Helloooooo Hawley PA-help!

RNG1

Hey everybody, will be taking the family on a little getaway at the end of the month for a few days and am looking to get some riding in as well. Does anybody know anyone or familiar with any shops or places to ride in the area of Hawley PA? I will google but its always better when you know somebody to talk with first. I'd like to get some off-road in but I may take the road bike as well. Thanks, any info is appreciated!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Hey pal - We actually did a long weekend at a lake house a few years ago out there -- ariel lake i think it was. I did a couple MTB rides: up in prompton state park by honesdale, and in another park just west of carbondale, merli-sarnoski i think it was. i found them both on mtbr's trails sections. the trail in prompton had some real tech to it, though i was just starting riding so maybe it's actually pretty easy.

RNG1

I don't think Prompton Lakes is easy by any stretch...check out "okay, maybe this was a mistake"...

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6168&page=5

Point taken...
With the power of the internet I just spoke to someone who just opened a bike shop 15 minutes from where I will be. Spoke to a woman whose husband is apparantly the hard core rider who was out at the moment but I may be on the right "trail" so to speak!
I'm still open to info though...

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i know hawley/masthope pretty well - up by big bear ski area right and lake lackawaxen.

i have ridden up there on the game lands - man there is so much land up there. there are a lot of trails up there, but most of them for hunting and none of them were hiking/biking specific, so what starts off as a solid trail usually just ended up fading into very sparse trail or forest trail, and i would eventually pick back up on a fireroad that i would stumble across. so my experience was kind of a shot in the dark. sometimes i would get lucky and find some good stuff, sometimes, not so much.

but everytime i would bring the bike up there, i would venture into a new game land and i had fun. its rough riding - as in totally unmaintained - so lots of deadfall or just uncut triail in spots. if you do venture into a game lands for riding, wear lots of bright orange. there are a ton of hunters up there.

RNG1

Thanks for the tip, thus part of the reason I am trying to find a local to ride with and hope it doesn't turn into deliverance. I may have to break out the day glo underwear to match my socks in my avatar.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Whats the name of the shop and where is it? I go through Hawley to get to the family vacation house further north. I would say you might have a better bet bringing the roadie up there. There is no traffic on the roads up there.

Gregg

Please keep us posted

My parents live up there off 739 and I haven't ventured out for any mountain biking but would like to hear about what you find. There is plenty of road riding to be found with some good climbs and rolling hills. Just beware of the pick up trucks and big Buick's with only white hair and knuckles visible.

RNG1

Whats the name of the shop and where is it? I go through Hawley to get to the family vacation house further north. I would say you might have a better bet bringing the roadie up there. There is no traffic on the roads up there.

There is a good sized shop that I found in Milford and the guy I spoke to was very helpful but that is at least 30mi from where I will be and they only do road group rides. He did have a guy who worked there that rides off road a lot who is supposed to call me back. I don't think this will work as I don't really want to get into driving far and then first riding as it is supposed to be family time. Then I decided to call the place that we are actually staying at to see if by chance I could get someone on the phone who could help and they said that a brand new shop called Saw Mill Cycles just opened about 15 minutes away and that is what I am hopeful about at the moment. I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom