Heckle-cation the other months of the year.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If they are cage free they are eating anything they can find. You have no idea what wanders or falls into their farm and the chickens eat. A rabid bat could fly into their fence and they eat it. Their diet is completely uncontrolled when you let them out. This is the danger of cage free. You don't know what's in the soil. They eat straight up dirt all day. They eat anything that even looks like food and shit it out later.
Pesticide covered moths and grasshoppers are part of cage free diets. Is this better somehow?

vs eggs full of anti-biotics and hormones? It's a tough choice.

gtluke

The Moped
Chickens never get hormones. They don't require it. Cows do. They sometimes get antibiotics but then again we all do and we take them directly. Hell I even wash my hands with antibiotic soap sometimes.

gtluke

The Moped
The bugs fly around getting covered in pesticides eating cow shit. Chickens eat the bugs. Free range eggs, might as well eat chemical poop.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chickens are meant to run and shit around everywhere. Have you ever seen those cage kept farms, you have to wear a hasmat suit to get in because otherwise animals will catch some disease from you and die.

rick81721

Lothar
Only animals that are fda approved to receive growth hormones are beef cattle and sheep. And fyi any animal meat contains hormones whether artificially added or not

gtluke

The Moped
So jimmy is okay with free range eggs because they don't care if the chickens get sick and you eat sick chicken eggs? Makes sense.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Learning a lot about chickens and Luke!

Sorry for the lack of update, I'm out of data.

AS IT WENT:
Rolled up to the turnaround in Chester around 9:45. The Marty's tent was up with dual propane heaters and a huge pot of chicken noodle soup on. Conditions at the turnaround were cold and icey. A light flurry became a steady snot for the first 10 riders before it finally disapated and teh sun broke through. The final stretch of field between the woods and the parking lot made me believe the entire race must have been miserable. Everyone coming through was foot down every 20 feet as they tried to navigate narrow rut through the icy snow pack.

First one in was Cody with a 3 minute split for Jesse and another 3 minute split for a fellow named John.

I stayed until around 11:30. In that time we had a couple people drop out and on guy come in with a separated shoulder.

I don't know the finishing order but I will try and get some photos up tonight or tomorrow.

gtluke

The Moped
what are you getting the film developed? yeesh. I had my pictures up while the leaders will still on course ;)

gtluke

The Moped
They don't though!
There's no need for it.
Chickens and cows are totally different. A baby chick is worth about a dollar, and costs about $2 worth of food to bring to full size. If you need more chicken meat, grow a 2nd chicken. Besides meat chickens are too large for their skeleton anyway, they really can't be grown any bigger or faster.
Cows on the other hand are worth/cost 100 times this. You protect that cow with your life, cause it could be your livelyhood. If you lose a cow it's a big deal. If you can get that cow to grow larger/faster it's worth a lot more because it'll cost a lot less to get to market size.
They probably use hormones to get the cows to milk too. Your wife doesn't milk just because you ask her to, you have to have the right body chemistry to do it, the hormones from pregnancy?! Estrogen.
You can induce hormones created by the body, or you can just put them there. What's the difference?
These aren't natural creatures, stop applying natural "rules" to them. they can't survive without us, we have done this all to them.
You want natural meat? Go hit a deer with your car and cut it up. Cows, chickens, pigs, we created those, you can't apply "natural" anything to them, they aren't natural to begin with.

The Kalmyk

I just wanted to evoke a more elaborate explanation.:D

My best friend would argue this point with you but not me. As a food scientist with Wynstar, back in the day he got a chicken from a friend that worked at some second rate farm in North Carolina or some shit. He kept it in a cage in his back yard as an experiment and the thing ballooned to 40lbs (not exact). Eventually the legs broke from trying to walk and carry the weight. Anyway, who really knows the truth of all this. White eggs taste no different than organic brown eggs imo. Carry on.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
Yeah you can't let meat chickens grow past 18 months, they aren't supposed to live that long and they get REALLY f'd up if you do. There are a ton of nightmare stories of people who "rescue" these chickens and the disaster that follows as they try to get it to live out it's life.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Yeah you can't let meat chickens grow past 18 months, they aren't supposed to live that long and they get REALLY f'd up if you do. There are a ton of nightmare stories of people who "rescue" these chickens and the disaster that follows as they try to get it to live out it's life.

please explain in further detail

rick81721

Lothar
There are a ton of nightmare stories of people who "rescue" these chickens and the disaster that follows as they try to get it to live out it's life.

Reminds me of the ALF geniuses that attempted to "save" 10,000 + pheasant and quail from Griggstown farm by releasing them into the wild where they were slaughtered by cars and predators

gtluke

The Moped
we've created these meat chickens to grow so fast and so large and to be harvested at 18 weeks. shit I said months before. It's 18 weeks for a slow chicken. 10 weeks for a fast chicken.
After that they continue to grow, the meat gets shittier and eventually the weight of the chicken gets so heavy that it can't walk, and then it's legs break from the load, and it dies a terrible death.
meat chickens are totally different than egg chickens. egg chickens are good for about 2 years and then their egg laying falls off.

Top Bottom