Has the price of specialty beers gotten out of control? And Mondavi can SAD

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
why vilify mondavi? didn't he bring reasonable wine to the masses?

i'd get on coppola tho, his winery is like a theme park.....
DSCF4257.JPG

I was into his wine before he went Theme Park. He signed this bottle for me...his name is Francis Ford Coppola. In case you didn't know he directed THE GODFATHER.

Rick and Norm get served PBR's from now on because the internets says so. I have a picture of me and Tim Modavi upstairs in a shoebox upstairs but I couldn't find it...his son cashed in on the family name and is now producing mediocre wines.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
^ You should sell that bottle to pawn stars
Would not get much for it, its personalized. Its says Keep Collecting Chris. If he just signed his name I'd probably get more.
I did get to meet him and shake his hand, so its worth more to me then what $ I could get for it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
dumb-and-dumber1.jpg

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would not get much for it, its personalized. Its says Keep Collecting Chris.

So.. you were a collector of wine? Probably spending way too much for hard to find bottles of aged grape juice? How is that any different?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So.. you were a collector of wine? Probably spending way too much for hard to find bottles of aged grape juice? How is that any different?
I've tasted some of the best wines and I've tasted some of the best beers. Collectible wine is age-worthy, a 30 yr old bottle of wine from a good vintage is extremely valuable...and the taste is like nothing beer could ever come close to. I've had bottles of 1990 Caymus Cabernet and Beaulieu Vineyard Private Reserve that blow away anything a beer maker can produce. IMO wine is worth the $$$ the market is willing to bear, I don't feel the same way about beer.

I drink beer more these days but when I do drink wine I like a zinfandel or pinot noir, cabernets are somewhat over-rated.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMO wine is worth the $$$ the market is willing to bear, I don't feel the same way about beer.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

By the way, those same 72 dollar 4 packs....going for 200+ now by private sellers. Something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. That's really not something you can argue.

I think you're just an uptight wine snob. :p

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That doesn't make any sense to me.

By the way, those same 72 dollar 4 packs....going for 200+ now by private sellers. Something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. That's really not something you can argue.

I think you're just an uptight wine snob. :p
I have been subjected to hearing how much my FIL knows abou wine for
Many years.

From an non-drinker perspective, the price is driven like anything else, supply and demand. but wine is different than beer because of its self life. If it truly gets better with time, it is obviously going to gain value because of low supply over time. Beer doesn't have that going for it.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It must be a lack of knowledge. These craft beers do age and greatly increase with value as they age.

Exampe, Goose Island Bourbon County Brand stout goes for over 100 a bottle from some of the early releases.

Craft beer is the new wine.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've tasted some of the best wines and I've tasted some of the best beers. Collectible wine is age-worthy, a 30 yr old bottle of wine from a good vintage is extremely valuable...and the taste is like nothing beer could ever come close to. I've had bottles of 1990 Caymus Cabernet and Beaulieu Vineyard Private Reserve that blow away anything a beer maker can produce. IMO wine is worth the $$$ the market is willing to bear, I don't feel the same way about beer.

I'm not a wine drinker at all, but I would have to disagree with you on a sweeping statement like this. Beer is, from a process standpoint, way more complex than wine. And beer is generally more versatile for pairing with food. There are a few beers that age well, too -- Russian River, for example, has some beers they save for different periods (10, 15 even 20 years.) They'll probably never be able to age for a hundred or more years like some wines, but some still age well. Overall, it's about personal preference But as far as a straight up comparison, it's probably true wine has some advantages, but beer certainly has some others. An expensive beer is usually due to the fact that it's a small run with an established customer base. I know that nowadays IPAs are all the rage, but I'm not big into those so I wouldn't spend a lot of money for any IPA (I have a friend, though, who has driven across the state to buy a single four pack of Shape of Hops to Come.) For me a, a higher ABV Belgian Quad or Tripel is something I'll pay good money for - certainly more than I'd pay for any wine.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It must be a lack of knowledge. These craft beers do age and greatly increase with value as they age.

Exampe, Goose Island Bourbon County Brand stout goes for over 100 a bottle from some of the early releases.

Craft beer is the new wine.

some beers, like some wines age well. those inexpensive ones (beer or wine) will taste worse next year....they are 'drink now'.
remember AB and SABM are putting 'born on' dates on their beer, so you get it fresh....

As @1speed notes, the monks have been doing it right for a long time, and they received a premium price. with better marketing, they
might raise demand/price. seems like it has been stable for a long time.

a clean, fresh pilsner in the summer. or an unfiltered wheat hinting of clove and banana, although none was added. these prices are steady.
Just took a quick look, and europe isn't in the middle of this Hop-over-the-Top rage... interesting.

so from my perspective, there is a willingness to invest in both wine/beer. they are fun to collect and share, especially if unique. beers don't get
old around here, except the anchor xmas. usually have a magnum from last year. that reminds me...

compare this to tickets to a concert/show... it is an experience. maybe it is the same if seeing them in philly and nyc, but it is different.
does that make any sense?

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
some beers, like some wines age well. those inexpensive ones (beer or wine) will taste worse next year....they are 'drink now'.
remember AB and SABM are putting 'born on' dates on their beer, so you get it fresh....

As @1speed notes, the monks have been doing it right for a long time, and they received a premium price. with better marketing, they
might raise demand/price. seems like it has been stable for a long time.

a clean, fresh pilsner in the summer. or an unfiltered wheat hinting of clove and banana, although none was added. these prices are steady.
Just took a quick look, and europe isn't in the middle of this Hop-over-the-Top rage... interesting.

so from my perspective, there is a willingness to invest in both wine/beer. they are fun to collect and share, especially if unique. beers don't get
old around here, except the anchor xmas. usually have a magnum from last year. that reminds me...

compare this to tickets to a concert/show... it is an experience. maybe it is the same if seeing them in philly and nyc, but it is different.
does that make any sense?

This seriously makes no sense at all. I'm pretty sure everyone who read that is a little dumber. :)

Top Bottom