Mile I saw 2 dirtbags on Cannondales without helmets. One of them at least had a camouflage hat on backwards. That way when I knock him into the woods next time his hat will catch his brain. Come to think of it, the hat may be too big. Idiots.:hmmm:

-Jim.
I think we saw these guys last week on the group ride, the conversation went something like this:

Snyder-Hey guys whats up, no helmets?
helmetless guy #1-nah, we're taking it easy
helmetless guy #2-nah, its summer
Snyder-whatever, enjoy the ride

I think the one guy had a doo rag on, and we all know how well doo rags retain grey matter:rolleyes:

D

DANSPANK

Endoed twice today at Jungle Habitat. Glad I had my brain crate on. Wish I had one for my garmin. Alas it has now left me for the heavens. RIP garmin 305 :(

Minotaur

I'm ashamed to admit the thought has crossed my mind to go helmetless when I am riding someplace as tame as Manasquan Reservoir or when I erroneously believe that Ocean Ave. in Long Branch is safe (the Pier Village area). But then I think better of it. Especially this past weekend when I even asked a cop directing traffic how they avoid getting run down. These drivers are crazy. He just looked at me as if to say "you really have no idea what it's like". All it would take is getting clipped by one of these in-a-hurry-in-an-SUV drivers, and say bye-bye. So, I will never go helmetless anywhere, though I am one of the very few I ever see with a helmet. I've remarked to people, and I get a weak smile that says "yeah OK geek".

helmets are for weak men haha
ashamed but i dont even own a helmet that i bought.
yeah i have a couple around the house but pshhh

Minotaur

There was a boy I was growing up with and friends with in my old neighborhood in Vailsburg Newark. His family lived two doors down, and we played all the time. His family took me to their vacation home in Ocean Gate, sat for me, and so on.

Now, this incident was 35 years ago when helmets were unheard of. Nevertheless it can still happen today.

He was 13 years old, riding his bike on South Orange Avenue not far from Seton Hall. I forget the intersecting road. At any rate, a car accidentally clipped him. Maybe the driver misjudged, maybe Billy swerved, who knows?

Billy went flying off his bike, his head forcefully hitting the curb. Let's put it this way... in the funeral parlor his casket was turned from the customary direction because there was nothing the morticians could do cosmetically about the damage to his skull.

His mother was never the same.

no i wasnt high and yes i was serious. i never got kicked out of anything for not wearing a helmet, i haven't fell in like forever and i ride cushetunk frequently and never endo. We have our hands to break the fall. oh well i guess i'll learn the hard way one day.

ohh btw way to be prick and i guess your fucking cool also douche

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
no i wasnt high and yes i was serious. i never got kicked out of anything for not wearing a helmet, i haven't fell in like forever and i ride cushetunk frequently and never endo. We have our hands to break the fall. oh well i guess i'll learn the hard way one day.

1. NEVER say never, I thought never a few weeks back and face planted my next ride, at 6 mile! Jdog had a bad crash a few weeks back also.

2. Is there something with punctuation and the 6 mile threads? We aren't texting here, learn to use the . and , sometimes. And this, coming from me:confused:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I'll give you credit for trying to slip it by me. Good job taking what I wrote in another thread and then immediately trying to get one in! Nice!

Just for that I'm going to give you a 6 day stay in the penalty box instead of 7.

In the meantime, I want you to study this page. There will be a quiz next Monday at noon.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
never got kicked, huh?
you posted this before a while ago:

i went again today and i never got talked to about bike riding there until today.. apparently your not allowed to ride unless your on the main trail and must have a helmet...he made me leave right away...wow

i was on the trail right next to the swimming area near the boat ramp #1. Its where you go across a stone bridge thing and go through the gate and ride until you hit the main trail. I'm 16 with two of my friends and im the only one that takes mountain biking really seriously and wearing a helmet aint exactly cool in front of your friends but i wear one when I'm by my self

walter

Fourth Party

if this ever happens, hopefully you will be fortunate enough to get a second chance and get yourself a helmet

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
never got kicked, huh?
you posted this before a while ago:

i went again today and i never got talked to about bike riding there until today.. apparently your not allowed to ride unless your on the main trail and must have a helmet...he made me leave right away...wow

i was on the trail right next to the swimming area near the boat ramp #1. Its where you go across a stone bridge thing and go through the gate and ride until you hit the main trail. I'm 16 with two of my friends and im the only one that takes mountain biking really seriously and wearing a helmet aint exactly cool in front of your friends but i wear one when I'm by my self

Oh snap! Miketrek got banned and pwned in the same hour!

No really I'm 36, turning 37 in a few months. Seriously, I am.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
man, this forum is starting to liven up!

ive seen plenty times when a helmet has saved someones life, i wont ride without one again.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Wearing your helmet is cool. Know why? Because it's cool when someone takes something seriously. Nothing cool about dabbling. And how serious can you be about mountain biking if you're not getting dressed for it? It's like putting on your seat belt before racing some guy at the stop light or putting on your toughguy boots when you think you may be throwing down later that night or putting on your sexiest thong when you're hitting the bars. :rolleyes: Now I've said too much.

D

DANSPANK

Didn't someone mention that there's the potential for mtb trail access to be banned if someone is badly injured on the trails (with your chances being increased if you don't wear a lid)? So even if someone is too cool to wear a helmet, surely they're not so selfish that they would risk trail access for the other bikers in the area?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions