Heart Rate Zones

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
  1. What sports do you like for a "heart rate work-out"?
  2. What zones, or heart rates, do you like to be in?
Last nite I ran 1 hour around the track, as well as up and down the bleachers

Distance (mi ) 4.44
Moving Speed (mph) 4.5 avg. 10.2 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +618 / -557

although, i run slower than molasses, i was somewhat happy with the results of my heart rate.

Heart Rate Data
---------------- Avg Low High
Heart Rate (%max) 86 57 97
Heart Rate (bpm) 158 105 179

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/heart-rate/articles/daveiron.htm
Once I had determined my appropriate MHR and using the following as a guide, I could use the following percentages for my training program. This meant that I would be training with a heart rate of somewhere between 113 and 145.

Recovery, Long or Easy Runs.. .......................................65%-75%
Tempo runs....................... .........................................87%-92%
Interval Repeats (shorter bursts of speed during your run)..95%-100%

i don't use 220-age for the max. arnie baker says, "use your max for the year", that's your max.

so mine is 185, well above 220-age [220-45) s/b 175 bpm

that being said, i find my heart rate, higher when running, then in other sports, in fact, when i was using my polar, the thing was set for target h.r. for cycling, kept beeping when i was running.

sone folks like the thrill of a jumb, or going really fast to get the ticker going,

i like to get a good aerobic work-out, as last night's 1 hour track run, i was 80% or better in 51 minutes of 60!

jimjo

1. What sports do you like for a "heart rate work-out"?

You can have a heart rate work out in any sport. The type of workout should determine your heart rate zone. ie long endurance vs. intervals vs base milage etc.
  2. What zones, or heart rates, do you like to be in?

it depends on the type of work out im trying to acheive relative to the training program, time of year, how close I am to a race etc.

Last nite I ran 1 hour around the track, as well as up and down the bleachers

although, i run slower than molasses, i was somewhat happy with the results of my heart rate.

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/heart-rate/articles/daveiron.htm

i don't use 220-age for the max. arnie baker says, "use your max for the year", that's your max.

thats not really accurate either. ideally it would be your Vo2 max/ Lactic threshold or AT which is a much better way of determining your zones. (which by the way can change based on your conditioning) age does not really correspond truly for a well trained athlete. its more like a rule of thumb.

so mine is 185, well above 220-age [220-45) s/b 175 bpm

that being said, i find my heart rate, higher when running, then in other sports, in fact, when i was using my polar, the thing was set for target h.r. for cycling, kept beeping when i was running.

sone folks like the thrill of a jumb, or going really fast to get the ticker going,

i like to get a good aerobic work-out, as last night's 1 hour track run, i was 80% or better in 51 minutes of 60!

mmmmmmm

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Vo2 max/ Lactic threshold or AT
i don't use any of these, or r.p.e. or watts

i like heart rate, cause its inepensive. the r.p.e. i don't like since i am a bad judge of my own work-outs

my main problem with heart-rate, if i am really in shape, couldn't i go faster, do more with-out raising my heart rate?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i don't use any of these, or r.p.e. or watts

i like heart rate, cause its inepensive. the r.p.e. i don't like since i am a bad judge of my own work-outs

my main problem with heart-rate, if i am really in shape, couldn't i go faster, do more with-out raising my heart rate?

Which is why the 220-age thing for max is just an estimate based on some averages.

If you *really* want to know what your max, AT, etc. is, the only way is to get a VO2 max test done...all of that is determined.

In the early 90's when I was racing I worked for a company that designed/manufactures VO2 max testing equipment. It was great; I could run a test on myself whenever I wanted.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
couldn't i go faster, do more with-out raising my heart rate?

By using 85% and higher of your heart rate by doing intervals you will be able to race in the red zone longer without burning out. Your body will get used to the lactic acid build up that causes bonking.
Workouts at the aerobic level will improve your general fitness but its the interval training that wins races. Be sure to allow proper rest after interval training.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
aerobic vs. anaerobic

By using 85% and higher of your heart rate by doing intervals you will be able to race in the red zone longer without burning out. Your body will get used to the lactic acid build up that causes bonking.
Workouts at the aerobic level will improve your general fitness but its the interval training that wins races. Be sure to allow proper rest after interval training.
Aerobic: The ability to use oxygen for energy production.

This I get, the VO2 will help me figure it out.

However

Anaerobic: The ability to produce work without oxygen. How can the VO2 help this out?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Aerobic: The ability to use oxygen for energy production.

This I get, the VO2 will help me figure it out.

However

Anaerobic: The ability to produce work without oxygen. How can the VO2 help this out?

VO2 max testing itself is a bench mark of cardiovascular or overall fitness. Really, your number relative to previous test is what is important here. It is a progress measure. Hell, if your fitness doesn't change and you loose weight your VO2 max goes up.

Where the testing helps is on your way to hitting your VO2 max, your AT can be determined...and at what watts (if your on a cycle ergometer). If memory serves, it is the point in which the rate of increase of CO2 production passes the rate of increase of O2 consumption...or something like that...it's been 15 years and my memory is crap.

In short, it is all the other data that is determined during a VO2 max test that is useful, I think. Other than that, it is just a progress indicator.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
VO2 max testing itself is a bench mark of cardiovascular or overall fitness. Really, your number relative to previous test is what is important here.
That's good to know, especially the fact that one test is useless.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
maybe if i meet my deductible, i can get the vo2 test. after i broke my colar bone last year, a company wanted to do some p.t., yet my deductable was not met

that being said, its a new year, and maybe its a good time to shop around for a vo2 test. i imagine they cost a couple of hundred buks. also, i heard some cycling clubs give you one per year, but those clubs generally have high yearly dues, and are more suited for serious racers, rather than folks that just try and train to stay in shape.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
maybe if i meet my deductible, i can get the vo2 test. after i broke my colar bone last year, a company wanted to do some p.t., yet my deductable was not met

that being said, its a new year, and maybe its a good time to shop around for a vo2 test. i imagine they cost a couple of hundred buks. also, i heard some cycling clubs give you one per year, but those clubs generally have high yearly dues, and are more suited for serious racers, rather than folks that just try and train to stay in shape.

No idea how much they cost. My roadie team way-back-when got 5 free tests a season...it was the sponsorship deal I worked out with my bosses; free tests for everybody on the team and we'll put the company logo on each shoulder of our jerseys. A grand deal it was :D

jimjo

its been a while since ive trained hard enough to require this but if my memory serves me correct, you can figure out your AT (within reason) without the Vo2 max test by doing some controlled intervals ie on a trainer up the same hill a few times etc. it is essentially the point where your breathing goes from rapid to heavily labored. over an extened workout you can figure this out by changing your pace and carefully monitoring your heartrate to see where your breathing changes.

that is the real critical point once you have that.. you can pretty much guesstimate where the the other zones are.....

BTW your Vo2 max is at the point where you want to puke.

if you really want a work out start doing fartlek training on your running days your endurance will go through the roof.

there used to be a sports training in somerville that did them for like 300-400 bucks

Attachments

• 300px-Exercise_zones.jpg
    300px-Exercise_zones.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 5

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
its been a while since ive trained hard enough to require this but if my memory serves me correct, you can figure out your AT (within reason) without the Vo2 max test by doing some controlled intervals ie on a trainer up the same hill a few times etc. it is essentially the point where your breathing goes from rapid to heavily labored. over an extened workout you can figure this out by changing your pace and carefully monitoring your heartrate to see where your breathing changes.

that is the real critical point once you have that.. you can pretty much guesstimate where the the other zones are.....

BTW your Vo2 max is at the point where you want to puke.

if you really want a work out start doing fartlek training on your running days your endurance will go through the roof.

there used to be a sports training in somerville that did them for like 300-400 bucks

True, Friel's book has some ways to do this. But they're still rough...but probably good enough for us mortals.

jimjo

the old polar HR monitors had a function they called Vo2 max and i would use that as a rough guide... to target my zones...

the reality was that i was never that regimented in my training, i would track it so i could monitor progress but if i was out on a ride having fun my "training zones" would usually go out the window i always figured that no matter what i was training for that there was no point if i wasnt enjoying myself.

the breathing thing @ a specific heartrate, i discovered kind of by accident.i was riding alpe d'huez (no BS) and wearing my monitor and as i was suffering, id be going along feeling ok @ 178-180bpm and as soon as i hit 181 i was gasping for breath and just trying find a way to get it back down the best part was when i got to the top i looked at my wife forgot the pain and said "i want to do that again!"

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
i was riding alpe d'huez (no BS) and wearing my monitor and as i was suffering, id be going along feeling ok @ 178-180bpm and as soon as i hit 181 i was gasping for breath
maybe the altitude got to you, although i max out at around 180, motion based claims i reached 185 this past year

since we don't have that road here in jersey, what roads do you cycle on, last year i was going glen & airmont rd in the mornings til i was graciously uninvited, they only list the friday rides now, and there usually slower since most folks save up for some action on the week end

i am looking to do some hill training in the mornings, maybe around ft. lee rd and or edgewater rds., if i had time, i would do henry hudson drive

jimjo

no the altitude would have been an entirely different result

where do you live?

you dont need to do it over the course of an hour the key ingredient is "sustained effort"

so a flat TT could work as well

you could do it on your trainer in a controlled environment

the biggest factor IMHO is to know your body... all of this amounts to
bat s!@t if you don't listen to your body. overtraining is huge recovery days even more important eat sleep ... keeping track of all of this just helps you listen a little better and know how you were feeling when

BTW make sure your having fun and working towards goals so you can time when you peak

use your actual max of 185.... then

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
use your actual max of 185.... then
okay, so by the conventional formula, i am 35 years old

i was enoying work-outs on the trainer, and sweating buckets, until my neighbor complained to the super, although i am thinking about setting the trainer in the storage room

someone said you can reach 200 b.p.m. sprinting, but i find it hard to believe, also, the garmin is not compatible with the trainer and motionbased, the foreunner 405 looks sweet but too many complaints from folks who have them, polar cs series looks sweet, but too pricey

i currently live in bergen county but am am looking to move someday, as i am native new york guy, lives/works in jersey

jimjo

ride west go through hawthorne then up through ringwood... mucho climbing

max heartrate is based on the individual

get a double thick yoga mat and put it underneath

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
ride west go through hawthorne then up through
i cycle that way often, in fact my tri club, the standard route is from ridgewood up rea ave ext hawthorne to oakland

i also like to cycle up though wanaque into harriman, i saw on moton based someone did mtb from wanaque, all the way up through ringwood, but have not done that myself

i am not sure of my approach for the upcoming season, but it will be triathlon based, with lots of emphasis on swim, run, bike, weights, etc

Top Bottom