Hartshorne/Huber Conditions 3/14

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Rode Hartshorne and Huber this afternoon on the cross bike. Last time I rode both, pre-snow, was 1/27. Once the snow fell and iced over, both places became pretty much unridable. I knew it would take a while for conditions to be OK after the melt.

Apparently, there were plenty of people who thought otherwise, because Hartshorne is really torn up. I've been riding there since 1992, and I don't think I've ever seen it in this bad shape. Just huge patchs of ruts and some seriously accelerated erosion that is clearly the result of idiot riding practices. The higher parts of the ridges are perfectly fine, but all of the areas where water tends to collect are a mess. I skipped one section that clearly was still very wet. Lots of debris all over, and a huge pile of blowdowns on Rocky Point that is impassable.

Huber is in better shape. What trail damage there is, is almost all equestrian-produced. No big blowdowns and a lot less small debris on the trails here.

Both places are largely ridable at this point, Huber particularly, but a lot of work is gonna have to go into Hartshorne to fix the damage which was clearly caused by riders.

I'd recommend sticking to Allaire until things dry out some more.

Last edited:

bobkennelly

Allaire

Rode Hartshorne and Huber this afternoon on the cross bike. Last time I rode both, pre-snow, was 1/27. Once the snow fell and iced over, both places became pretty much unridable. I knew it would take a while for conditions to be OK after the melt.

Apparently, there were plenty of people who thought otherwise, because Hartshorne is really torn up. I've been riding there since 1992, and I don't think I've ever seen it in this bad shape. Just huge patchs of ruts and some seriously accelerated erosion that is clearly the result of idiot riding practices. The higher parts of the ridges are perfectly fine, but all of the areas where water tends to collect are a mess. I skipped one section that clearly was still very wet. Lots of debris all over, and a huge pile of blowdowns on Rocky Point that is impassable.

Huber is in better shape. What trail damage there is, is almost all equestrian-produced. No big blowdowns and a lot less small debris on the trails here.

Both places are largely ridable at this point, Huber particularly, but a lot of work in gonna have to go into Hartshorne to fix the damage which was clearly caused by riders.

I'd recommend sticking to Allaire until things dry out some more.

Perhaps Sunday? Looks like snow - rain mix for Friday into Saturday, cold too...

Top Bottom