Hardtail Talk!!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The new 2022 version of the Chameleon dropped today:

The Santa Cruz tax is high on that bike. :) I joke but I think the 3k version has a similar build to the current version.

-I'd love a back-to-back with the current/old model.
-WTF is with the Fox axle adjustment?
-Ugh, internal routing for the brakes.
-I don't really understand 27.5 for a hardtail as it can make the ride rough but I'd like to try it.
-Bugs me they don't have a SS build.
-Dropouts looked crappy on the website, but the video shows they're well thought out and I like the indicators.
-Those measuring calipers are pretty baller.
-Santa Cruz finally stopped using those horrible grips that came on all their bikes.
-I'm writing a letter to my house representative that 170mm cranks shouldn't just be 175mm with a moved pedal axle hole.

Ian F

-Steve commented the ride review will definitely compare the new version vs. the previous one he liked so much.
-No idea... Because I generally have to remove the front wheels on my bikes for storage in my house, I run forks with QR axles.
-I'm somewhat indifferent... although I do need to shorten the rear brake hose on my own Chameleon. It runs GX AXS, so no rear derailleur cable. Eventually, my plan is to swap my Reverb AXS between my Megatower and Chameleon, so it'll ditch the internal dropper cable as well.
-I currently have mine set up with 27.5+ although I can also run it as a full 29er.
-Both of my Santa Cruz bikes were built from bare frames, so build kits don't matter as much to me. Part of the reason I switched to AXS was it "should" make converting to a SS fairly easy.
-Agreed. The drop-outs are cool. The previous version isn't much different, tho.
-Yeah... he's had those for awhile. Very cool. I remember asking him where he got them, but it's been awhile I don't remember now.
-I rarely run OEM grips. I have a stock of grips on hand.
-I currently run 170s, but I'm debating on getting 165s for mine.

djm

Curious to hear thoughts on 29+?? I'm currently on a 29r rigid SS but wouldn't mind some extra cush and traction. Maybe a Stache 9 with a carbon fork and wheelset to lighten things up.

Karate Monkey

Curious to hear thoughts on 29+?? I'm currently on a 29r rigid SS but wouldn't mind some extra cush and traction. Maybe a Stache 9 with a carbon fork and wheelset to lighten things up.

*chortle* good luck finding one, but yes, they are good rigid singlespeed candidates. I think mine with White Ind rear/XT front and carbon rims was about 22ish with a suspension fork.

Tires are kinda tough to find right now, though, so keep that in mind. Not much point in going full-sail to 3.0" tires if you can't get any.

Strix

I don’t know much about +tires but my last bike was a Stache it was ok, it all depends on the riding you do. It’s more of XC bike then something you whip around.

one piece crank

9D9D539D-D30C-45C3-A055-8D082F21DC20.jpeg
Looks like Danny figured out what to do with the long cables.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a stache 9.7 which i upgraded the wheels to carbon, its a TON of fun to ride, climbs well and descends well for a hardtail, your not going to be keeping up with the FS guys tho. I will say it is one of the stiffest hardtails i have ridden and if your technique is sloppy or off it WILL beat you up, just keep that in mind.

I also run it with regular 29 wheels/tires depending on where i am riding so that does work quite nicely as well.

Ian F

Hardtail Party review - part 1 (since he plans to get 29er drop-outs and test it as a full 29er).

Spoiler: He likes it a lot. Better than the old one for his trails, but for what I plan to use a hardtail for it doesn't seem like it would be an improvement over my current model for East Coast riding.

Last edited:
Reactions: djm

djm

Hardtail Party review - part 1 (since he plans to get 29er drop-outs and test it as a full 29er).

Spoiler: He likes it a lot. Better than the old one for his trails, but for what I plan to use a hardtail for it doesn't seem like it would be an improvement over my current model for East Coast riding.

Love the detail of his reviews. Never considered moving over to AL but the chameleon would be 1st on my list.

Ian F

That Canfield is a neat looking bike. The frame + fork options are interesting. I do like the Helm after pretty much ignoring the factory tuning recommendations...

Top Bottom