Has the price of specialty beers gotten out of control? And Mondavi can SAD

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought this would be a good idea. There are a ton of breweries around now and many have limited, seassonal, or special events that are easy to miss.

Here's my first contribution:

Kane is release their a night to end all dawns stout. Just check the reviews on beer advocate. Seems like it's an all time great. You have to pre register tomorrow at noon and can pick up on Sunday at the brewery.

I'll be racing on Sunday so I can't make it. Bummer for me.

Here's the reg link:

http://m.bpt.me/event/2474959

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Neshaminy is doing a release saturday - Brewery only.

First up, we’ve got our first release of A Good Problem to Have DIPA going down on Saturday, December 12th starting at 12 Noon. We’re only making this beer available in cans direct ONLY at the brewery; none will be shipped to distributors or sold to retailers. ZERO. NONE. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. If you want this beer you must come to the brewery and get it. We’re making this beer available in 16 ounce six-packs, and cases. Six-packs are $22 a piece and cases are $75, with a two case per customer limit. We’re only canning this beer 5 or 6 times a year and each run will be roughly 190 to 200 cases.

Reactions: rlb

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
$72 for a 4pk...and you have to register to get it???

They can suck my Johnson for free and I won't even make you register.

What has buying beer turned into...this is soooo wrong.

They're bombers. 18 dollar bombers of high alcohol barrel aged stout isn't unheard of.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They're bombers. 18 dollar bombers of high alcohol barrel aged stout isn't unheard of.
So you have to pay $72 for the beer you really want(A night to end all dawns) and you get 3 other bombers you really don't care about. But hey, I'm sure people will be lining up for this stupidity.

The problem is Craft beer is becoming too trendy, breweries are cashing in on the hype market...I guess I can't blame them, but I am not gonna add to the hype if I can help it.

jackx

I thought this would be a good idea. There are a ton of breweries around now and many have limited, seassonal, or special events that are easy to miss.

Good idea for a thread! I would have been interested if it was for a release of cans of Kane Head High IPA.

$72 for a 4pk...and you have to register to get it???

They can suck my Johnson for free and I won't even make you register.

What has buying beer turned into...this is soooo wrong.

You got that right!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So you have to pay $72 for the beer you really want(A night to end all dawns) and you get 3 other bombers you really don't care about. But hey, I'm sure people will be lining up for this stupidity.

The problem is Craft beer is becoming too trendy, breweries are cashing in on the hype market...I guess I can't blame them, but I am not gonna add to the hype if I can help it.

There is a craft beer bubble forming. I expect crash in the next year. Short those stocks and drink as much as possible while it lasts.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMG_9028.JPG

Pretty much anything Kane releases is a special release cause their bottles/cans are too hard to find.

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Guess @pooriggy hasnt dabbled much in the wine industry.
DSCF4244.JPG

I have dabbled in the wine industry. I was really into wine in the 90's. When I got married my wife and I toured wine county in California. 1990 was a great year for Cab. My father in law is a big time collector and am fortunate enough to taste some of the best wine time can make. Wine is a whole different culture, the process is much more complex. I understand the snob appeal and can justify the pricing...I can't afford it any more and prefer beer these days. However with the popularity of beer now it seems that some breweries are pushing the prices due to hype.

My message to these guys....ITS FUCKING BEER. If you want to drink something worth the hype and snob appeal look for an 1985 Robert Mondavi Cabernet.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 28751

I have dabbled in the wine industry. I was really into wine in the 90's. When I got married my wife and I toured wine county in California. 1990 was a great year for Cab. My father in law is a big time collector and am fortunate enough to taste some of the best wine time can make. Wine is a whole different culture, the process is much more complex. I understand the snob appeal and can justify the pricing...I can't afford it any more and prefer beer these days. However with the popularity of beer now it seems that some breweries are pushing the prices due to hype.

My message to these guys....ITS FUCKING BEER. If you want to drink something worth the hype and snob appeal look for an 1985 Robert Mondavi Cabernet.
Why you so mad tho?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 28751

I agree beer should be rated on a 3 star scale. Bad Ok Good.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why you so mad tho?
Because you bozo's are driving up the price of beer. When it comes down to it pricing is based somewhat on what the consumer is willing to pay.
I thought I was an idiot for paying $15 for a 4pk of Heady...$72 for 4 bombers takes it to another level.

Does anyone else see the stupidity in this?

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Because you bozo's are driving up the price of beer. When it comes down to it pricing is based somewhat on what the consumer is willing to pay.
I thought I was an idiot for paying $15 for a 4pk of Heady...$72 for 4 bombers takes it to another level.

Does anyone else see the stupidity in this?

Sorry if you're into it, but the market spoke. This beer sold out in minutes. Say what you want, call people bozos (are you 70?), but if people buy it, it's going to stick.

jnos

Say what you want, call people bozos (are you 70?), but if people buy it, it's going to stick.

tumblr_m6rn3s148x1r8kfm2o1_500.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The only reason to set a price is willingness to pay. if they were smart, they'd auction
it off like google did with their IPO.

if
"willingness" < cost+reasonable_profit

then you don't have a viable product. if it is much larger, or you can stoke the fire to get it there, good for you.

i too think there is a bubble - cost/availability of hops is one of the drivers, hops are easy to grow. more supply
leads to competition...capitalism, ya know.

Look at what has happened to Enjoy By. Stuff is just sitting on the shelves now cause it is coming every couple of months,
and in higher quantity. Great beer, but the hype has died down, cause it can now be had. perhaps the main reason
heady will not expand production....

---------------------------------------------------------------

anyway, the allagash curieux is in that price range. It is a 750ml format (like wine) so more liquid. Absolutely worth it.

I get @pooriggy's point tho - you can make experimental batches of drink-now beer in a month's time. Wine is an art, (and lots of science)
which leads to a world market - hence, larger audience/larger willingness-to-pay. The flip side of that is there is so much good
juice out there now - a $12 bottle of wine is not horrible. Hell, a $6 bottle isn't so bad either.

Consider how cheap wine is to make - ferment/age/bottle in australia, put it on a boat, sell it in america for $8/1.5L.... geez!

Top Bottom