Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

GREAT JOB on the Grand Tour. Just bermtastic.

B1GG GUNS PXL_20220917_152645049.MP-01.jpg

After the last six days, I was itching to get out of the house, and had resigned myself to doing a road ride. I saw @krink 's post about Allaire, and buoyed by his response, I decided to go check out Hartshorne/Huber.

The parks are in excellent shape, with only a few blow downs on the trail. @pooriggy and his Trail Gnomes have been doing excellent remediation work, and it shows. The only real water was on the lowest points of Grand Tour, in leaves. The ground was damp, but firm.

After the last six days, I was itching to get out of the house, and had resigned myself to doing a road ride. I saw @krink 's post about Allaire, and buoyed by his response, I decided to go check out Hartshorne/Huber.

The parks are in excellent shape, with only a few blow downs on the trail. @pooriggy and his Trail Gnomes have been doing excellent remediation work, and it shows. The only real water was on the lowest points of Grand Tour, in leaves. The ground was damp, but firm.
Awright! Next stop HuberShorne!

Thanks for reporting. This is great news
I'd think it would have been after 5 days of rain .

Rode here (+ Huber) on Saturday, Trails conditions really good, dirt was a little moist but more tacky than slick. As stated above, all of the trail work by @pooriggy and his trail hobbits is outstanding! (But don't make it too easy!! ;))

Big tree down on Grand Tour right by the cabin. Also tree down on Rocky Point trail just east of the dock (counter clockwise away from the dock). And finally, smaller on in Huber on valley View. All probably need a chain saw.

Place was riding great today.
2 trees down at the bottom of the water tower DH just before the short climb back to the fire road.
Tree across the trail near the cabin on grand tour, been there for a bit already, some sketchy loose logs piled on either side.

Took the Twin Lights trail today as well and where the gate is to get on the twin lights property they put up a temporary fence at the end of the parking lot. It stretches to the old powerhouse on one end and the other end extends just past the dumpsters in the pic. I know that’s NJ state park property but maybe Iggy or someone at MCPS can inquire to them about it.
D55525EB-B5AE-47C3-9AC6-2170FA68DF13.jpeg
674E1F9A-4370-4824-8AE7-EF4EAD2E3158.jpeg
6DF37822-5C84-49A8-A648-775EC1B5C3BB.jpeg

Place was riding great today.
2 trees down at the bottom of the water tower DH just before the short climb back to the fire road.
Tree across the trail near the cabin on grand tour, been there for a bit already, some sketchy loose logs piled on either side.

Took the Twin Lights trail today as well and where the gate is to get on the twin lights property they put up a temporary fence at the end of the parking lot. It stretches to the old powerhouse on one end and the other end extends just past the dumpsters in the pic. I know that’s NJ state park property but maybe Iggy or someone at MCPS can inquire to them about it.View attachment 199373View attachment 199374View attachment 199375
Temporary fencing for crowd control, they are replacing roofing material. Should be done in 2wks, then fence will be gone.

Trees have already been reported.

I could really use help with some trail work.

If you ride here please come out to help us on Mondays from 9am-12pm.

We're meeting at Claypit lot tomorrow morning.

Thx

The temp fencing is up because they are doing construction on the roof and want to keep it safe ( I believe) At least that's what was happening a few days ago.

Rode water tower and Laurel for lunch break today.. figured I'd make a trail conditions report video ( hope you like it) ( be sure to watch in highest rez.. those leaves turn to digital mush otherwise)

Iggy that new turn into red dirt downhill sets you up really nicely for speed !!

The temp fencing is up because they are doing construction on the roof and want to keep it safe ( I believe) At least that's what was happening a few days ago.

Rode water tower and Laurel for lunch break today.. figured I'd make a trail conditions report video ( hope you like it) ( be sure to watch in highest rez.. those leaves turn to digital mush otherwise)

Iggy that new turn into red dirt downhill sets you up really nicely for speed !!
Looking good Steve!

That dude at the top of Laurel Ridge didn't want you to ride that log lol

Ride H+ H today. Is some one blowing leaves at Hartshorne? Definitely WAY more leaves on Huber trails.
Overall good conditions. Started a little slick with ice on the bridges out of the clay pit lot. But Trails were drying out by time we left .
It’s worth repeating; trail improvements here are top notch! Thanks Iggy and everyone else who helps out.

Ride H+ H today. Is some one blowing leaves at Hartshorne? Definitely WAY more leaves on Huber trails.
Overall good conditions. Started a little slick with ice on the bridges out of the clay pit lot. But Trails were drying out by time we left .
It’s worth repeating; trail improvements here are top notch! Thanks Iggy and everyone else who helps out.

I doubt anyone is blowing...just different trees. Rocky point is facing the coast/no barrier, so it has less deciduous trees/more wind; Huber is more protected from salt-spray, so it has more (denser) deciduous trees/less wind. If you look up while you're transiting from Laurel Ridge/Grand Tour over to Rocky Point, you can see it thin out/different trees take over. There are an absolute ton of chestnut/oak in Huber.

Funnily enough, there's an interpretive panel out on Sandy Hook about that exact thing. Maybe since the park is getting more traffic, @pooriggy can suggest getting interpretive panels installed on the Cuesta fire road (or the Twin Lights trail, since they could probably get some gubment grant money for it).

I was there last weekend and there def. Appeared to perfect path cleared by a blower.

Was there yesterday and had the same impression. Some of the trails appeared to be cleared of leaves. There were plenty of leaves on the sides of trail but path was cleared. This did not look like it was due of trail use or wind.

This was only on some trails.

Heavy rains earlier in week cleared leaves on center of some downhill trails. No one is blowing leaves.

Also Huber doesn't get nearly the same trail traffic as Hartshorne. Leaves at Hartshorne have got beaten down with traffic over last few weeks, Huber not so much.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions