Helmet Cam article in the NY Times

BiknBen

Thanks for the effort. I watched that sample video of all the cams. I have a question about the VholdR. The VholdR just recorded wind noise while the others were nice and clear. Did you notice that in all the video recorded with the VholdR?

The sample using the VholdR was out on the road. Were you just going faster and therefore got more wind noise? Were the other recorders still clear at higher speed?

Thanks again.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the effort. I watched that sample video of all the cams. I have a question about the VholdR. The VholdR just recorded wind noise while the others were nice and clear. Did you notice that in all the video recorded with the VholdR?

The sample using the VholdR was out on the road. Were you just going faster and therefore got more wind noise? Were the other recorders still clear at higher speed?

Thanks again.

The others didn't seem to have as much wind noise, which was probably due to the mic positions. On the Vio and the Archos, the mics are on the cable, not the helmet unit, so they're shielded a bit by your body. I didn't have a ton of time to test them, but I'd guess that the VHoldR in less windy conditions would be better (it was REALLY windy that day). Might even be possible to rig up a wind screen for it to cut down that noise.

At the end of the day, the biggest factor for me is video quality, and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality out of the VHoldR and the Vio. The Archos at full res looked pretty bad- oversharpened and contrasty- but strangely enough looked the best of the three when shrunk down and re-compressed for the Times web video...

Top Bottom