Helmet Life

walter

Fourth Party
I know a lot of folks say that after a good head crash you should replace your lid. But if you don't smash your noggin on a regular basis do helmets have a life span. I have been on the same Bell X-Ray for about 5 years and was wondering if Im due. For a new helmet, not a head smashin'

thanks

gtluke

The Moped
I think the helmet companies came up with that idea.
If it's cracked, replace it. Get aggressive with it and see if there are any cracks forming.

BiknBen

I know a lot of folks say that after a good head crash you should replace your lid. But if you don't smash your noggin on a regular basis do helmets have a life span. I have been on the same Bell X-Ray for about 5 years and was wondering if I'm due. For a new helmet, not a head smashin'

thanks

This is often debated. The helmet makers won't throw out any definitive answers. The dumbo retailers will tell ya two years cause they want to sell ya a new one. I've read that 5 years a good time to retire a helmet. The foam does have a lifespan and may become brittle after many years being tossed around and left in a hot car, etc.

After a few years, my helmets really start to look like shit. The pads and straps get nasty and such. That is when I start looking to get rid of it. Actually I've got so many helmets that I have one for all types of rides. Road, MTB, Night, helmet-cam, road race, etc. It's kinda funny.

"When in doubt...throw it out!"

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Sweat, UV-Rays, cold & hot temps and general impact wear down the hard foam. It is suggested that you replace every 3-4 years.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
just think of all the times you accidentally dropped it, your bike fell on it, it rattled around in the trunk with bike parts and gear. Every little compression adds up. The helmet material doesnt have a memory.

I would say after 5 years of use, it has served you well.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I rode with the same miners cap for 10 years, a cold snap passed thru and I tested out a FF I recvs as a gift - over jumped a landing seperated an AC and broke a thumb, knocked unconcious infront of "a bloddy mess". Had I not been wearing a FF I think the end result may have been worse. The thing with helmuts is you really never know - I am not a proponent of wearing one all the time, but they do save lives. Personal preference is the basis of my debates.

THATmanMANNY

If it's been stored indoors for the most part, keep using it and don't waste it. A good motorcycle helmet stored indoors should keep you busy for more than a handful of years if taken care and stored away properly. I would assume the same for bike helmets. If the foam starts loosing color and becoming lighter and lighter it may be the end. In the end, just use your judgment.

ArmyOfNone

Bell website

when should i replace my helmet?
How often should a helmet be replaced under normal wear and tear?
Bell has a general recommendation of replacing a helmet every three (3) years. If you have any questions as to the condition of your helmet please call us for information or to set up a free inspection.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Also, improvements with the adjustments and securing systems usually makes a new helmet worth it too. Every couple of year, each manufacturer seems to update there systems.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I know a lot of folks say that after a good head crash you should replace your lid. But if you don't smash your noggin on a regular basis do helmets have a life span. I have been on the same Bell X-Ray for about 5 years and was wondering if Im due. For a new helmet, not a head smashin'

thanks

Wow -- five years! I must sweat acid or something because my foam is shot by two to three years -- it gets all rough inside. And don't even mention the stink! P-U

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I see people bring in all kinds if 20+ year old helmets and they think that I am trying to "sell" them something they don't need when I suggest a new one.

It is important to try on more than a few brands for fit.

While Bell owns both Giro and Bell, they both have different shapes. One is more round and the other is more oval. I can't recall which is which.

The new helmets fit better than ever and they are safer since the helmets standards have become tougher over the years.

In terms of fit it is important to note that the lower end helmets are "one size fits most" while the higher end models come in at least 3 sizes.

I personally love the new Bell Volt but much of the same technology can be had in helmets that sell for 1/2 the price.

J-Dro

What kind do you wear??

That kind!

How ironic that one of the Blockheads on Gumby was named J. :rofl:

Blockheads.jpg

Ian F

I don't think the helmet manufacturers would state a definitive life span... the legal possibilities there could be bad... For some reason, I have a bunch of helmets... 3 or 4 normal types... two Vigor full-face... and my old Bell FF MX lid that suffered through my early DH racing days (quite scarred, visor broken off...).

I tend to have trouble finding a helmet that fits well, so when I'm in the mood to try them on, if I find one that fits I buy it... regardless if I really need it or not... I have a similar issue with shoes... I have 2 or 3 pairs of Nike Cairnes in the closet, NIB, that I ordered when they wre on close-out years ago. IIRC, there's a NIB helmet in there as well.

Top Bottom