Hello from Hanover

NightFell

Hi, newbie from Hanover NJ looking to try out this sport. I’m a long time trail & nature enthusiast and most recently have been tackling the trails in the form of competitive trail/endurance riding on horseback. I had a full ride season planned for this year but unfortunately my horse got injured earlier this month and it’ll be awhile before she resumes a full work load again. In the meantime, I needed a way to stay in shape and wanted continue riding the trails…soooo here I am.

I am in the market for my first bike so if anyone has something solid and safe that they are looking to sell for a reasonable price, let me know. Hardtail, 27.5” wheel, flat pedals, disc brakes or rim…nothing too fancy. I’m 5’4” and slender/petite. Plan is to stop in the local bike stores around me thoughout the week, but if I can find one used from a member here that’d be nice.

I live 20-25 minutes from Lewis Morris and am planning to make that my little playground until I master the basics. If anyone is willing to meet up and mentor a beginner on footwork and tips, I’ll be ever grateful.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!!

There is a Meetup ride every Wednesday at Lewis Morris. VERY beginner friendly group. I would highly recommend attending one...great group of people. I believe the group meets at 5:30pm in the Sunrise Lake parking lot and rolls out from there.

NightFell

Thanks so much everyone, looking forward to meeting you at one point or another :)

Welcome!!

There is a Meetup ride every Wednesday at Lewis Morris. VERY beginner friendly group. I would highly recommend attending one...great group of people. I believe the group meets at 5:30pm in the Sunrise Lake parking lot and rolls out from there.

This sounds like exactly what I was looking for! I finish up work at 5:30pm though so may be close to 6pm, possibly later due to Morristown traffic, when I get to the lot. Hate to keep people waiting before the ride even begins :p

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tourne County Park in Denville is also pretty close. It's similar to Lewis Morris, but a little bit rockier and a little bit less hilly. There is a weekly Meetup ride there as well, Tuesdays at 6pm.

NightFell

Thanks JimN, I'll be sure to check out that Meetup event as well :) Tourne was another place I had in mind; that, Lewis Morris , and a few other places listed (e.g.; Ringwood, Ramapo) are familiar walk/hiking locations for me. The latter trails I've heard are a lot more technical so I don't expect to ride there soon....yet.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome aboard.... if you get a bit south there is a Tuesday night ride at Allaire that is beginner friendly...

jumpa

Thanks so much everyone, looking forward to meeting you at one point or another :)

This sounds like exactly what I was looking for! I finish up work at 5:30pm though so may be close to 6pm, possibly later due to Morristown traffic, when I get to the lot. Hate to keep people waiting before the ride even begins :p

Welcome! I actually ride Lew'mo around 6-630 on the norm, feel free to let me know in advance if your ever doing Laps and need company. I also try to make it out to the Wed rides when I can.

NightFell

Welcome! I actually ride Lew'mo around 6-630 on the norm, feel free to let me know in advance if your ever doing Laps and need company. I also try to make it out to the Wed rides when I can.

That would be great! I'll get in touch when I start hitting the trails- I'd be game for other evenings during the week as well :)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Welcome. I agree with what the others said regarding tourne and Lewis Morris. You would probably do well with a fat bike since you are used to riding a horse. Other types of bikes may not feel substantial enough. This is only my opinion of course. Enjoy.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
every time i see this thread title, i think Hellofa Hangover.

See ya out there, and limited post ride beverages...

NightFell

Welcome. I agree with what the others said regarding tourne and Lewis Morris. You would probably do well with a fat bike since you are used to riding a horse. Other types of bikes may not feel substantial enough. This is only my opinion of course. Enjoy.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind as well!

every time i see this thread title, i think Hellofa Hangover.

See ya out there, and limited post ride beverages...

Haha well fortunately (or unfortunately?) I do not partake in the latter ;)

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's

i have the same problem... i like to hop on the wednesday rides but often miss it because of NJ transit and mo-town traffic... i live in morristown so if you ever need a riding buddy, i'm game. :)

PaulP

Hi KnightFell,

I work right here in Whippany right off route 10/Jefferson . I'm just getting back into this after a long layoff and am looking for people to ride with!

By the way.... I'm in the full suspension camp as far as bikes go. With the technology we have these things really do work great! Specialized is my bike of choice but many really nice rides, but no matter the brand DONT make the mistake I made once upon a time and get into a bike too big for you! Bought a med frame bike cause got a great deal on it! Wrong thing to do.....when I finally stopped trying to "make it fit" and got a small frame was like night and day!!! From what u say it sounds like def a small for you but I would check bike shops for fit!

If you like u are welcome to try mine .... It's a small frame specialized stump jumper FSR 29. The bigger wheels were not hard to get used to at all for me but again.... It's personal choice. I can tell ya they roll over everything! Lol! Anyway, good luck with whatever u end up with!

PaulP

Top Bottom