Heckle-cation the other months of the year.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
This is not balance. It's transference of obsession.
first of all, you throwin' too many big words at me, and because I don't understand them, I'm gonna take 'em as disrespect. watch your mouth

i guess the balance of all on cx, 25+ races, training, UCI races, nothing else

versus

5-10 races that are regular old A races, local, awesome winter hiking gainz can be had

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
This is not balance. It's transference of obsession.
This^

But I’ve found ways to transfer my obsessions which allow me to spend time with a person whom I’ve identified as someone I really like.

Hiking and climbing is something Maureen is also into. I built her up a Wraith last year so hopefully we’ll share some cool road miles this year, too.

@pooriggy I had to move without much notice in October which kinda just detonated my CX season which as it turned out was kinda a stick house supporting a fragile vail of well being. I ended up facing some things about myself I’ve bottled up over the years and actually figured a couple things out. It took dumping bikes for a little while to be able to address all of that.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
^Magic and Joy were both named on opposite day.
Danny Partridge.gif

The Heckler

Well, sorta?

I started lurking around here 10 years ago and since I've been pushing pedals around a bit I thought I would check in to the 'ol blog. HOW IS EVERYONE?! Well I hope!

No, cross is NOT coming. Who knows if it's coming for anyone.

CORONA VIRUS!
Yeah so the ski mountains closed early, the climbing gym closed, Mohonk & Power Lines climbing areas closed. Tuckerman's closed, society and the government said to recreate locally which means no hiking out of state and were were allowed outside for a walk alone or with members of your household.

CURVE BALL!!
So, against all odds I picked up my bike again. I'm not talking about "of hey yeah it sure was nice to ride my bike 4 times," something triggered in my brain and all of my physical energy went into riding. I put up my biggest April and May by hours EVER.

EVER.

I spent a bunch of time getting my bikes back in shape which was super fun. I still remember how to turn a wrench!

Projects.
Projects are taking the form of long rides and adventure rides. I'm required to use 50% of my PTO by the end of the month so I started putting in a long ride pretty much every week. I think I've done 3 centuries and a few more pretty high mileage rips. Almost all self sustained. I've been close to blowing up and stopped for pizza... Even started carrying a Sawyer Squeeze water filter, GAME CHANGER! Top tube bag and fast wheels on the Raleigh. FUN, but maybe not totally necessary.
1591877420508.png

Early ride projects were based on getting out to new zones or places I've barely been. I'm still planning a long ride south, I've gone North and North West. Eff East, who would want to ride headfirst into COVID? 2020 Heatmap has all of the classics and some new rippers! Definitely have some more zones to explore.
1591877733864.png

Adventure Project
I dusted off the Wraith and mounted some 38c Gravel Kings Tubeless to tackle my most ignorant ride project to date. The CatsKill 100 took over a month of planning and was hatched as a 2 day bike packing trip using all 4 of the Primitive Bicycle Corridors in the Catskills. The fug is that? I did a lot of research on bikes in the Catskills. General outline is totally Kosher on Wild Forest land unless marked otherwise, but definitely a no-go in Wilderness. There are 4 trails however which have history of bicycle use through Wilderness that have been designated as allowing bicycle use. EMPHASIS ON PRIMITIVE!

Rough locations of Diamond Notch, Dutcher Hollow, Overlook Turnpike and Mink Hollow starting at 9:00 and running clockwise.
1591878066179.png

The possibilities for rides using these primitive corridors open up so many options and adventures. There is however near zero beta existing, and I remembered the trails I've been on as buffed out. LOL YEAH FOR HIKING MAYBE, not for CX bikes. As you can probably tell we bailed on two of the corridors because it was getting late and VERY hot. But still, hiking and mountain biking on CX bikes and riding amazing Catskill roads made for a memorable experience. I'm planning on going back to finish on a mountain bike to see how the experience compares. Hindsight I think my gear setup should look like 1X 30T front, 11-36 clutched rear. So much climbing and you can only push those fat tires so fast anyway. MAYBE 22-39 mountain cranks on a friction shifter 11-32 rear. That would be a fun special build. Bummer my XX cranks are BB30 and not GXP ?

1591878369576.png

I think the next big dumb project is in the works. More on that later. Road bike, BIG DAY, test of will kinda project.

MAUREEN
I put my Chris King Grail wheels on Moe's Wraith with 25c tires. She's joined me on a bunch of rides and even enjoyed a couple of them! It was nice to share bikes a bit with here, now that things are opening up a bit she's a little less interested in riding though.

Smiles for proof:
1591878589486.png

I'm sure I'll probably start dialing back hours soon but it's really been enjoyable to be on the bike again. It's made Quarantine manageable, and has allowed me to eat SO MANY BURRITOS and ALL OF THE CHEESE and actually loose weight. BOOYA!

Heckler out!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Well, sorta?

I started lurking around here 10 years ago and since I've been pushing pedals around a bit I thought I would check in to the 'ol blog. HOW IS EVERYONE?! Well I hope!

No, cross is NOT coming. Who knows if it's coming for anyone.

CORONA VIRUS!
Yeah so the ski mountains closed early, the climbing gym closed, Mohonk & Power Lines climbing areas closed. Tuckerman's closed, society and the government said to recreate locally which means no hiking out of state and were were allowed outside for a walk alone or with members of your household.

CURVE BALL!!
So, against all odds I picked up my bike again. I'm not talking about "of hey yeah it sure was nice to ride my bike 4 times," something triggered in my brain and all of my physical energy went into riding. I put up my biggest April and May by hours EVER.

EVER.

I spent a bunch of time getting my bikes back in shape which was super fun. I still remember how to turn a wrench!

Projects.
Projects are taking the form of long rides and adventure rides. I'm required to use 50% of my PTO by the end of the month so I started putting in a long ride pretty much every week. I think I've done 3 centuries and a few more pretty high mileage rips. Almost all self sustained. I've been close to blowing up and stopped for pizza... Even started carrying a Sawyer Squeeze water filter, GAME CHANGER! Top tube bag and fast wheels on the Raleigh. FUN, but maybe not totally necessary.
View attachment 131351

Early ride projects were based on getting out to new zones or places I've barely been. I'm still planning a long ride south, I've gone North and North West. Eff East, who would want to ride headfirst into COVID? 2020 Heatmap has all of the classics and some new rippers! Definitely have some more zones to explore.
View attachment 131352

Adventure Project
I dusted off the Wraith and mounted some 38c Gravel Kings Tubeless to tackle my most ignorant ride project to date. The CatsKill 100 took over a month of planning and was hatched as a 2 day bike packing trip using all 4 of the Primitive Bicycle Corridors in the Catskills. The fug is that? I did a lot of research on bikes in the Catskills. General outline is totally Kosher on Wild Forest land unless marked otherwise, but definitely a no-go in Wilderness. There are 4 trails however which have history of bicycle use through Wilderness that have been designated as allowing bicycle use. EMPHASIS ON PRIMITIVE!

Rough locations of Diamond Notch, Dutcher Hollow, Overlook Turnpike and Mink Hollow starting at 9:00 and running clockwise.
View attachment 131353

The possibilities for rides using these primitive corridors open up so many options and adventures. There is however near zero beta existing, and I remembered the trails I've been on as buffed out. LOL YEAH FOR HIKING MAYBE, not for CX bikes. As you can probably tell we bailed on two of the corridors because it was getting late and VERY hot. But still, hiking and mountain biking on CX bikes and riding amazing Catskill roads made for a memorable experience. I'm planning on going back to finish on a mountain bike to see how the experience compares. Hindsight I think my gear setup should look like 1X 30T front, 11-36 clutched rear. So much climbing and you can only push those fat tires so fast anyway. MAYBE 22-39 mountain cranks on a friction shifter 11-32 rear. That would be a fun special build. Bummer my XX cranks are BB30 and not GXP ?

View attachment 131356

I think the next big dumb project is in the works. More on that later. Road bike, BIG DAY, test of will kinda project.

MAUREEN
I put my Chris King Grail wheels on Moe's Wraith with 25c tires. She's joined me on a bunch of rides and even enjoyed a couple of them! It was nice to share bikes a bit with here, now that things are opening up a bit she's a little less interested in riding though.

Smiles for proof:
View attachment 131357

I'm sure I'll probably start dialing back hours soon but it's really been enjoyable to be on the bike again. It's made Quarantine manageable, and has allowed me to eat SO MANY BURRITOS and ALL OF THE CHEESE and actually loose weight. BOOYA!

Heckler out!

Good to see the happies.
Burrito pics on IG are killer

The Heckler

Do you own a MTB or just roadie?
I'M GOING TO MOUNTAIN BIKE THIS WEEKEND! It's honestly been 2 years since my last mountain ride if you don't include the CX bike thrashing from last weekend.

I re-Stans'd last year though so I should be good, right?

@Pearl the year must be about 2015 based off everything I own. Actually, my new road frameset is modern compared to the 2011 Raleigh.. ITS A 2013!!

Did you know they make 12 speed road drive trains now? AND SRAM SELLS A $450 10-52 RAINBOW COLORED CASSETTE!?

The Heckler

HELLO BIKE FAM!

This is totally bike un-related, but also maybe skiing is the best winter cross training sport their is for bikes!

ANYWAY Zach and I came up with a silly project, we've started a "ski team" and are slinging T-Shirts, long sleeve pocket T's and crew neck sweatshirts of the same design, as well as a couple silly sticker designs we came up with. We're hosting our shop on Big-Cartel, its all tied to paypal and we'll be running our pre-order for two more days, closing tomorrow at midnight. We anticipate orders to ship late October 2021.

Anyway, check this out, this is one of my "post bicycle life" projects and it's been a blast creating it.

https://fftydskiclub.bigcartel.com/

IG: FFTYD.SKI.CLUB
3.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What do I get with this membership? Discounted lift tickets? Free adult beverges?

Top Bottom