Have a question about curtisy and manners

A

ajrocks

Okay sorry I hijacked my post here's the new post!!!

Have a question about curtisy and manners though.

We were coming up to where the stream is on the white trail and saw a couple coming at us..we pulled out of the way into the grass so they could come down and up without losing tempo...

The guy made it and elled to the girl to go faster don't slow down, but she didn't quite make it and ended up falling off the bike, not the onto the ground but off the bike...some guy came flying down and up and had to jump off his bike so he wouldn't hurt the other two.

Now that stream and trail part you can see a bit, so he should have seen her and the other guy, we were right around the corner waiting, we thought he was with them, and aparently he got made and made a nasty comment to al of us that we were in the way.

Well okay they were, we weren't....but he should have seen them and waited right?

What's the etiquette....

I have heard/read the road cyclists and MTBer's have a serious hate relationship.

So is there an etiquette here, or is it everyman for themselves and screw the others....by the way, I don't seem to get that idea from this board.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Usually you yield to everyone on the trial not on a bike, and yield to other bikers that going uphill versus downhill. There is no hate towards roadies that i've seen. That guy that got mad must have been an oddball. I still don't know how everyone has these encounters. I've never had a bad occurrence with anyone on the trails other than the occasional person that looks annoyed or doesn't return a hello.

A

ajrocks

I know the rules of the trail, so in other words that guy was a D**K

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I say smaller group yeilds to larger group (usually), going downhill yields to uphill (if it's safe), going slower yeilds to going faster (Within reason)

MTB Aussie

I say smaller group yeilds to larger group (usually), going downhill yields to uphill (if it's safe), going slower yeilds to going faster (Within reason)
I say going faster yields to going slower. How do you known when someone is hammering down behind you until they yell at you? The faster rider should be prepared to slow and make a safe pass. To me that is yielding.

In line with this thread, if someone crashes and is still picking themselves up, only a D**K would get mad at them for "being in the way". Anyone who feels someone is "in the way" has a self righteous sense of trail ownership which typically exists only in their head.

Minotaur

Last year when I rode Allaire for the first time, of course I was a babe in the woods. There was a steep curving hill I was going up, but 4 or 6 other guys came barreling down. The first one yelled "rider up" which meant me. He also told me there were more coming. I yielded to them because there was no way I could make it up that hill in the amount of time they could make it down. It was a courteous encounter all told, and the riders at the rear said "two more... one more... I'm the last..." We wished each other good rides and they disappeared. Then I proceeded to crawl up the hill. Right or wrong I just thought it was sensible to not have them lose their downhill momentum and the rush, while I crawled up.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I try to be polite when on the trail, ask if assistance is needed, a hello, good day type stuff, and thats coming from a real foul mofo.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
yeah thats one that i dont quite understand is the downhiller yielding to the uphiller. i would think it would be much safer the other way around.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Not sure who should yield?
Pick a hill and climb it. Quickly click out and stop halfway up the incline.
Then click back in and continue up the hill. Make it okay?

Next, ride down the hill and do the same.
Which direction would a rider be more apt to maintain control of the bike while stopping and restarting?

Now consider that many of the riders out there won't be half as skilled as you.

The climbing rider should always have the right of way for reasons of courtesy and safety. If they choose to relinquish it and yield, that's cool, but it's their choice.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
well i see both sides of the topic. but i know ive been on some pretty sketchy decents that if i tried to stop id most likely take a nasty spill. where as the climber would be able to stop easier. either way i still follow the rules:D

BiknBen

well i see both sides of the topic. but i know I've been on some pretty sketchy descents that if i tried to stop id most likely take a nasty spill. where as the climber would be able to stop easier. either way i still follow the rules:D

The rules of the trail don't just stop at yielding,
Official IMBA Mountain Bike Rules of the Trail
3. Control Your Bicycle!
Inattention for even a second can cause problems. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations.

4. Always Yield Trail.
Let your fellow trail users know you're coming. A friendly greeting or bell is considerate and works well; don't startle others. Show your respect when passing by slowing to a walking pace or even stopping. Anticipate other trail users around corners or in blind spots. Yielding means slow down, establish communication, be prepared to stop if necessary and pass safely.

A rider should be expected to yield if required. We could debate about who yield to who for an eternity. Riders are expected to be able to control your bike and anticipate the trail ahead. Screaming down a hill does not earn anyone the right of way.

While I'm a nice guy on the trail, if I'm busting a$$ to get up a climb and want to continue, I'm not stopping. Some trails may allow for one rider to move to one side and both pass safely. If there is one track and I'm in it going up...it's mine! In reality, this seldom happens and I doubt it is worth such a debate.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
well i see both sides of the topic. but i know ive been on some pretty sketchy decents that if i tried to stop id most likely take a nasty spill. where as the climber would be able to stop easier. either way i still follow the rules:D

If you are going fast enough that you can't stop without falling, you have exceeded your skill level. We aren't talking about 30mph blind corners here...

Top Bottom