Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

mfennell

The Park System hired a contractor to increase the size of parking lot and install a stone dust path around the perimeter for walkers. You can still take road over to Huber while work is being completed.

The Claypit parking lot is temporarily closed while work is being completed.
It's way too late now, of course, but that seems like such a waste. In 6 months, people are going to forget that place even exists. I never saw that lot get crowded pre-COVID.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's way too late now, of course, but that seems like such a waste. In 6 months, people are going to forget that place even exists. I never saw that lot get crowded pre-COVID.
The reason the Claypit lot was installed initially was to phase out or reduce the size of the Buttermilk parking area. Once folks discovered the Claypit lot it seemed clear that the Buttermilk parking was still needed, even before Covid.

Claypit lot was busy precovid on the wknds, I can remember finishing a ride and seeing a cop filling out an accident report when someone backed into a car.

While mtbers may not appreciate a stone dust path around the perimeter, there are park users that would.

smw

It's Friday am and I can see standing water in the farmers field behind my house, so I'm guessing Harts/Huber is still shedding water with all the rain. It probably should be dry-ish by the weekend except the known problem areas. FYI there is a parks volunteer trail work day at rockypoint Saturday am. If you're riding, come by and introduce yourself (ves.)

Ronnie B

I rode Clayton this afternoon and although it typically dries out well I was surprised how good it was. Hardly any mud
Those were some serious winds we got last night, today was windy as heck but last night my drapes were flying back and forth.

smw

I just returned from taking a full lap through huber. Conditions are perfect. Traction for days with the ground moisture. All the sizeable deadfall has been cut while passable deadfall remains. I'm happy to see the work a few of us did on rebuilding the tread in the swampy trail section is intact and dry.

AndyJ

Great to see the beginning (or end, depending on which direction you prefer to ride it) of Rocky Point open again. Nice job on the reroute; thanks to all those involved! Overall conditions are really good - the fun meter was reading just about as high as it could go today.

rustynuts

There's a nasty tree on Valley View, not to far from the Fox Hollow intersection that needs to be cut. Local riding buddy said it smacked him in the head but if he was a little taller it would of thrown him off the bike. Chris can you notify the ranger? (not sure if your there on a daily basis, etc).

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's a nasty tree on Valley View, not to far from the Fox Hollow intersection that needs to be cut. Local riding buddy said it smacked him in the head but if he was a little taller it would of thrown him off the bike. Chris can you notify the ranger? (not sure if your there on a daily basis, etc).
Can you or buddy circle area with tree, I can relay this information accurately.
Thx!
Screenshot_20210322-131521.png

Reactions: don

rustynuts

I am awful with technology, but the blue square to the right of the page is where the tree is on valley view. Let me try to edit that pic.

mfennell

26 years of riding there and I still needed that map to know where you were talking about. The only non-Strava trail name I know in hartshorne is Rocky Point. :)

Alfonzo

Rocky Point was perfect yesterday. And additional Kudos to the trail team for getting that re-route together around the fallen tree between the paved roads. Slamming on my brakes where the "Trail Closed" sign was had signaled a "crash" on my Garmin more than once :)
I'll be at the April 10th TM to pay it forward.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions