Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

AndyJ

Nice!!!
Some more trivia it's pronounced harts-horne.

However, I most always pronounce it the other way for some reason.
It's funny, I've mentioned Harts-horne in conversations and had people say, "oh, you mean Hart-shorne?" Umm, no, I meant Harts-horne. :) I remember noticing that most of the news reporters mispronounced it in their stories on that Apple Watch doofus. I even corrected the Wikipedia page, where somebody had written the pronunciation as "heart shorn". I guess the t-s break just seems to flow better than s-h.

Last edited:

smw

Was in Huber ~2P. Excellent all around, except for the Brown's Dock side of the 'Meadow Ramble' connector (you know, the special rutted out spot that's been there forever-and-a-day). Seems like it might be a good continuation of the work in that area they did last year @pooriggy .

My singlespeed has finally been baptized in the home park, though the gearing is too tall for here. Need to add a couple of teeth sprocket for when I ride here. If you heard howling, that was me stalling at the top of a climb and tipping into the only [apparently] thorn patch in the park.
Can you pin a spot on a map where that problem area is located?

Better to tip over in the one thorn patch than the 1000s of poison ivy patches! You must have good luck :)

Karate Monkey

Can you pin a spot on a map where that problem area is located?

Better to tip over in the one thorn patch than the 1000s of poison ivy patches! You must have good luck :)

It's the northern most "Y" intersection on Valley View--the top of the climb next to the horse farm.

*edit* West side of the trail, but I would suspect it's everywhere up there. Not that I went looking for it.

*edit edit* I thought it was weird that you were asking about thorn patches off trail. The muddy ruts are at (40.39027, -74.03843).

smw

It's the northern most "Y" intersection on Valley View--the top of the climb next to the horse farm.

*edit* West side of the trail, but I would suspect it's everywhere up there. Not that I went looking for it.

*edit edit* I thought it was weird that you were asking about thorn patches off trail. The muddy ruts are at (40.39027, -74.03843).
Lol. Yes, was asking about the location for the new muddy ruts. Is the area you're talking about the same location where we repaired the perennially muddy spot last summer? Or is it a different spot but close by? The existing trail crosses a known lowpoint where water shed from the above field drains.

Karate Monkey

Lol. Yes, was asking about the location for the new muddy ruts. Is the area you're talking about the same location where we repaired the perennially muddy spot last summer? Or is it a different spot but close by? The existing trail crosses a known lowpoint where water shed from the above field drains.

This is the spot "downstream" of the last repair, right near the defunct lot.

Karate Monkey

Conditions excellent, other than one corner on Rocky point headed clockwise (you know the one).

Who do we talk to to start a petition to rename "Many Log Run"? Maintenance(?) cut/dragged out every tree that was on the trail, even the ones that were worn into bumps.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Conditions excellent, other than one corner on Rocky point headed clockwise (you know the one).

Who do we talk to to start a petition to rename "Many Log Run"? Maintenance(?) cut/dragged out every tree that was on the trail, even the ones that were worn into bumps.
They removed every single one? Really!? I haven’t been there in a few weeks just due to my schedule and the parking situation but there was nothing in need of removal. Personally, I like a few logovers here and there.

Karate Monkey

They removed every single one? Really!? I haven’t been there in a few weeks just due to my schedule and the parking situation but there was nothing in need of removal. Personally, I like a few logovers here and there.

The only ones left are the roots that have become 'water bars'.

robcleary

Heading up this afternoon to check out Hartshorn for the first time. I assume everything's pretty dry right now? (Or at least it's been in S. Jersey)

Reactions: Tim

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

Funny. I peddled up that Wednesday and "thought" I was on MLR, but there were no logs. That trail needs a re-name.

Reactions: Tim

robcleary

Man the hype about Hartshorne is real. Worth the hour 1/2 drive easily, the techy downhill stuff is addictive.

Oh and the trails were mostly dry, a few soft spots here and there but otherwise excellent. Pretty quiet of bikers too, a lot of hikers. Weather was perfect, nice low humidity shore air with plenty of tree cover.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Funny. I peddled up that Wednesday and "thought" I was on MLR, but there were no logs. That trail needs a re-name.

I actually stopped and took this picture on Friday when I was there...
C563E8E4-F25E-47CC-9E81-3636BCA619AB.jpeg

Oh and I noticed this clever little cover up...
DEBDB0C9-7954-41D4-908F-0535C9DF0FAB.jpeg

So it seems that Monmouth County has some sort of plan for the parks. They are building a new Claypit parking lot. There has been more regular TM. They cut and removed all of the trail obstacles (many logs), some of which have been “features” for several years or more. There has also been a bunch of work to create grade reversals (in a practical sense) to divert water from the trails. Does anyone know if there is actually a master plan or overall goal for the parks? For years we have complained that MCPS doesn’t GAF but now suddenly there is a lot going on.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Read this.

I'm not sure why the log overs got removed. Honestly I don't really find myself paying attention to log overs. Kevin stb pointed out in another thread that they don't add much to flow trails, I'm in that same camp. I recall years ago when the rangers cut out the log overs at Chimney Rock people went nuts. CR is way better then it was years ago...even without all the log overs. I know this is not what some of you want to hear, you want things to remain exactly the same. My reply is go with the flow and accept what we do, or don't and maintain a silent protest. 😀

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah so here's the thing about logs.

Gravity.
Always.
Wins.

They'll be back. As @pooriggy mentions about CR, they cut out all the logs a few years ago. I was actually in on one of those TMs. It was the local BSA troop leading this charge IIRC. My stance was...who cares? They'll grow back. Go ride CR now. There are plenty of logs.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions