Has anyone used Win detergent for their stanky clothes?

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone used Win detergent for their stanky clothes?

http://www.windetergent.com

I used to use Febreeze liquid detergent directly in the laundry but they only make a spray now.

Some of my stuff is pretty funky within 10 mins of riding, and that's straight from the wash.

Shaggz

A strong 7
that's a great tagline on the site.

it seems my gloves suffer the worst, even out of the wash. i heard a dliute vinegar solution is supposed to work well.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
if you have problems with odors(which are generally caused by bacteria), try adding 1/4 cup white wine vinegar to your laundry, in addition to detergent. it will not leave a vinegar odor and will kill off the bacteria that your detergent wont.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just an update - I tried this stuff with some clothes that I thought were ruined because I could not get the smell out and it works well. Took two washings for some of the worst offenders but a very small amount worked really well.

did you put your camelbak in it? :D

PedalPaddles

A few laundry tips I learned over the last 20 smelly years...

• Remove your clothes (especially shorts) immediately after a ride (before you drive home).
• Wash your clothes as soon as you get home.
• Take them out of the wash and hang them up immediately (shorts inside out).
• For gloves, I recommend a boot drier after each ride even if you do not wash them.
• Camelback...washer and DRYER when it starts to smell (they are indestructible).
• Helmet...air out in the house after each ride (dampness is the enemy, so drying in your car or garage may not work well). You can also wash it in the sink with laundry detergent too.
• Try washing your ass once in a while.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like your last point. For the saddle sore battle, I would make it anti-bacterial soap and, you know, really get in there when you scrub. Ok, enough of that.

I hang my clothes in the basement after each ride to dry out. Never any issue with 1 wash and done with the stink. I wash 1 full load of bike clothes every Sunday. Use fabric softener. It smells jolly. Always hang the camelback after use. Generally you can't come home and throw your clothes in a pile for a week and then have to start to smell like ammonia.

DD-

Laundry Techniques

This is actually funny discussing laundry techniques with a bunch of guys :D

I'd heard that adding fabric softener kills the "coolmax" in the fabric - and also holds the odors in - anyone else heard that one?

I generally use a white vinegar with the usual no dye/no perfume type of laundry detergent every few washes, and I don't use fab softener - that seems to work.

Camelback gets a shot of fabreeze after every ride, then hung up to dry in the basement. I've found that leaving the stuff in the back of the Jeep in the sun is a disaster - you NEVER get the baked in smell out :eek: ...better to just burn it, then torture the person riding behind you.

PedalPaddles

Good Point Norm...if you cannot wash your clothes right away, at least hang them to dry in the mean time. By the way, antibacterial soap doesn't have enough active ingredient to really kill bacteria (marketing ploy). Witch Hazel is a good product for cleaning the under-carriage.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good Point Norm...if you cannot wash your clothes right away, at least hang them to dry in the mean time. By the way, antibacterial soap doesn't have enough active ingredient to really kill bacteria (marketing ploy). Witch Hazel is a good product for cleaning the under-carriage.

Ah, ok thanks. Funny you say that, because while I literally don't need to wear deodorant any longer, the saddle sores still pop up randomly.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
because you ride alone, or are you moving to europe?

It kills the bacteria. That's why you stink.

As for fabric softener and wicking, meh. Never had a problem and I smell spendid. Well, up to about an hour then all bets are off.

It does increase flammability in fabrics. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm jumping through fire hoops out there at Chimney Rock.

Fred, I have no wise ass answers for you but I'll keep you in mind for the next post.

Shaggz

A strong 7
reviving this thread - has it been determined that fabric softener effects the cool max/wicking action in jerseys, etc? how about the dryer?

ArmyOfNone

reviving this thread - has it been determined that fabric softener effects the cool max/wicking action in jerseys, etc? how about the dryer?

I think the dryer will not effect how the piece works, but i think it can screw up the finish.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I think the dryer will not effect how the piece works, but i think it can screw up the finish.

Wrong. you will melt some wicking fabrics in the dryer.

Gore however recommends putting Gore_tex and Windstopper fabrics in the dryer to revive their wicked and waterproofing properties.

Each fabric is different. Gore tex has tiny holes in it that let water vapor out and keeps whole water molecules out. This fabric is OK with the dryer.

Others will melt for sure.

j

ArmyOfNone

Wrong. you will melt some wicking fabrics in the dryer.

Gore however recommends putting Gore_tex and Windstopper fabrics in the dryer to revive their wicked and waterproofing properties.

Each fabric is different. Gore tex has tiny holes in it that let water vapor out and keeps whole water molecules out. This fabric is OK with the dryer.

Others will melt for sure.

j

die!!

Top Bottom