Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

the complete lack of maintenance at Huber and Hartshorne pisses me off. It’s a disgrace. These parks get used waaay too much to receive ZERO attention from park staff.

The trail maintenance sessions are nothing more than PR stunts for MCPS to take pics showing the cast of Cocoon with rakes and hedge clippers. And no, I am not criticizing the volunteers. It’s great that people want to volunteer their time. But seriously... how much good can a 70 year old lady with a hedge clipper really do?

Ignore the trails. Take some pics of the trail maintenance session. Rinse and repeat. It’s a joke

the complete lack of maintenance at Huber and Hartshorne pisses me off. It’s a disgrace. These parks get used waaay too much to receive ZERO attention from park staff.

The trail maintenance sessions are nothing more than PR stunts for MCPS to take pics showing the cast of Cocoon with rakes and hedge clippers. And no, I am not criticizing the volunteers. It’s great that people want to volunteer their time. But seriously... how much good can a 70 year old lady with a hedge clipper really do?

Ignore the trails. Take some pics of the trail maintenance session. Rinse and repeat. It’s a joke

Plus side, nobody can say they're not technical enough, chainsaw guy aside.

I normally ride Hartshorne 2x a week during the year as I'm local, but have not been there most of the summer as I had knee surgery earlier in the season. Rode there last weekend for the first time in months and was really, really disappointed to see all of the logs that have been cut out firsthand that I have been reading about here for the last few months. I mean, that really is a frustrating act that chainsaw guy has done to the park. Have there been any updates on the park officials doing anything to him? The only plus side to his actions are that I don't believe there are any left crossing the trail for him to cut, so he may be dormant for a while.

I was also sad to see a few (maybe 3 or 4) shortcuts on some of the turns in the park. I mean, what is the point of that? I don't know if it's people trying to shave 0.5 seconds on a downhill run or what, but all of the rogue trail modifications are not going to help the cause of better trails from the park's perspective, I would suspect it would have the opposite effect and cast a negative light from the park point of view on the mtb trail users that frequent their park.

I was also sad to see a few (maybe 3 or 4) shortcuts on some of the turns in the park. I mean, what is the point of that? I don't know if it's people trying to shave 0.5 seconds on a downhill run or what, but all of the rogue trail modifications are not going to help the cause of better trails from the park's perspective, I would suspect it would have the opposite effect and cast a negative light from the park point of view on the mtb trail users that frequent their park.

I'm pretty sure it's all the work of chainsaw guy.

I was just speaking with another rider (not on this forum) who had some positive info. Apparently, the park rangers caught "Chainsaw Guy." They need pictures of him or firsthand information from anyone who actually saw him modifying the trails.

I'm pretty sure it's all the work of chainsaw guy.

I was just speaking with another rider (not on this forum) who had some positive info. Apparently, the park rangers caught "Chainsaw Guy." They need pictures of him or firsthand information from anyone who actually saw him modifying the trails.
@SmooveP

Just talked to Ryan, the head ranger at Hartshorne. He confirmed that they've spoken to to the guy and warned him to stop the unauthorized trail work. He also said that if anyone catches him in the act, to call the County radio room number 732-577-8700. Pictures would be helpful if they show him with a chainsaw or other tools. I'll be happy to forward them to Ryan if you like.

Anyone else?
Damp...95% of parks (hart/huber). Wet 5%...Couple puddles, 3-4 mud spots, but the usual places. I will say that the rain did pat down the beach sections throughout the parks. That being said, there were some new "gulleys" on some centers of trails from the recent rain.

Pictures of unsafe trails on public park pages (Facebook) may get attention. I rode herethe other week for the first time in a long while... very disappointing to see the lack of maintenance. “So sad”

Anyone else?
Damp...95% of parks (hart/huber). Wet 5%...Couple puddles, 3-4 mud spots, but the usual places. I will say that the rain did pat down the beach sections throughout the parks. That being said, there were some new "gulleys" on some centers of trails from the recent rain.

It's fully rideable. There are a couple trees down on Grand Tour and a few soft spots. The weather this summer has taken it's toll. There are a lot of exposed loose rocks and exposed roots. It will challenge you. If you are on Strava "Bone Buster Bing Bong" is pretty blown out. It's nasty but rideable. Make the best of it and go have fun!

I went to Hartshorn for the first time in over 20 years this summer and found it extremely challenging. Perhaps the fact that im 20 years older or we picked the 2nd hottest day of the year to go.. But I want to go back, anyone down for a Saturday ride??

What does @mike_243 always say to the beginners? If there's a puddle, go through the middle, slow. I shit you not, yesterday the trail was an easy 2 feet wider in some spots than it was two weeks ago.

FFS, if you are going to ride when it's wet, don't add to the problem.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions