Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Despite the cloudburst last night, the not-Rocky-Point section of Hartshorne/Claypit connector were in reasonably good shape this evening. I didn't ride lower Grand Tour or Rocky Point, so I can't comment, other than to say that lower GT was probably soggy, and RP was probably okay except for the first section clockwise.

Watch the skies, and it should be okay to ride in the AM provided it doesn't rain overnight.
I did Rocky Point today. It was fine other than the heat.

don

Did you stop to pour one out for features lost at the reroute at the bottom? :) Airing off that root when riding CCW was so nice.

We did some pruning in that area on Wed night. It was the first time I saw that area since I've been on the IR list. I think overall the re-route was done very well. If you are talking about that root/tree after the blacktop going CCW then I agree that was a fun little skip but it was blind and I was always worried coming into that next turn too hot and someone coming the other way. But good riddance to that area before the blacktop - it was wide and blown out. And after the massive rains that have been coming thru the tread seems to be holding well.

robcleary

A few mud pockets, but majority was good. Almost lost my front wheel on a sandpit on Grand Tour, sometimes they're fun drifty sections but if you lock up your front it gets sketchy quick 😅

Karate Monkey

Be careful coming down trail from the water tower. Huge hole/washout that is hard to see until its too late!

Assuming you are talking about the section of grand tour with a 3' drop over the tree roots. If not, please be a bit more specific :)

robcleary

Assuming you are talking about the section of grand tour with a 3' drop over the tree roots. If not, please be a bit more specific :)
I think they might be referring to that section. I climbed up that and it seemed more washed out that usual, but I haven't been to Hartshorne enough times to be sure.

(And by climbed I mean walked my bike up)

Bikeworks

Thinking about hitting up Hartshorne for the first time tomorrow. HT or FS (latter is an Enduro) and any pointers/tips?

robcleary

Thinking about hitting up Hartshorne for the first time tomorrow. HT or FS (latter is an Enduro) and any pointers/tips?
I've seen both there, so it's more a matter of preference. I've only ridden my Jeffsy there (trail/Enduroish FS) and it handles everything pretty confidently. The tech sections will probably be a little trickier on a hardtail.

Bikeworks

I've seen both there, so it's more a matter of preference. I've only ridden my Jeffsy there (trail/Enduroish FS) and it handles everything pretty confidently. The tech sections will probably be a little trickier on a hardtail.
Ok, good to know. I'm really pushing myself to ride the HT as I am still learning (I'm a roadie) and I feel it forces me to ride smarter. Been doing the trails out by me in SI, which are pretty tame. Hit up 6MR finally a few weeks ago (it was terrific) and Wildcat Ridge (not so much on a HT), so it's a work in progress

robcleary

Ok, good to know. I'm really pushing myself to ride the HT as I am still learning (I'm a roadie) and I feel it forces me to ride smarter. Been doing the trails out by me in SI, which are pretty tame. Hit up 6MR finally a few weeks ago (it was terrific) and Wildcat Ridge (not so much on a HT), so it's a work in progress
Yeah tech-wise it's not crazy compared to North Jersey stuff. Mostly root gardens and small roll-able drops, so well within hardtail levels. I guess I consider it techy compared to South Jersey stuff or White Clay, but nothing down here is very technical. I've been tempted to drag out my hardtail more often as well, it really helps reinforce good habits.

Karate Monkey

@pooriggy it occurs to me that @Flow is probably talking about the section right past the water tower access road, where someone chopped out the roots that were holding all the shit up. It got super bad recently, and hopefully ( :rolleyes: ) highlighted to the dork who cut the crap out that it was actually performing a function.

CommandoStyle

57355BB8-4BCB-4866-BA5D-66C8F5EBFC68.jpeg

Here (approx)

don

CommandoStyle is correct. That is the spot and it went from bad to worse this week. Hole will swallow your front wheel if you approach too slow.
That area has needed work for as long as I can think. That is what happens with fall line sections, sandy mix material and hard summer rains.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We will be working on this section of Grand Tour on Tuesday the 20th at 9am.

If you are available please come out and help, this area needs a lot of work.

If you are not a registered volunteer message me for details as to how to be eligible to work on TM sessions.

Also, if this date does not work but you would like to help fix this section of Grand Tour, message me. We will have more TM dates to address this area.

I'd like to see more of the mtb community come out for these, you can make a difference.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
PXL_20210716_151541162.jpg
We got a jump on eroded sections of the Water Tower climb on Grand Tour. Larry and @Karate Monkey helped with the lower tree root wash this morning and I knocked out the worst offender further up top the other day.

We still have a lot more to do, fill out an application and reach out to me if you can come to Tuesdays TM or wish to join us in the future.

Karate Monkey

View attachment 162530We got a jump on eroded sections of the Water Tower climb on Grand Tour. Larry and @Karate Monkey helped with the lower tree root wash this morning and I knocked out the worst offender further up top the other day.

We still have a lot more to do, fill out an application and reach out to me if you can come to Tuesdays TM or wish to join us in the future.

Rode this twice both directions this morning--it works just as well as it did before if you could clean it, with the added bonus of not killing you if you tap your front brake or try to roll over it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions