hello from bergen county

J

JD!

Looking for New Bike

Was wondering if anyone can help guide me with purhchasing a full suspension. Pretty much looking for something entry level but quality

Thanks

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Was wondering if anyone can help guide me with purhchasing a full suspension. Pretty much looking for something entry level but quality

Thanks

JD - You're in Ramsey? Drive 5 minutes down Rt 17 to Campmor and the guys will point you in the right direction. There's lots of other great bike shops in the area too. Try not to get wrapped up in brands -- fit is most important, and like many things the more you spend the better stuff you get. Brand new you pretty much need $1400 for a full-suss. 2 grand gets you better components, and 3 grand very good components. Any less than $1400 and I'd look on eBay and MTBR classifieds for a "I got this for my girlfriend but she never rode it" special.

Also consider reading through the MTBR forums -- there's good info there if you can wade through the BS. Magazines do lots of shootouts too -- Bike, Dirt, Dirt Rag, MBA. But remember to ride before you purchase. Avoid an online bike for your first dualie. Buy local! Good luck!

J

JD!

I've been looking for a while and usually get lost in the bike lingo. So 1400 should get me something decent.

Thanks for the information

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've been looking for a while and usually get lost in the bike lingo. So 1400 should get me something decent.

Thanks for the information

Check the manufacturer's web sites. Most show the MSRP for their complete bikes:
http://www.konaworld.com/08_four_w.htm

If they don't, just google the model number and you should find prices. But I'd recommend restricting your choices to those found in all the local shops, which would still probably give you 10 brands to choose from. Campmor has Kona, Iron Horse and Fuji, Piermont has Cannondale and Scott, Cyclesport has Specialized, Trek and C-dale, Westwood has Giant, etc. Call the joints and let em know your budget and what you're looking for. Also if this is for trails, stay around 4-5 inches of travel. If you want to go for jumps and drops, try 6 inches of travel, but keep in mind at 1500 bucks a 6 inch travel bike is likely to weigh 33 pounds or more, which is harder to lug around for a 2 or 3-hr ride. When you've ridden a bike you like and the price is right, nab it, or come back here and ask folks what they think of it.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
JD go to Allendale Cycle, it is right on Franklin Tpk., pretty close to Ramsey.
John's a good guy, he can hook you up.

He carries Jamis & Giant...and I think Haro.

J

JD!

That's funny you say that. I just dropped my bike there on friday for a cleaning.
Anyone from ramsey here?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I used to live in Mahwah then in Ramsey after I got married and I work in Waldwick.
I miss Bergen County. :(

Top Bottom