Helmets MANDATORY!

Let's see if we can get a photo of a smiling Chuck-E-Chillout holding his helmet from the race. As they say, a picture tells a thousand words.

I think it's cool that this conversation and others like it have swayed some people to get a brian bucket and they'll be glad they did. But let's start a "Post Your Smashed Helmets" thread. Besides being fun, it might be really effective.

It seems that everyone who i see riding without a helmet, when i tell them they should get one, they reply with, "oh im not doing any technical stuff, just riding." They dont get the point that you dont have to be doing anything technical, they could easily just be sitting/standing on their bike and just fall over, and wham, hit their head on a rock. Most of the injuries i have sustained while riding/boarding were all when i wasnt doing anything technical. Also some of the younger people i see up at 6mi, tell me helmets dont look cool blah blah and all that nonsense. I tell em, well when I come flying over a logsticle and see you and your brain just chillin on the trail I dont think its going to look too cool either.

flying over a logsticle and see you and your brain just chillin on the trail I dont think its going to look too cool either.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was talking about, as a longtime hold out on rocking a helmet (snowboarding, skating, biking) that kind of talk really is only going to get an ehf you response. If you talk to people they are much more likely to realize it is the right thing to do. By the way the brains on the floor visual is not a good persuasion either, I helped some kid who smashed his head open skating. The kid's head was actually cracked open and he died shortly after, and my friends and I helped hold his head together while we waited for an ambulance. We were only about 13 at the time and NONE of us wore helmets after that, the act of watching a kid go into seizures, pump blood, and holding his skull together was not enough to convince anyone of the people I was with to start wearing one. In fact we never even really spoke about it, we got some cracks from the people who came to help the kid "see thats what you get" but it wasn't until much later when I spoke with a relative who convinced me, through logic and an actual discussion it was the right choice to make. SO PLEASE realize all of the people who use these drastically inappropriate "I don't want to clean up your brains" calls, despite being in the right you are prob doing more harm then good, and try talking someone, who isn't wearing a helmet, as a person, and not someone who is just going to screw it up for the rest of us.

A point that that should stick, and that's been made a few times in this thread, is that you should wear a helmet or the trails may get closed. Then where are you going to ride...? Try telling them that instead of brain trail pudding stories.

I proved this morning that you should always wear a helmet, even at non-technical places...

At 6 this morning first my bike comp was acting up and pissing me off, whatever who cares, so I am cruising along as normal and I am tracking a tad right approaching the first log in the new section cut in May or June after the gas line. I do my typical front wheel tap but caught my right foot (i guess) on part of the root ball of the log that sticks up about 1', BLAM! OTB, side of the face /temple (right where my visor attaches to my XEN) hit along with the rest of the right side of my body. It rung my f'ing bell damn good. That ground at six mile is seriously like concrete! This was probably one of my hardest falls on a MTB as I did not even see it coming and my face hit before I even knew what was going on. If I wasn't wearing a helmet I would most likely have been knocked out. Kept riding after a min of self pity..

Then - continue towards S Middlebush, coming out of the switchbacks, tracking right again, knucklecruncher on a tree, off the bike, onto my side, WTF.

THEN - Crossing the cement bridge, a tree fell over beside the bridge and a 2" thick branch was head level and Whack! Smacked the helmet, didnt fall though. Broke that f'er off, kept riding.

So ONB on the red, on the way back, caught front wheel on a hidden stick on the right side which threw me left, stopped just before a tree and fell to the left in a clown-like fashion into some nice soft vines. WTF!

Rest of the ride was uneventful. In any case, I still had a good ride as the trails were good and it was a perfect morning.

Ok, so the other day i saw the same kids there on their bmx bikes and took your advice grandpahh. I said that they will be jeopardizing being able to ride on these trails, the response i got: "We dont care, this place sucks anyway"..i then proceeded to ask why come here? and then answered with its close and has a jump or 2... So your approach just made them retaliate with an average rebellious teenage response of an "ehf you", whereas my brain spillage thing kind of left them speechless (even if they were ignoring me). Had they been older, the trail closing approach would have worked and i would have used it because i know that any mtbr who loves riding 6mi would take that into consideration more-so over the brain spillage.
Either way im just trying to help keep this trail alive as it is a trail i ride everyday and i dont want anything to happen to it.

Also grampahh, youd think after witnessing such a horrid event that you and your friends would start wearing helmets. Reason for not is because when your young you think your invincible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so the other day i saw the same kids there on their bmx bikes and took your advice grandpahh. I said that they will be jeopardizing being able to ride on these trails, the response i got: "We dont care, this place sucks anyway"..i then proceeded to ask why come here? and then answered with its close and has a jump or 2... So your approach just made them retaliate with an average rebellious teenage response of an "ehf you", whereas my brain spillage thing kind of left them speechless (even if they were ignoring me). Had they been older, the trail closing approach would have worked and i would have used it because i know that any mtbr who loves riding 6mi would take that into consideration more-so over the brain spillage.
Either way im just trying to help keep this trail alive as it is a trail i ride everyday and i dont want anything to happen to it.

Also grampahh, youd think after witnessing such a horrid event that you and your friends would start wearing helmets. Reason for not is because when your young you think your invincible.

punch them, or did they seriously out number you? remember you'll have better protection against head shots.

punch them, or did they seriously out number you? remember you'll have better protection against head shots.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sometimes when younger kids get smart with me i would love to hand them their teeth, but i always take a more peaceful approach and try to talk it out. In this case they wont listen. However, I know that any child under the age of 17 is required by law to wear a helmet. I cant really blame them though, when i was that age i didnt want to listen to anything anyone had to say, thats just how it is. And then when your older, you look back and say, "damn they were right".

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sometimes when younger kids get smart with me i would love to hand them their teeth, but i always take a more peaceful approach and try to talk it out. In this case they wont listen. However, I know that any child under the age of 17 is required by law to wear a helmet. I cant really blame them though, when i was that age i didnt want to listen to anything anyone had to say, thats just how it is. And then when your older, you look back and say, "damn they were right".

apparently police in north brunswick are strict about it too, $25 fine i think...

Maybe it's my lack of abilities for the trails I have chosen over the years but over the course of 11 years, I have bashed in 4 Bell helmets. I've always buy their helmets because you send it back with $40 and the send you a new helmet with a certificate that says "Saved by the Bell". Some of those crashes were gnarly and I probably be a vegitable by now:drooling: . I swear by Bel helmets and always ask helmetless (brainless) people to please go to their LBS & spend a little dough on the cheapest helmet they can so I don't have to be the one scooping up their gray matter off the trail. :rofl: GREAT THREAD!!!

I swear by Bel helmets and always ask helmetless (brainless) people to please go to their LBS & spend a little dough on the cheapest helmet they can so I don't have to be the one scooping up their gray matter off the trail. :rofl: GREAT THREAD!!!

Yep, I'm all in favor of NOT seeing gray matter, again. Once was enough:puke:

Today, on my road ride nonetheless, I stopped at 6-mile to use the facilities. I saw a family riding various types of entry level MTBs all without helmets, including their kids, who were definitely underage. I also saw 2 mountain bikers on much higher-end bikes also helmetless, not to stereotype people, but one also had a triple-clamp fork on his bike. Idiots.

-Jim.

Today, on my road ride nonetheless, I stopped at 6-mile to use the facilities. I saw a family riding various types of entry level MTBs all without helmets, including their kids, who were definitely underage. I also saw 2 mountain bikers on much higher-end bikes also helmetless, not to stereotype people, but one also had a triple-clamp fork on his bike. Idiots.

-Jim.

Haven't you heard about the new downhill additions to the park!? :rofl:

Picture020.jpg

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!

Damn son!!

Looks like it worked!!

This morning at 6-Mile I saw 2 dirtbags on Cannondales without helmets. One of them at least had a camouflage hat on backwards. That way when I knock him into the woods next time his hat will catch his brain. Come to think of it, the hat may be too big. Idiots.:hmmm:

-Jim.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions