Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

johnnyrides

Just got here on Navesink and it’s pouring for the past 20 min. My luck after driving 45 min. Will wait it out and try riding. Hope is passes fairly quickly.

Karate Monkey

Just got here on Navesink and it’s pouring for the past 20 min. My luck after driving 45 min. Will wait it out and try riding. Hope is passes fairly quickly.

Rain's already gone the town over... Go pedal the bike path at Sandy Hook from Rocky Point or Buttermilk Valley. By the time you get back, should be good as long as you avoid the claypit.

It will be more humid than balls, though...

johnnyrides

Nice

Attachments

• AAF88E65-2133-4DA3-8A58-E89795915D0A.jpeg
    AAF88E65-2133-4DA3-8A58-E89795915D0A.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 197

Molasses

Awesome- looking to ride there tomorrow. It POURED by 6 Mile for a good hour and I wasn’t holding out too much hope for tomorrow. Hitting the SPIN bike now!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So far not bad. Chests ridge to rocky point is fine. Some punchy rooty climbs you slip due to wetness but all in all. Good to go so far

Just finished a loop. The wet roots got the best of me on some climbs I normally have no trouble with. There is a monster tree down on rocky point. If you are riding clockwise out of the rocky point lot watch out for this as you could be moving pretty quick when you come upon it.
AADE0E98-06A4-4E9C-8C03-9BE5BDB2EF5A.jpeg

johnnyrides

Just finished a loop. The wet roots got the best of me on some climbs I normally have no trouble with. There is a monster tree down on rocky point. If you are riding clockwise out of the rocky point lot watch out for this as you could be moving pretty quick when you come upon it.
View attachment 74444
You bet I stopped right in front of it and walked around. Choppy ride with too much sandy slippage on roots and rocks. Will be perfect tomorrow afternoon.

johnnyrides

Update ......it poured again as I left. Will be wet there tomorrow. Afternoon would be better but good luck with the shore traffic then.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So Hartshorne and Huber Woods got 5" of rain on Tuesday night in a span of about 2 hours. I rode Harts yesterday and Huber today and both parks suffered massive erosion. Both are ridable, just different than they were before. Keep alert as the trails and lines have changed.

johnnyrides

So Hartshorne and Huber Woods got 5" of rain on Tuesday night in a span of about 2 hours. I rode Harts yesterday and Huber today and both parks suffered massive erosion. Both are ridable, just different than they were before. Keep alert as the trails and lines have changed.

Damn. That park was already significantly eroded in a few areas IMO. Little TM happens there compared to other parks. Sorry to hear.

SmooveP

Troof. I rode there this afternoon and it's in rough shape. Not something that's easily addressed by TM sessions. I think it's caused by just a bad combination of dry weather followed by multiple heavy downpours. Interestingly, there are a bunch of new waterbars on the "middle" section of Rocky Point. Hard to say if they helped, but they sure suck to ride over.

rmap01

You're not kidding! Rode there yesterday and was blown away by how much erosion occurred since I was here last month when conditions were as good as I can recall. It will take a monumental effort to address. As you point out it's still rideable but really a shame as prior TM efforts are undermined to a large extent. But if I look on the positive side, the ruts add back some level of difficulty that chainsaw got eliminated ;)

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Damn. That park was already significantly eroded in a few areas IMO. Little TM happens there compared to other parks. Sorry to hear.
Troof. I rode there this afternoon and it's in rough shape. Not something that's easily addressed by TM sessions. I think it's caused by just a bad combination of dry weather followed by multiple heavy downpours. Interestingly, there are a bunch of new waterbars on the "middle" section of Rocky Point. Hard to say if they helped, but they sure suck to ride over.
You're not kidding! Rode there yesterday and was blown away by how much erosion occurred since I was here last month when conditions were as good as I can recall. It will take a monumental effort to address. As you point out it's still rideable but really a shame as prior TM efforts are undermined to a large extent. But if I look on the positive side, the ruts add back some level of difficulty that chainsaw got eliminated ;)

I didn't ride Rocky point the other day as I was running short on time. I did ride everything else at Harts and all of Huber. It is my opinion that the recent TM sessions that focused on adding more water bars were a complete waste of time. Actually, I think the additional water bars made things worse on Laurel Ridge, Grand Tour, and Cuesta Ridge. The downhill side of nearly every waterbar is now basically a hole. Any flat sections at the bottom of the descents are now just inches deep with soft fluffy sand. I am not a trail builder but I think whoever is responsible for trial building at the county should pull their heads out of the sand and start re-rerouting trails in a more sustainable way. I am pretty sure fall-line trails with waterbars is a thing of the past in most parks where the governing body is actually interested in providing quality trails. It would be a huge undertaking but at least the effort would be spent on something that would make a positive impact.

Who am I kidding? The current trails have little to no shot of ever being repaired let alone new trails being built.

rmap01

I think whoever is responsible for trial building at the county should pull their heads out of the sand...

You mean at the flat sections of the bottom of the descents? ;)

But seriously, I couldn’t agree more. I know this has been a source of frustration forever but you would think that someone would finally get it. It’s a shame. This could really be a great trail system.

johnnyrides

From what I understand, people who used to do significant TM there years ago got very frustrated with getting no support from the Hart’s county parks dept and moved on to spending more time at Allaire and dedicating themselves there. Not good for hoping things get better. The place needs serious attention.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions