Helmets MANDATORY!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Death comes quick to those w/o helmets.

I was out w/o one last night to do some trail work and I felt Nehkid.

J_

Frank

Sasquatch
my chick took a low hanging branch hard to the head at mercer after the turkey chase still rocked her a bit she didnt see it...then she thanked my for buying her the helmet...they should def be mandatory...sister says they are down in ATL...i got a friend thats a D bag and wont get one i rode with him at allaire once in the beginning of the summer i felt embarrassed to be out there with him cause i know better...kenS ran into us...like i said hes a D bag...

I agree, KenS is a douche!

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
i just read my 3rd grade post and at the end it sure does look like im calling ken a D bag...ahahahaha...but im not i dont think...

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Death comes quick to those w/o helmets.
J_

Nicely said!

I'm glad this came up.

Gang, If you've still got your smashed helmet, let me know.
Last fall, I started working with my son on a project... kinda like a public service thing.

We'd like to get a couple photos with riders holding the helmets that took the hit and saved their brains. We're looking for all kinds of cyclists including road, MTB, casual, fit, not so fit, young and young at heart riders.

We all know there are way too many riders without helmets. Teens(like my son) are the toughest to reach but we think the right photos or video clips with the right messages can go a long, long way.

Last edited:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I skated street and mini for a solid 10 years and never wore a helmet except in parks, then when I got into bmx and riding trails (jumps), we would be hitting sections with 20'+ downhill jumps that were literally like concrete in the summer, and never wore helmets. Now I ride stuff that seems so much less dangerous in comparision and I always wear one...I think it comes down to alot of what everyones else is doing....and maybe falling without a helmet for 20 years has knocked some sense in to me, literally.

in any case, wear one just to protect you head from branches, just like wise ole walter said...

heh, same story for me. Coming from bmx, the only time I wore a helmet or any kind of protection was at a skatepark. I would never think about getting on the road or mtb without it though.

The majority of the helmet-less mtbers that I see are the type of guys you would expect to see at the gym taking turns on the benchpress all night. I saw a group of college age guys at mercer last week with no helmets.

I was hiking at wissahickon one weekend and saw a guy leading a ride of 20 or so people, 4 or 5 of which belonged to some sort of team, and the ride leader had no helmet on. Way to set an example, especially at a rocky place like wissahickon.

T

troop

Damn, I haven't been riding for too long. 2 months at most and I only came here looking for a map of Chimney Rock, but you guys convinced my ass to get some brain armor .

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
first off welcome aboard..
second good choice on getting a helmet,yet another convert who has seen the light.:)
when I first started riding I wore one in the trail but not on the road I figured there a no trees to run in to why bother.
that was until I fell in the parking lot out at manasquan reservoir riding into the trail.
since then I wont ride without one....it only takes one bad fall and you are pretty much f**ked..
l8tr..

T

troop

so you are saying that roughly, a quarter acre parking lot knocked some sense into u getting a helmet. ??? my applauses go out to you sir :2guns: because i took straight concrete to the melon 24/7 when i skated and still didnt realize i needed armor???

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Damn, I haven't been riding for too long. 2 months at most and I only came here looking for a map of Chimney Rock, but you guys convinced my ass to get some brain armor .

I can't even begin to tell you how happy that makes me.
So just tell us when you end up needing it, how happy you are that you got one.

Today at Waywayanda I slipped climbing a slimy roller, lost control of the bike, went over the edge and off the wrong side of the sucker, endo'd and among other things, landed face first on a fallen log. Got a real taste for the place... :eek:
Anyway, as I spit out rotten wood particles, I was amazed that I didn't put my teeth through my lips on that log.

Four hours later, when we emerged from the trails and took off my helmet, I realized I have a 3 1/2 inch bruised lump along my forehead. That's why I'm not full of stitches with drool pouring out of the gashes... the helmet(and visor) took the brunt of that face plant and I just got the impact of the foam.

Helmets are a good thing, don't leave home without them.;)

Last edited:

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
If you think you don't need a helmet, then you probably don't need one. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, this does have to stop.

TommyCrash

I'm Old(er)

I'm two steps away from the the big 4-0 (holy F!) and the closer I get to it, I realize the that, I'm Old! No really, I'm Older(er)...NO Wear A Melmet.... That means I know more so.. B cuz im hav mor nolegee.( Wear A Helmet. cant u c I cant spel so good no mor.. OH I'm sorry I though I was textin. WTF!! Trees Don't Move! They don't care! You're ehfin wit dem. & da roks,de hrt 2. wer da helmet!

S

Stinky1

I not only wear a helmet, i also wear shin/knee guards. I have messed my shins and knees up way to much to take any more abuse to them. They arent that uncomfortable and at least when my foot slips off my platforms it doesnt make little holes in my shins. I do need a new helmet since the one i use is my bmx one from back in the day, never smashed it yet though, its just too big and hot to wear so im actually planning on heading to halters and grabbin another brain bucket thats comfortable.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Good but..

I know you guys all wear them and that is good.

The point here is that newbies are out in the woods all the time W/O helmets.

It is our responsibility to educate them about the value of helmets.

This and any other park could face negative pressure if someone is killed or seriously hurt riding.

We need to make it clear that it is NOT cool or acceptable to ride w/o a helmet at 6 mile or anywhere else.

An easy thing to do is to let them know that you or a friend has smashed a helmet and the helmet did it's job. I know I have.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions