Heart Rate Monitors

BLH2

Shop: Eurocycle
Shop Keep
I am looking to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor. I really like the idea of the ones that you are able to add a Speed sensor and Cadence. Is there any down falls to these wireless systems? How acurate are they? Do they always work? What models do you guys and gals recommend?

I like the Suunto t4 and t6, and the Polar 725

Shaggz

A strong 7
I have been using this one:

http://www.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f6.asp

I have nothing else to compare it to, but it allows you to set 4 heart zones, counts calories and amount of time in each zone, among other features. The menus are intuitive. Only nit to pick is that the set button is sensitive, but there is a lock feature so you don't accidentally start/stop mid workout. Data can be downloaded to PC, via pc sound input.

ArmyOfNone

So if you were going to spend that much loot on a HR monitor, i would STRONGLY recommend the Garmin Edge 305. You get everything your looking for and GPS.

G

GeoMan

That would be us! Thanks for the referral, much of our business is word of mouth.

So if you were going to spend that much loot on a HR monitor, i would STRONGLY recommend the Garmin Edge 305. You get everything your looking for and GPS.

We've sold over 3,000 Edge 305's and have had only a single return - from a gent who received it as a Christmas present and didn't want it. That is a pretty good track record for a technology product!

I'm happy to help anyone anytime.

Thanks!

D

DANSPANK

The edge 305 is bloody cool. Much more than just recording speed and basic crap. Go for it, man!

Shaggz

A strong 7
After re-reading BLH's post and what he is looking for, I don't believe the 305 will allow you to use the cadence and HR monitor at the same time. Not a big deal when MTB'ing, but may become more of an issue on training road rides.

Has anyone "truthed" the garmin to cyclocomputer data? I am curios about what, if any, differential there is between the two.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where'd you get the idea that you can't use HR and cadence at the same time?

The Garmin is an certainly not entirely accurate. I've had it report my current speed wildly before. I mean once I was going 18.5, just pinned to 18.5, and the Garmin was reading up to 19 and down to 16.2. Just jumping all over. Sometimes it overstates my speed, sometimes under.

ArmyOfNone

Not sure where you heard that as well. That would kinda defeat the purpose.

I seem to get fairly consistent numbers. I have a bike computer and the 205 on my road bike. They differ sometimes by from what i have seen, no more that .5 mph. The distance and avg also seem to be pretty on as well.

I love the damn thing!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The overall numbers do come out close enough, and I should add that I really like my 205 (no HR, no cadence) a lot. This morning I mapped out 2 possible road rides for this weekend. I can load them up on the GPS and do either of them when I get on the bike tomorrow. If you're getting an HRM and willing to spend the bread, the 305 seems a really good choice. If you tire of HR and cadence training you still have the cool little toy that makes riding that much more fun.

G

GeoMan

After re-reading BLH's post and what he is looking for, I don't believe the 305 will allow you to use the cadence and HR monitor at the same time. Not a big deal when MTB'ing, but may become more of an issue on training road rides.

Has anyone "truthed" the garmin to cyclocomputer data? I am curios about what, if any, differential there is between the two.

Garmin's firmware updates are always improving the accuracy of the Edge. When I bought my first Edge for my personal use the unit software version was 2.3. Garmin is now well into the 3's. I've watched my calorie count change over the last 18 months for the same ride and same settings on the Edge - assuming it is the unit software upgrades. They are always honing their algorithms.

As everyone has chimed in, the cadence sensor and heart rate monitor work perfectly together on the Edge. You can display up to 8 different measurements on the same screen at the same time. Watch where you are going - keep your eyes on the trail! It can get terribly interesting looking at the darn thing and I, for one, have had to really discipline myself when riding.

Enjoy!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Geo:

How does the speed sensor "work". Does it automatically kick in when GPS signal diminishes or is not present?

BTW, thanks for hopping on board. I have read some of your stuff on mtbr.

G

GeoMan

The GPS is the primary source of information unless the unit "needs" the speed sensor. For instance, I bought a new bike last fall and didn't install the sensor for a couple of months. I immediately noticed that it took a few minutes for the Edge to start displaying speed after I left my garage. The speed sensor is relied upon when the unit can't obtain reliable GPS data. The cadence sensor, on the other hand, is always "on" when riding.

Thanks for your kind words. I saw traffic on the GeoMan site from "over here" and I always like to lend a hand when I can.

Thank you!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used a basic Polar model for years. If you want the bells and whistles it won't do. But it you're just looking to use it to pace yourself I would recommend Polar basic (whatever that model is). They've been in the game a while and back all their stuff well.

So any one else have recommendations for heart rate monitors vs. GPS?
What are you using?

Timex Ironman. It's one of the few models that comes in smaller sizes for women. The receiver fits my wrist well and the design of the chest strap is perfect, no chafing.

I like the custom HR zone set up. Not sure I trust the calorie-expenditure data, but it all it can do is estimate based on my weight and the exercise duration/intensity.

Top Bottom