Hello from NW NJ

scatterbrn

Hi all: New to the site and mtb. Generally I just ride like the wind up and down the paulinskill valley trail for exercise since its practically across the street from me but lately I've been wanting to try something a bit more challenging.
I'm thinking of trying some beginner technical trails to cut my teeth on but I'm not sure where to start. I hear there's some great trails in Allamuchy but I'm not sure if they are all too advanced for me and my basic entry level bike (Trek 820)

Any suggestions of where I can go? Warren, Sussex and Morris counties are all good.

EpicRidr

Deer Park

You can't go wrong with Deer Park (part of Allamuchy, access from county 517). It has some stuff that's not so different from spinning on a rail trail, but also some more interesting stuff too, and the climbing is reasonable. Kittatinny also has a good mix of beginner, intermediate, and rail trail, with some short sharp climbs.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
My suggestion is Kittatinny.
Park at the Sussex Branch trailhead dirt lot just north of Limecrest Rd. and explore the singletrack on both sides of the railtrail.
Impossible to get lost.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Btown in da house! I am a bred born baller from btown so big welcome home slice. As said KVSP and Deer park are the best places to cut your teeth on.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
welcome to here!

as mentioned, KVSP and Deer Park are great starts.

and who cares what you ride, you ride and that's the point!

Blk06CompIRL

welcome! and just remember if you are riding a trail and things get beyond your comfort level just get off and walk it. There is no shame in pushing a bike up a hill or over an obstacle just as long as you have fun. My GF and i ride paulinskill valley trail as well as sussex branch trail. The 13 mile loop they made changes it up a little.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
welcome! and just remember if you are riding a trail and things get beyond your comfort level just get off and walk it. There is no shame in pushing a bike up a hill or over an obstacle just as long as you have fun.

words of wisdom there!

and will add:
Do not let pride cause you to crash, do not let fear prevent you from having fun!

JSko

Welcome, Deer Park and KVSP are great places to start.

Deer Park is great, I just started riding myself, and DP was the first place I went to. I just started riding in Allamuchy North this weekend, and it wasn't too bad. I am having a blast even if I have to walk a few spots.

scatterbrn

Thanks

Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice! much appreciated!

dbennettdjb6: I'll definitely take you up on that.

Top Bottom