Hello from Essex County

C

CultureCouture

Hello everyone. So I'm totally new to every aspect of biking whatsoever. After 2 bunionectomies from years of running, soccer, and high heels, my podiatrist suggested cycling. I signed up for a sprint triathlon, then a week before the race I bought a Cannondale Badboy Ultra, which isn't even a racing bike at all, but, oh well, it was fine. Soccer season was in full swing again and I kind of drifted away from biking, so I signed up for the Mountain Man biathlon. I MBed a few days before the race and loved it, though I had no idea what I was doing, and single track made me bleed.

Last week, Cyclopath was sweet enough to take me out to jungle habitat where she showed me some skills, and I fell a bunch of times. Thankfully I'm used to getting beat up and bruised from soccer.

I was Little Red Riding Hood in the MM biathlon- everyone was so nice, and I really had a blast! Unfortunately I don't have many friends that ride, so message me if you're also a beginner and interested in exploring, and possibly bleeding all over, the various trails NJ has to offer. I'm so glad I joined this site.

ellbiddy

Hah, funny outfit for sure. I got pretty lame and bummed out of that bi. All I hear is great stories from it.

You'll notice the whole mountain biking community is full of real cool folks willing to lend a hand, tube, and sometimes even a bike if you ask nice enough. Very very few sour apples, especially on this site. I don't think I've met someone who I hadn't really got along with here yet, I mean after all we're into the same stuff :cool:. Sounds cool that you got to ride with some folks already, it took me a while to get assimilated to regular group riding I was pretty much solo 99% of the time until not too long ago (group trip to Diablo tomorrow :getsome:, for which I should really get some more rest) and it's really a lot more fun. Anywho i should sleep :drooling:, you'll find tons of people post up rides here so finding some new riding buddies won't be hard. My one piece of advice is to diversify your trail selection, I used to stay local and then I started moving further and further out and it has made me a much better rider. Stick with it, you'll become an addict and soon love your bikes more than things that breathe :rofl:

ellbiddy

Woot, cookey daylight savings time....seems like I made my post before yours! :rofl: They call me....Connor...John Connor

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
welcome. your costume at the mountain man ruled.

look out for ringwood rides posted here -- just 40 min north of you.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
CultureCouture

Don't sell yourself short, you picked it all up pretty darned quick.
Technically, you only fell a few times. A bunch implies many more than three;). And to think it was at the Jungle under heavy leaf cover... pretty impresve.:D

C

CultureCouture

do you own that shop in montclair?

my friend loves that shop and always drags me in

I do! However I'm a little resentful that your friend has to 'drag' you in.

(Kidding!) See, now the next time you're at the store, we can talk about cool stuff.

N

njdre

Faker!

You claim you're a newb but you have never even let the trail draw first blood!!! LOL! You have to become one with the trail!

C

CultureCouture

You claim you're a newb but you have never even let the trail draw first blood!!! LOL! You have to become one with the trail!

See, that's what you get when you wear those booty hot shorts to ride in. They were so tight and small, I don't even know how you got them on. I know you want to show off your legs and all, but it makes falling so much worse.

N

njdre

Omg!

LOL! OMG, I had no idea you were checking me out like that! Next time take a picture, it'll last longer! No wonder you two were asking me to ride ahead!

Oh, and Cyclo, its not worth it unless the "all" is involved!

C

CultureCouture

LOL! OMG, I had no idea you were checking me out like that! Next time take a picture, it'll last longer! No wonder you two were asking me to ride ahead!

Oh, and Cyclo, its not worth it unless the "all" is involved!

Can I borrow 10 bucks.

ellbiddy

Hmm, so you claim your new but you own a shop...my head is going to explode! I've been toying with the idea of building a shed-shop in my yard, something like 12x16 foot space to hide all the bikes I buy, sadly zoning permits in this township are awful. So I have them scattered throughout the house in various places so you can't count all of them at any point in time :rofl: I envy your bike-shop-ed-ness

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Hmm, so you claim your new but you own a shop...my head is going to explode! I've been toying with the idea of building a shed-shop in my yard, something like 12x16 foot space to hide all the bikes I buy, sadly zoning permits in this township are awful. So I have them scattered throughout the house in various places so you can't count all of them at any point in time :rofl: I envy your bike-shop-ed-ness

ellbiddy, put down that beer and re-read...

do you own that shop in montclair?
my friend loves that shop and always drags me in
well you dont have a whole lot for guys in there, but you do however play great music

CultureCouture.... Couture= fashion, clothes... that's why CC was so observant of Dre's shorts... It was the fashion.;)

ellbiddy

*slowly put down beer as well as head in shame*

Edit: In my defense, no one said it wasn't a bike shop :p , I just thought not a lot of guys go to that one specific shop...

Btw stinks I can't make your ringwood ride, I've been trying to explore northern jersey more and more. Just keep posting them up, I'm always looking for slower paced group rides, maybe one day I won't be a slow poke RV should help change that :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom