Have you ever regretted spending extra money up front for a better build?

So relatively inexpensive upgrades, that you would do to either bike you purchase. Since I assume you have to funds to buy either of these bikes without financially killing yourself, buy the bike you REALLY want, while you can. Spec wise, they are close enough that it's almost a wash. Either one should be fine. Get the one that excites you enough to want to ride it every day.

When I originally saw this thread I didn't realize we were talking about different bikes with different suspension platforms. I'd do more research on the suspension kinematics of each design, for that will have a much, much more significant impact on the way a bike rides than the individual components. In other words, if for whatever reason you don't jive with the bike's suspension platform, upgrading every single component isn't going to make it more enjoyable for you.

There's not much info on Fezzari's site about their suspension platform except for a crude leverage curve, which looks very progressive, but it doesn't include leverage ratio values on the chart's axis, so who knows how progressive it is. This isn't necessarily bad, but something very progressive mated with an air shock might make it difficult to reach full travel. Especially if you're a lightweight rider.

I can't find a leverage curve for a current Giant Trance, but what I'm finding is that most Maestro leverage curves are progressive, but not nearly as much as the Fezzari. The Maestro curves also have a different shape, in which the rate of progressiveness decreases as you reach full travel (which in my experience is good), as opposed to the Fezzari in which the rate of progressiveness seems to increase as you reach full travel (which will only make it more difficult to reach).

Not that all of this is necessarily any help, but as someone that has ridden lots of different suspension platforms I thought it was worth pointing out.

But, honestly what it really comes down to is this:

Get the one that excites you enough to want to ride it every day.

When I originally saw this thread I didn't realize we were talking about different bikes with different suspension platforms. I'd do more research on the suspension kinematics of each design, for that will have a much, much more significant impact on the way a bike rides than the individual components. In other words, if for whatever reason you don't jive with the bike's suspension platform, upgrading every single component isn't going to make it more enjoyable for you.

There's not much info on Fezzari's site about their suspension platform except for a crude leverage curve, which looks very progressive, but it doesn't include leverage ratio values on the chart's axis, so who knows how progressive it is. This isn't necessarily bad, but something very progressive mated with an air shock might make it difficult to reach full travel. Especially if you're a lightweight rider.

I can't find a leverage curve for a current Giant Trance, but what I'm finding is that most Maestro leverage curves are progressive, but not nearly as much as the Fezzari. The Maestro curves also have a different shape, in which the rate of progressiveness decreases as you reach full travel (which in my experience is good), as opposed to the Fezzari in which the rate of progressiveness seems to increase as you reach full travel (which will only make it more difficult to reach).

Not that all of this is necessarily any help, but as someone that has ridden lots of different suspension platforms I thought it was worth pointing out.

But, honestly what it really comes down to is this:
Appreciate the info, i did start looking into suspension designs and curves but its a bit above my understanding. I havent ridden many fs bikes so suspension design is new to me. From all the reviews i have read, the giant maestro is supposedly a very good peddler which is good for the areas i ride.
I have funds aside for either bike and am trying to get one just after xmas so i have something after winter to ride.

Appreciate the info, i did start looking into suspension designs and curves but its a bit above my understanding. I havent ridden many fs bikes so suspension design is new to me. From all the reviews i have read, the giant maestro is supposedly a very good peddler which is good for the areas i ride.
I have funds aside for either bike and am trying to get one just after xmas so i have something after winter to ride.
I have an older trance with the maestro suspension and I really like it.

Personally, I've been through a similar dilemma when I first got into biking. I splurged on what seemed like a top-of-the-line setup, thinking it would guarantee the perfect ride every time. But boy, was I wrong! Turns out, no amount of fancy components can compensate for a wonky suspension design that just doesn't mesh with your riding style. It's all about sharing experiences and learning from each other, right?

Back
Top Bottom