helicoil ok for derailleur hanger

Zudnik

Yeah, so I'm a complete idiot but it's people like me that set the bar really low for the rest of ya lol.

So went to mount my new rear mech and of course was in a rush. You guessed it. I cross threaded it enough that even using a tap to clean it out ain't gonna work. It's a Cube bike, so I need to order a near hanger (and spare) but they are 100% out of stock. Think a helicoil would work? I know the thread is a M10 x 1.0. I just shouldn't have rushed.

02camaro

at this point you are screwed if you dont and you might not be screwed if you do. what do you have to loose? try it, are you worried you will botch the install? ive only ever put heli coils in blind holes so im not sure how they will work on through holes. i would say put red loctite and allow for proper cure time on the coil before going at it with the derailleur.

lettuce know how it goes

Karate Monkey

at this point you are screwed if you dont and you might not be screwed if you do. what do you have to loose? try it, are you worried you will botch the install? ive only ever put heli coils in blind holes so im not sure how they will work on through holes. i would say put red loctite and allow for proper cure time on the coil before going at it with the derailleur.

lettuce know how it goes

That. Clean both parts with acetone, install the helicoil with red loctite. After cure, break the tang and cut/file flush.

You can also get a dropout-saver from Wheels Manufacturing. Technically requires a cone wrench to install, but it could be bonded in, too.

Top Bottom