Have you ever regretted spending extra money up front for a better build?

Kerrigan911

Hey All,
Been riding hardtails forever and looking to jump into a full squish. My question is have you ever regretted spending extra on a build that is above your current ability?
For instance Bike A for 2300 and gets me a marzocchi z2 with deore drivetrain and wtb wheels, Bike B for 2800 gets me a dvo diamond d1, gx drivetrain and stans wheels. both have a fox float dps shock
Im riding older technology so pretty much any new bike will be an upgrade for myself.
thank you for any help and insight.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey All,
Been riding hardtails forever and looking to jump into a full squish. My question is have you ever regretted spending extra on a build that is above your current ability?
For instance Bike A for 2300 and gets me a marzocchi z2 with deore drivetrain and wtb wheels, Bike B for 2800 gets me a dvo diamond d1, gx drivetrain and stans wheels. both have a fox float dps shock
Im riding older technology so pretty much any new bike will be an upgrade for myself.
thank you for any help and insight.
The DVO and Stans wheels are 100% worth the extra.

JonF

There's a clear point of diminishing returns for every bike and trim level. You really have to break each one down to find it but once you do, its a sweet spot of features for that bike. Usually any additional you spend from the lowest trim (but usually you should avoid that one) yields good linear upgrades since you're getting those options at oem cost built into the bike. If you're compfortable with a trim below that and budget is a hard limit, do it as most of the bike shop grace components are excellent regardless of trim level (again, except the lowest). But if you have any thoughts about upgrading components, spend as much as you can now as upgrades after the fact will cost you more.

Kerrigan911

thank you all for the fantastic responses.
I ride mainly allaire, clayton and mercer. main choices are the giant trance 3 and fezzari cascade peak. you just get a lot more with the cascade for the difference in price.

SmooveP

When I bought my 2016 pivot Mach 429 trail. I regretted not spending the extra money on a better build. Even with those bikes you get what you pay for.
I think this response is probably more reflective of the majority on this board. However, the main downside to this approach is depriving yourself of the pleasure of upgrades. If you bought a complete bike that was perfect, what would you do with your spare time and money?:p

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’ve often regretted not spending enough. Upgrading sub-par parts gets costly. You spend more in the end. Also, don’t discount the benefits of purchasing from your LBS, especially if you’re not mechanically inclined.

JonF

Also, dont discount availability in these bizarro times. Unless you've checked stock, a bike you can buy is always better than a bike you cant.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Never. I have regretting NOT spending the extra $$ for the better build because the upgrades always cost than the initial upfront cost.

Reactions: Tim

Kerrigan911

I’ve often regretted not spending enough. Upgrading sub-par parts gets costly. You spend more in the end. Also, don’t discount the benefits of purchasing from your LBS, especially if you’re not mechanically inclined.
luckily im mechanically inclined. Bigger issue is supply. Most LBS just have zero inventory because of covid. i would love to check out a bunch of different brands and models in person but thats just not an option right now.

carvegybe

You can always upgrade over time. Spend money to get the better option in your frame and the suspension. All of the other parts are expendable. Oh, and save money to replace the Sram stuff with shimano.
Only have shimano XT and rode Eagle GX once on a demo - felt nice but I like XT better. I hear the upper end of Eagle drivetrains is great but Shimano provides better performance at mid-range levels. Is that an accurate summary?

Top Bottom