Hardtail XC vs CX vs whatever other N+1 bike

Just finished building this up!

I've run it 1X, but like the SS at the moment. Ultra light, super stiff.

Considering drop bars for next geared conversion, but happy for now.

Currently has 2.2 Ikons on it, but have some 45c Riddlers as well.
This. Flat bar, fast tires for road stuff (compass 35s or 38s i was thinking) and still raceable off road. Cool! Steep gearing for SS it looks like, good on you- legs feed the wolf

I hike out near mohonk occasionally, always wanted to ride there. Those carriage roads in minnewaska look really fun.
My hardtail 29er is my favorite bike, and since I cracked the frame on my cross bike I realized how versatile my 29er is. I can’t really justify another cross bike since I’m just as happy on the HT and worry less about flats if a fire road gets chunkier. I also have a rigid fork and soma eagle bars I switch over occasionally. The eagle bars work well with mountain trigger shifters and don’t need to be un taped like drop bars.
F5B49677-F156-437E-902C-70BD1EC1A989.jpeg

This. Flat bar, fast tires for road stuff (compass 35s or 38s i was thinking) and still raceable off road. Cool! Steep gearing for SS it looks like, good on you- legs feed the wolf
Thanks! Its 32:16. A little steep but good for commuting, gravel etc. Will post some photos with the Riddler 45's on there!

IMHO its just easier to have more than 1 bike.

could you have "one bike to do it all" (swapping wheels, tires, perhaps handlebars)? I guess. but then youre swapping stuff between rides. IMHO, too many variables and just not worth it.

personally, I only need 2 bikes: mtb and gravel bike. the mtb does what an mtb does and the gravel does the mixed surface rides (fire roads, nontech singletrack, road, etc.) and doubles as a road bike. If I am doing a pure road ride I'll just pump up the pressure significantly more than a gravel ride. I dont even switch the tires. i dont care that the knobby cross tires are slowing me slightly.

Back
Top Bottom