Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Update: We did some more tread work at Hartshorne last Monday (4/12) on the grand tour. We had 8 volunteers. A few from the forums showed up. There was some miscomunitcation in the begining and we got a late start. However, the smaller teams seem to work. A lot of work was accomplished by a small few in a short amount of time We had a guest appearance of @pooriggy (corrected)

However, the photos were not taken. I promise photo's next time.

More dates were added for Huber and Hartshorne. Here's the sign up link to the portal.

Hartshorne are Sat's and Mondays. Huber's are Wednesday.

Hartshorne:

Date/Time &
Details
Volunteers
Needed
Sat, May 8, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Maintenance Lot; 254 Hartshorne Rd., Locust
Sat, May 22, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Maintenance Lot; 254 Hartshorne Rd, Locust
Mon, May 24, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Mon, Jun 7, 2021 - 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Sat, Jun 12, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Huber:
Date/Time &
Details
Volunteers
Needed
Wed, May 5, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Follow signs to parking
Waitlist
Wed, May 19, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Follow signs to parking
Wed, Jun 2, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Follow signs to parking
Wed, Jun 16, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Follow signs to parking

Last edited:

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-155014.png
    Screenshot_20210426-155014.png
    341.9 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: don

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
This sat may 8 trail reroute at hartshorne.

Did I say trail reroute? Yes I did. Last minute notice I just found out about it

Link here:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Despite the threatening skies we were able to put in a mini re-route on Rocky Point. We still have to go back and fix a greasy section, which we should get to this week. I'm happy with how easily we got this in. Thanks goes out to the crew, some of which are regulars here. @rottin' @ChrisG . Not sure if Steve Mann and Gary Rose are on here, I know they mountain bike.

If you'd like to take part in TM like this fill out an application and register for a Trails training session. If it's full, go on the wait list, we'll open it up if the demand is there.

IMG_20210508_141517~2.jpg
IMG_20210508_141509~2.jpg
IMG_20210508_141526~2.jpg

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
upcoming events: Huber woods (I gather meet at Huber woods parking lot)

Date/Time & Needed

Wed, May 19, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM 3
Wed, Jun 2, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM 2
Wed, Jun 16, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM wait list

Upcoming events: Hartshorne Woods

Sat, May 22, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM Waitlist - 0

Mon, May 24, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 2

Mon, Jun 7, 2021 - 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM 2

Sat, Jun 12, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 2

Mon, Jun 14, 2021 - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM 2

There is a trail training class this Sat the 22nd. It's currently full. Please see Poor Iggys comment above. Please register!!

Portal: https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?Id=2614

BTW, I've signed up for the 24th.

Ronnie B

Despite the threatening skies we were able to put in a mini re-route on Rocky Point. We still have to go back and fix a greasy section, which we should get to this week. I'm happy with how easily we got this in. Thanks goes out to the crew, some of which are regulars here. @rottin' @ChrisG . Not sure if Steve Mann and Gary Rose are on here, I know they mountain bike.

If you'd like to take part in TM like this fill out an application and register for a Trails training session. If it's full, go on the wait list, we'll open it up if the demand is there.

View attachment 157346View attachment 157347View attachment 157348
Rode through this today, was a nice surprise!

don

Is tomorrow Vegetation Work (6-8pm)? I think I'm signed up but the portal doesn't list it on the event calendar.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is tomorrow Vegetation Work (6-8pm)? I think I'm signed up but the portal doesn't list it on the event calendar.
This is ongoing every other Wednesday, it is scheduled for tomorrow.
Thanks!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We had a really solid crew this morning on Grand Tour (Water Tower Climb).

Wally, @don @ChrisG @knobbyhead, Steve, Brian, Larry.

This crew was a good mix of experienced riders, builders and volunteers. There is a lot more to do but it's a start and the work is top notch. Thanks folks.

We're back at it Monday at 9am, let me know if you'd like to join in.

don

Some nice progress today! Good to see everyone and talk mtb stuff with Knobby and ChrisG. Crazy to think about how long Wally has been at it and the stories he has to tell. Larry was like an excavator with the amount of material he moved! Looking forward to some more work on that legacy trail.

Thanks for organizing Iggy!

PS - Attached are some photos of the fixes on the upper part but lower than the gravel road. Before people say we dumbed down that section - it is still pretty steep but now gone is the hole that made climbing it a real PITA. The amount of material used to fill in was ample and included a layer of rock to make a solid base to hold everything. 2 well made and positioned drainage ditches were made prior to it so I think it will hold well going forward. I think Iggy wants to keep that traditional Hartshorne feel but make it erosion free and take the punch in the teeth out of it (but still keep the punch in the gut feel ;D )

BTW - this was done after 2 nicely made spill lanes were done lower (near where Iggy, Larry and Karate Monkey did the recent work on the other thread).

Attachments

• Grand_Tour_1.jpg
    Grand_Tour_1.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Grand_Tour_2.jpg
    Grand_Tour_2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 136

smw

@don Climbing it? I didn't even know that was an option! What sickos try to climb that section?!?

Joking aside-glad to hear about positive efforts and thanks for sharing the photos.
-Scott

don

@don Climbing it? I didn't even know that was an option! What sickos try to climb that section?!?

Joking aside-glad to hear about positive efforts and thanks for sharing the photos.
-Scott
Thanks Scott

I ran over to ride it today as I got some slack on the changes from a couple people on IG and wanted to see if the "dumb downs" made the trail as horrible as they said. What is funny is at first look I told Iggy the section in the pictures is way too steep for the material and use this park gets and thought a re-route with a lower angle was the only solution. He wanted to keep the legacy line and feel of the trail which I'm glad he did because it's been a staple at Hartshorne for decades and I think the work that was done will satisfy many users and will hold up to the rains and use.

My take on the climb:
I"m not the best cardio XC climber but had fresh legs going there straight from the parking lot and climbed the whole trail save for a quick dab on one of the taller log sections. The work that Iggy, Larry and KM did lower down was really good. It was steep but rode nicely with plenty of traction. I stayed in the middle of the trail instead of going to the right to find a line like I've done previously. The drainage work we did on Tuesday felt natural going up and will be even better once things pack down more and the sand remnants are gone. Further up on the trail (shown in the pictures) it climbed very well. Steep and some leg work but there is traction and a good line is available. The dips that Chris G, Knobby and Iggy did before the gravel road felt good and natural.

Coming down:
I'm probably biased but I thought it rode great. The first couple of drainage dips were so fun - almost "pump track-ie". Then the roller drop felt really good. So nice to have a little tranny and not a bomb hole. I set up to the left going in and it felt natural to bring me back to the right and center on the trail. The only bummer was the pile of sand before the next turn (where the rock garden is) but that will be fixed with the next round of drains. Down below the new spill outs felt great. The second could use more material on the backside to hold you in but overall felt smooth controlled and natural. And the section Iggy/KM and Larry did last week was way better than I thought it would ride.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
New trail maintenance classes, mandatory if you want to participate in trail maintenance in Monmouth county

9/3 Fri 10 am to noon

9/25 sat morning.

Sign in:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions